Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I did a quick search in the forums and didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd start one. This is an issue that has plagued me since the day I purchased my white iPad 2(around launch time last year) but not enough to warrant an exchange. But I've noticed that my white iPad 2 holds finger prints much more easily than my black iPad 1 did. This really bugs me because my understanding is that all iPads and iPhones come with an oleo phobic coating to prevent such finger prints but feel as if my white iPad 2 doesn't have this. I'm contemplating buying the iPad 3, and prefer the white to the black, but refuse to buy another white iPad if it's going to be a major fingerprint magnet. Anyone else have this problem?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Not true at all I have a white iPod touch and black iPhone and the iPod always looks spotless where as the iPhone looks filthy with finger prints

I never said it was true for everyone, but in my specific case it's most definitely true. I was just curious if I was the only one suffering with this problem. If it helps, I'm fairly certain I got an iPad with one of the LG produced displays instead of the higher quality Samsung ones.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Same here. I have one black and one white as well as a white iPhone and the white shows a lot less fingerprints than any of my black devices.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I agree, the aluminum backing picks up a lot of "grubbiness" though. I'm not sure about the iPhone though....

Sorry, I should have been more specific, but I was generally referring to the screen. My iPad stays in a case, and rarely gets removed so I imagine the aluminum backing stays fairly clean. I'm more or less referring to the screen here.

Granted I haven't cleaned the screen in a few days, here's a pic depicting the problem I have. I sold my black iPad 1 a while ago, otherwise I'd take a side by side photo comparing the 2. Maybe this is normal for iPads in general, but I don't remember my black iPad holding fingerprints as easily.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 160

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Sorry, I should have been more specific, but I was generally referring to the screen. My iPad stays in a case, and rarely gets removed so I imagine the aluminum backing stays fairly clean. I'm more or less referring to the screen here.

Granted I haven't cleaned the screen in a few days, here's a pic depicting the problem I have. I sold my black iPad 1 a while ago, otherwise I'd take a side by side photo comparing the 2. Maybe this is normal for iPads in general, but I don't remember my black iPad holding fingerprints as easily.

The problem I see with what you are saying is that I primarily see the fingerprints on the black screen. The white bezel, I see no prints at a glance. I definitely see them on black bezels.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't see any fingerprints on the white bezel.

Agreed, and again maybe it's just me. But my black iPad 1 didn't seem to cary as many fingerprints on the screen as my white one. Maybe the color is irrelevant here but I know this thing is a magnet for fingerprints. Depending on what Apple announces today, perhaps I'll upgrade and get another white iPad. I just wanted to see if other white iPad owners were having this same problem. Looks like I might be one of the few.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Actually, dare I speculate that both the white and black hold the same amount of fingerprints.

The number of finger prints would remain the same. Color has nothing to do with it.

If you handle it 20x there will be 20x the finger prints. If your skin is oily that day, they will show more. If your skin is dry when you handle it, they will show less.

If you frequently wipe down the screen after use and periodically clean the microfibre cloth, you will see less evidence on your ipad. or iphone.

Just the facts m'aam.

As far as either color showing them more, you have to consider your skin chemistry, dryness, the angle of light when looking at the device that day as well as the type of crud you may or may not have left on your fingertips. Maybe even the temperature of the device at the time which may result in more smudgy finger prints depending on the skin oils.

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
I disagree. My husband has a black iPad and I have a white one and mine never shows fingerprints in any number CLOSE to his. That is one reason I strongly dislike the black iPad/iPhone.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

What does fingerprints on the screen have to do with the bezel :confused: The screens are the same on a white and a black iPad so fingerprints on the screen would be (relatively) the same. The bezel's would also have the same amount of fingerprinting, it's just the white would not show as much as the black.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Agreed, and again maybe it's just me. But my black iPad 1 didn't seem to cary as many fingerprints on the screen as my white one. Maybe the color is irrelevant here but I know this thing is a magnet for fingerprints. Depending on what Apple announces today, perhaps I'll upgrade and get another white iPad. I just wanted to see if other white iPad owners were having this same problem. Looks like I might be one of the few.

Sounds like maybe a generational difference between iPad 1 and iPad 2, or something with your specific unit.

The oleo-phobic coating won't keep fingerprints from appearing though as I understand, it just makes them easier to wipe off.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I have a white iPad 2 and the bezel never shows prints, but I always have a TON of prints on the screen itself. I use ShaggyMac's "Optimist Prime" (kind of like an iKlear spray) with a microfiber cloth when it gets too smudgy looking and that wipes all the prints off neatly.

My iPad 1 had less fingerprints but I think it was because I had GhostArmor on it back then. My iPad 2 has never had any kind of screen protection on the front (and the glass after a year is absolutely flawless still, no scratches).

I think at the point that the oleophobic coating wears off, you start seeing way more prints. The first few months I don't remember the prints being as crazy as they were later.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
You have to remember that the oleophobic coating wears off after a while also.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
OP is full of beans. I've had both black and white iPhones and iPads. The white shows FAR fewer fingerprints than the black.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

Wash your hands once in a while, that thing is like a science experiment with all those germs and oils on there....damn bro gross

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Wash your hands once in a while, that thing is like a science experiment with all those germs and oils on there....damn bro gross

Nice try, I'm very sanitary but the picture was taken to prove a point. Not that big of a deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.