Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Launch Meetups

Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1
HighNoon
macrumors newbie

Smile iPad 3 - Dallas, TX

Anyone in the Dallas area going to camp out for the iPad 3? If I can preorder online I will probably take that option but if not then I will camp out at a store. I haven't decided if I'd like to camp out at an Apple store or a non-Apple store.

Has anyone camped out at a Dallas area Apple store before? If so, which one and how was it? The only store I've been in is the Northpark one, but I'm not sure how camping out would work there since it is inside the mall.
HighNoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Icculus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Icculus Send a message via MSN to Icculus Send a message via Yahoo to Icculus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNoon View Post
Anyone in the Dallas area going to camp out for the iPad 3? If I can preorder online I will probably take that option but if not then I will camp out at a store. I haven't decided if I'd like to camp out at an Apple store or a non-Apple store.

Has anyone camped out at a Dallas area Apple store before? If so, which one and how was it? The only store I've been in is the Northpark one, but I'm not sure how camping out would work there since it is inside the mall.
Camping at a mall isn't bad, I am hitting up Stonebriar in Frisco, TX on launch day, probably get there around 5-7am somewhere around there. Don't camp out overnight, definitely not worth it. Just get there REALLY early and you will be fine.
Icculus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
itsjared
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
Camping at a mall isn't bad, I am hitting up Stonebriar in Frisco, TX on launch day, probably get there around 5-7am somewhere around there. Don't camp out overnight, definitely not worth it. Just get there REALLY early and you will be fine.
I didn't camp-out but I was out there by 2 or 3 am. The Willowbend mall is stupid. Talking about lines out 1/4 mile long. The Stonebriar mall is interesting and risky. At Stonebriar we had a line on top of the parking garage and (un beknownst to us) one underneath. There was no one from the mall officially to tell us which door to camp at. Needless to say all of us who were first in line on top were all of the sudden behind 100+ people.
Moral of the story is, at Stonebriar, you don't know which door they'll open first. At least at Willow Bend everyone lines up at the food court.
If i think about it tomorrow I may call the mall management and make sure Stonebriar has a clean POA.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:28 PM   #4
sfwalter
macrumors 65816

Although I pre-ordered one for myself I decided to get one for my GF. So I will be in line real early around 4:00am at Willow bend.
sfwalter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
itsjared
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjared View Post
I didn't camp-out but I was out there by 2 or 3 am. The Willowbend mall is stupid. Talking about lines out 1/4 mile long. The Stonebriar mall is interesting and risky. At Stonebriar we had a line on top of the parking garage and (un beknownst to us) one underneath. There was no one from the mall officially to tell us which door to camp at. Needless to say all of us who were first in line on top were all of the sudden behind 100+ people.
Moral of the story is, at Stonebriar, you don't know which door they'll open first. At least at Willow Bend everyone lines up at the food court.
If i think about it tomorrow I may call the mall management and make sure Stonebriar has a clean POA.
I talked with StoneBriar Mall today and they are clueless, I kept getting a run around about how everything is controlled by Apple. I said, "Who opens the doors to the mall?" and the lady said "we do" and then I said "Well then it's not all on Apple is it?"

She was no use. So my suggestion would be to get in line on the underside of the garage or the door closest to the ice rink on the bottom level.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:35 PM   #6
gmikesell
macrumors regular

Stonebriar mall will be a mess, no doubt about it!

I got my iPad 2 from Stonebriar last year and that was a mess of epic proportions! Two lines, one on top and one on bottom level. Then, at about 3am the guards decide that the line isn't cool and we're all commanded to return to our cars under threat of manual removal. Then, at 5am, they open the doors and it's a mad rush by everyone to get through that door and line up outside of Apple. I was #15 on the bottom level. Next thing I knew, I was #50 outside of Apple. The 16gb iPads were sold out and they only had 32gb White 3G AT&T as well as some stock of Verizon and AT&T 64gb (different flavors). I'll be curious how things work out this year.
gmikesell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:54 PM   #7
isaac65
macrumors member

Any word on how the lines are at Knox street or Stonebriar? I'd really like to go to Stonebriar tomorrow morning but I'm afraid of what will happen when they open the doors. I don't want to have to run to the Apple Store only to find out that I lost my place in line. I wonder how the line will be at Northpark...
isaac65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Righteous
macrumors member

I just drove by the food court at Willow Bend where people usually que up and it was dead. Not a single person there FYI.
Righteous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:25 PM   #9
isaac65
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I just drove by the food court at Willow Bend where people usually que up and it was dead. Not a single person there FYI.
Cool, thanks!

Anyone see what Knox street looks like?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:27 PM   #10
scottjua
macrumors newbie

Knox had iJustin and two others camping when I left this evening at 8pm.
scottjua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:50 AM   #11
isaac65
macrumors member

Anyone awake at the Knox Street store in Dallas? Just wanted an update on how many people there are in line. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Bump, looking for a Knox update. Thinking I may try after work today.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:43 AM   #13
phantomsauce
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Bump, looking for a Knox update. Thinking I may try after work today.
There were over 100 people there this morning. I got there around 5:40AM and was about the 50-60th person in line. I know they were for sure sold out of the Verizon LTE 64GB model, not sure about the others. I heard from someone that walked by the front of the store that employees were turning people away at around 7:40AM. I snagged a 32GB White AT&T model.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Glad I gave in a bought one from BB near the office over the phone. Went around 11:00 and picked it up. No muss, no fuss.

But sad I missed hanging w/ my camping buddies this time.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Launch Meetups