Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
Didn't even know what a backup UPS was until a few days ago . . sounds like a better option than what I'm currently using with my iMac (Belkin surge protector).

I'm planning on plugging in 2 units to the UPS:
1. iMac (2011 iMac 27")
2. External HD (G-Drive)

I want the UPS to provide power to my iMac long enough for it to safely and automatically power down in case of a power outage when I'm away from my computer.

Found the following on amazon: APC BE750G Back-UPS ES 10-Outlet 750VA Master Control System
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Will this work for what I'm looking to accomplish?

Thanks

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I have a very similar APC UPS for my 2011 iMac, and it works great. It comes with a USB cable that you plug in to your iMac, and then you adjust your settings in the power preferences pane.
You can set the time for your iMac to shutdown, like 10 minutes with no power, 15 minutes, 5 minutes, whatever you like.
You can also set it to shutdown when the battery gets to a certain percentage, like 50% or something.
You can even turn on a battery gauge in the top right corner of your iMac, just like on a laptop, except it's monitoring the battery in the UPS.
You can't go wrong with an APC UPS.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
Thanks Madmic and Bear.

I was just confused about these things after reading suggestions from users. (output power capacity, joules rating, sine wave output etc . . . I was thinking WTF??) Just wanted something simple/effective without breaking the bank.

I think I will order it today

Last edited:

Yury

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
I'm using an APC Back-UPS ES 500VA for almost 4.5 years. 4 years was for pc/hackintosh and 6 months with iMac 2011. All works great.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
I'm using an APC Back-UPS ES 500VA for almost 4.5 years. 4 years was for pc/hackintosh and 6 months with iMac 2011. All works great.

Have u tested the "auto shutdown" feature in battery power with ur iMac (power settings - energy saver preferences)? Does it power down safely?

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
iMac have senstive Power Supplies. Always best to get Pure Sine Output. I have APC "step approximation" output Backup unit and when activated, my iMac's power supply humms. Thus, indicating its being stressed. For iMacs and other sensitive electronics, always best to get Pure Sine Output. For example, APC Smart-UPS product line. For sizing, use 850+ is good. More devices (like external HDDs, external wireless routers, etc.) into the Backup UPS unit, larger size it should be.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
iMac have senstive Power Supplies. Always best to get Pure Sine Output. I have APC "step approximation" output Backup unit and when activated, my iMac's power supply humms. Thus, indicating its being stressed. For iMacs and other sensitive electronics, always best to get Pure Sine Output. For example, APC Smart-UPS product line. For sizing, use 850+ is good. More devices (like external HDDs, external wireless routers, etc.) into the Backup UPS unit, larger size it should be.

Can u provide a amazon.com link to one that u would recommend for a 27" iMac?

I'll be plugging in 2 devices. iMac and an external HD

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
curtisinoc,

On the max price (with lots of plugged in devices), I'd recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331150651&sr=1-13

On the low price (with few plugged in devices), I'd recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1000PFCLCD-1000VA-600W-Compatible/dp/B00429N192/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Notes:
A - 850VA to 1000VA is enough power (support time) for iMac system to run 5+ minutes, then perform an automatic shutdown (via its USB connected cable) - when its power level becomes too low.
B - iMacs like Pure Sine Wave power. Step approximation makes sensitive electronics hum (sometimes sounding like little clicks). For iMacs, always pick "Pure Sine Wave" Backup UPS units.

If going with APC product, focus on their Smart-UPS line. APC Smart-UPS is very expensive - compared to other pure sine Backup UPS devices...

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
curtisinoc,

On the max price (with lots of plugged in devices), I'd recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331150651&sr=1-13

On the low price (with few plugged in devices), I'd recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1000PFCLCD-1000VA-600W-Compatible/dp/B00429N192/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Notes:
A - 850VA to 1000VA is enough power (support time) for iMac system to run 5+ minutes, then perform an automatic shutdown (via its USB connected cable) - when its power level becomes too low.
B - iMacs like Pure Sine Wave power. Step approximation makes sensitive electronics hum (sometimes sounding like little clicks). For iMacs, always pick "Pure Sine Wave" Backup UPS units.

If going with APC product, focus on their Smart-UPS line. APC Smart-UPS is very expensive - compared to other pure sine Backup UPS devices...

Hope this helps...

Thanks very much for the links and this informative post!

Question: When I connect this UPS to the iMac (USB), will the iMac (OS Lion) show the UPS under energy saver preferences - without any 3rd party software - to adjust automatic shutdown settings in case of power outage?

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
APC BE750G Back-UPS ES 10-Outlet 750VA ($100.00 US)

OR

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS 1000VA 600W PFC Compatible Pure Sine Wave ($135.00)

I've decided between either of these. The difference in price (about $35) does not matter to me. Most people seem to prefer APC, but the CyberPower has better specs. Which one should I get?

again: for use with my 2011 27" iMac and external HD connected to backup battery and surge

Other stuff (printers etc . . ) will be connected to surge only outlets

Thanks again everyone

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Yes curtisinoc.

For Mac OSX SL: Simply connect the Backup UPS "USB" cable from the UPS to the iMac USB Port. Within iMac System Preferences, select Hardware, select Energy Saver panel, Select UPS sheet. Because the UPS "USB" cable is plugged in, one can now select the UPS configuration sheet. I hear the UPS configuration for Mac OSx Lion is very similar. Always use Mac OSx included UPS panels for Backup UPS configuration settings.

To reduce power supply stress (during power outage), always get "pure sine wave" Backup UPS...

