Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobo911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
How well does the current macbook air's handle the 1080p movies?

Romf

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2011
Paris, France
I have the previous one (with older processor) and it's absolutely fine, big mkvs with 1080p work perfectly. So no worries about the current one ;)

darkheroz

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Bulgaria
Look in other forum threads, some user have troubles playing HD movies via Youtube in Safari. Me too :) Decision is using Chrome instead.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Can I use H.264 to watch all youtube videos or just some of them?

You can do this even without clicktoflash, just by going to youtube.com/html5 and opting in to their html5 player.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Can I use H.264 to watch all youtube videos or just some of them?

I havent had one not work

----------

You can do this even without clicktoflash, just by going to youtube.com/html5 and opting in to their html5 player.

That restricts what videos will play. Some videos are restricted based on advertising....click2flash just goes to the source...regardless of DRM BS.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

I havent had one not work

Useful to know thanks, the main reasons I have problems with my mac is due to flash. It is awful.
----------

That restricts what videos will play. Some videos are restricted based on advertising....click2flash just goes to the source...regardless of DRM BS.

Are you saying that I wont be able to watch videos that have advertising attached if i opt-in, or just that I wont be able to see the advertising?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Are you saying that I wont be able to watch videos that have advertising attached if i opt-in, or just that I wont be able to see the advertising?

You don't see the advertising as it relies on the flash player, but the video is still available in most cases.

Some videos are not available with the H.264 player, though this is mostly not the case, it still happens from time to time.

In my experience, click to flash breaks a few sites on Safari, Soundcloud never works properly, for example. YouTube is pretty hit or miss also.

I mostly use Chrome by default anyway, as it's still a Webkit browser, and it's slightly faster at page rendering than Safari.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
You don't see the advertising as it relies on the flash player, but the video is still available in most cases.

Some videos are not available with the H.264 player, though this is mostly not the case, it still happens from time to time.

In my experience, click to flash breaks a few sites on Safari, Soundcloud never works properly, for example. YouTube is pretty hit or miss also.

I mostly use Chrome by default anyway, as it's still a Webkit browser, and it's slightly faster at page rendering than Safari.

Great thanks for that comprehensive answer. I have opted-in and will give it a try. No-advertising is a huge bonus actually.

I use 3 browsers,: Safari, Firefox and Opera. Opera overall has the best functionality, but no-matter what they say it has always been buggy for me on the mac and I can't rely on it. Safari is pretty good these days too.

I tend to watch youtube videos fairly frequently and flash rarely fails to lock-up my computer, or see the cpu temps jump to 100 degrees celcius. Always flash is the culprit. The sooner someone kills flash and replaces it with something better the sooner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.