Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
While this concept may look cool, it would actually suck because it's totally impractical. There's a reason the iPad has a bezel, and a thick one at that - it's so you have a place to hold the device. Try place a thumb on your screen, and then trying to perform a function with the other hand - it doesn't work. You need to be able to hold the device without touching the screen.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I don't see why they couldn't do this.

You can already turn your iPad off by touching it with the back of your iPod touch.

They should really get together with these guys.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
lol at no bezel and magnets strong enough to hold two iPads adjacent when picked up

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
They should really get together with these guys.

Why? No, seriously, why?

It's really really easy to make a concept device. Just look at the car shows every year where manufacturers churn out metal sculptures which look magnificent, offer a glimpse of the future... but that can't be made using mass market techniques and don't have space for features such as an engine.

With this where do you put your hands to avoid random touch inputs? How do you give non-technical users a way to go home without learning complicated swipes or taps? How do you generate the '3D Hologram' stuf? How do you use NFC to link two video outputs in perfect sync? How do you give something that's all screen to a young child to use without massively increasing the risk of it breaking (there isn't even an edge to protect the screen if it's dropped).

See the problems? Really easy to make something cool as a concept but then you have to make it work in the real world...

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
With this where do you put your hands to avoid random touch inputs? How do you give non-technical users a way to go home without learning complicated swipes or taps?

Apple has already mastered this. The iPhone and iPod touch, and the iPad, and actually even Android phones already know when the touch is unintended. I don't know how, but they do. Touch screens have already been mastered and there is actually no need for a bezel any more. Or even if it had an invisible "bezel".. it would still be cool. It looks less like a picture frame, and more like an iPad!

How do you generate the '3D Hologram' stuf?

We've already done this. Remember the 2008 Obama election? Hologram!

How do you use NFC to link two video outputs in perfect sync?

I don't actually care about the NFC, but that's coming. People have been trying to get that into production pretty soon. It'll be standard.

You should open your eyes, even Bill Gates says that things are going to change. I mean, scanning any thing instead of a bar code or QR code, when a camera looks at a chair, it knows it's a chair, a Mac, it knows it's a Mac.

I'm ready for the future! Touchscreen mirrors and Windows Blinds! Hurry up people- let's go!

Last edited:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
What you see in the video is not going to happen on the iPad 3. It is good work, but dreaming!:rolleyes:

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Cool idea, but it would drive me nuts having to watch a video with my thumb blocking part of the screen. Also sorry but, we're just not technologically ready for holograms yet.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Apple has already mastered this. The iPhone and iPod touch, and the iPad, and actually even Android phones already know when the touch is unintended. I don't know how, but they do. Touch screens have already been mastered and there is actually no need for a bezel any more. Or even if it had an invisible "bezel".. it would still be cool. It looks less like a picture frame, and more like an iPad!

Uh...no. Sorry but no. How, for instance, does the iPad know when you intend to touch an icon on the left or right of the home screen and when you're just holding the device? Yes there's tech that can work to a certain point but you're utterly ignoring how people use these devices.

We've already done this. Remember the 2008 Obama election? Hologram!

Yes. Well done. And how, perchance, are you going to fit multiple projectors and the power source for them into a 10mm thin iPad?

I don't actually care about the NFC, but that's coming. People have been trying to get that into production pretty soon. It'll be standard.

You should open your eyes, even Bill Gates says that things are going to change. I mean, scanning any thing instead of a bar code or QR code, when a camera looks at a chair, it knows it's a chair, a Mac, it knows it's a Mac.

I'm ready for the future! Touchscreen mirrors and Windows Blinds! Hurry up people- let's go!

So you're saying that things are going to change and comparing this concept to a device that's being released TOMORROW? What can you do with today's technology? How do you build this tech so it doesn't kill battery, fits in the space you have, has sufficient processing power to give a good user experience and doesn't cost a fortune?

Again you're taking concept ideas, sketches of what could happen in the future, and saying it should be a shipping product right now (well, in a day anyway). This is just silly. By all means get excited about what could happen in the future but try to remember it also has to work in the real world.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
The funny thing is how conservative these stupid concept videos are. Nothing they show is possible in the way they show it, so why don't they just go for broke and show a mind-controllable weightless iPad which can be made invisible and reduced to the size of pencil eraser?

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
The funny thing is how conservative these stupid concept videos are. Nothing they show is possible in the way they show it, so why don't they just go for broke and show a mind-controllable weightless iPad which can be made invisible and reduced to the size of pencil eraser?

Oh, please. That's like saying "Well, we'll never be able to turn a desktop into a laptop, and a laptop into a tablet."

I say it's both possible and probable. All you're doing is condensing it, making it smaller.

I've often wondered why the battery industry is not moving as fast as the cellphone industry. It's 2012. We should have 24 hour battery life by now.

Imagine that. A smartphone you'd only have to charge once a week.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Oh, please. That's like saying "Well, we'll never be able to turn a desktop into a laptop, and a laptop into a tablet."

No it's not like that at all, gg motoleo

The point for anyone else who didn't get it is that these videos are showing things which aren't currently possible. Since they aren't limiting their concepts to what's feasible they might as well do something original (or shoot for the moon with ridiculous ideas) instead of rehashing concepts and designs which have been around for years.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
No it's not like that at all, gg motoleo

The point for anyone else who didn't get it is that these videos are showing things which aren't currently possible. Since they aren't limiting their concepts to what's feasible they might as well do something original (or shoot for the moon with ridiculous ideas) instead of rehashing concepts and designs which have been around for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6cNdhOKwi0
Microsoft does the same thing. I enjoy these videos but I hate that there are people out there that hate on real, existing products because they're not as futuristic as these totally fake CGI concepts.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
If there were some type of invisible bezel, that would be cool. But think if you were watching movies or something--inevitably your hand would get in the way of the movie. Sorry--bezel has to be there. I can see them thinning it down at some point, but probably not very much.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Crazy idea but what if it was an adjustable bezel? You can adjust the sizing of the bezel and gain more screen real estate if wanted or keep it stick sized bezel?

I know sounds stupid.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Crazy idea but what if it was an adjustable bezel? You can adjust the sizing of the bezel and gain more screen real estate if wanted or keep it stick sized bezel?

I know sounds stupid.

A lot less stupid than 'the bezel is useless and the lack of one would be something to get excited about'.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I really don't care about the bezel. But the lack of one isn't necessarily a good idea.

I mean you know the black bezel on the iPhone on the top and bottom? It's there for a reason. When you turn that thing to landscape, that's where your thumbs go.

To get an effect of what it would be like without those black strips, hold if by the middle.

You don't like that now do you?

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I really don't care about the bezel. But the lack of one isn't necessarily a good idea.

Yet you're the only one in the thread who said it would be a good idea:

Touch screens have already been mastered and there is actually no need for a bezel any more.

For the hard-of-reading, only two posts ago I said that an adjustable bezel would be way less stupid than getting excited about no bezel at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.