Hope this helps as well…

----------

Does above device come with "usb" control cable?

I'd only get a UPS unit that has USB control cable. Thus, it can perform an auto shut down - when I'm away from my iMac desk.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
Yes curtisinoc.

For Mac OSX SL: Simply connect the Backup UPS "USB" cable from the UPS to the iMac USB Port. Within iMac System Preferences, select Hardware, select Energy Saver panel, Select UPS sheet. Because the UPS "USB" cable is plugged in, one can now select the UPS configuration sheet. I hear the UPS configuration for Mac OSx Lion is very similar. Always use Mac OSx included UPS panels for Backup UPS configuration settings.

To reduce power supply stress (during power outage), always get "pure sine wave" Backup UPS...

Hope this helps as well…

----------

Does above device come with "usb" control cable?

I'd only get a UPS unit that has USB control cable. Thus, it can perform an auto shut down - when I'm away from my iMac desk.

Thanks again Spike . . so you recommend the CyberPower?

I'm not sure if the APC comes with a usb control cable (I'm guessing it does). Does the CyberPower include one?

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Surf the Amazon.com URLs (see above posts).

re: http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331150651&sr=1-13

Below the Backup UPS picture is lots of little pictures, Click on those little pictures.

re: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81J0KwV4s8L._AA1500_.jpg
Top right corner shows USB port - for control cable.

Another method to verify is to obtain the exact UPS model you might want to buy. Use Google search to find many hits of that product. Search the supplier. re: For APC product, surf: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13 Search their site for product's manual. Online manual contains validation details - such as "wave type" and if that item comes with a USB control port.

Hope this helps as well…

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Found the below on a different forum…

re: He too explains why "pure sine" is good for iMacs. And, sizing does matter as well…

Hope this helps as well…

-----

JoeJoe2009
Re: UPS/ Backup power information question
Jul 23, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to Stadler3D)

Hi Stadler3D,

The question you ask is very common, lots of people run into the same problem. Lucky for you that you're doing your research before buying and then having to return the UPS.

To address the issue of simulated vs. sinewave, you are better off going with a true sine wave unit. Some of the older Macs had non active PFC power supplies which worked well with the modified/square wave UPSs. However the newer Mac's have active PFC power supplies and need to have a UPS that outputs a sine wave. Otherwise when your standby UPS goes to batteries your Mac will restart, make humming noise and potentially damage the PSU.

The sine wave UPSs are usually much better models which offer better power filtering, surge protection and AVR Boost/Drop which is well worth it to protect your investment.

One common mistake people make is they buy the Back-UPS RS 1500. While it's a nice entry level UPS and can protect most PC's and lower end computers very well it doesn't function well with Mac power supplies because of the modified sine wave output. In the same series are the: Back-UPS SC, Back-UPS CS and other lower end APC series of UPSs.

The IMac 27" consumes 365W of power, you'd probably want to back up your cable/dsl modem (40W), router(40W), and maybe a voip phone or a light(50W). Your total load would be 495W. With that in mind, you have several options.

The entry level option would be to go with a unit like the APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD. This unit has a maximum capacity of 670W, surge protection, power filtering, AVR/Boost and drop, and outputs a sine wave. This UPS would provide you with 10 minutes of run time at 495W. if you're looking for a cost effective high vlaue alternative, an option would be going for a refurbished Smart-UPS 1000. Same run time, less money.

If you need more than 10 minutes of run time or if you have more than 495W, you could always go with a bigger unit, the APC Smart-UPS 1500VA LCD. This unit has a maximum of 980W, power filtering, surge protection, AVR boost/drop and outputs a sine wave. It's the bigger brother of the SMT1000. The SMT1500 would provide you a run time of 23 minutes at 495W. At higher load, the run time would go down obviously. A cost effective alternative would be a refurbished APC Smart-UPS 1500. It would provide you all of the features for a lower price point.

At the end of the day, you don't want to be sacrificing your hardware or data to power failures so you might as well get the unit that will do the job and do it well. There's no point of buying a unit that won't do the job. you'll risk your hardware, get frustrated and end up returning it. Do it right the first time around.

Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Confused?!!?

Has anyone told Apple that a stepped sinewave input is bad for their power supplies? Because they are selling them in the Apple store with no warnings to not use them on iMacs! :eek:

Last edited:

jenifer123

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
If you want to buy a new APC product, then you can buy it online from eBay or many other backup power suupliers sites. I would like to thanks to spike88 for sharing all the knowledge, I have learned a lot from him.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I wouldn't buy a used UPS. The batteries don't last forever, and the models change and you can have a UPS working fine, battery dies, and you find out you can no longer buy the battery so you have to buy a whole new UPS.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Buggers... I wonder if using this model has helped harm our older 24" iMac, as I don't believe its a pure sine model?

Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD 8-Outlet LCD UPS
http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1337478560&sr=1-1

Should get this instead, esp. when get the newest iMac [that can't come out soon enough!]:

CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Compatible 1500VA 900W Pure Sine Wave Tower UPS
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Compatible-1500VA-Tower/dp/B00429N19W/ref=pd_cp_e_0

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use the rackmounted version of this for my Mac Pro:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-SUA1500-1500VA-Servers-Networks/dp/B00006BBK8

I can do about 40 minutes on battery and then it safely shuts down my computer without any hiccups. Usually I have it set to shut down my machine immediately and wake it when power is back. It lets me power my router, modem, and network devices for a couple hours; this is so I can use my MacBook Pro as a backup and still have access to network services.

An excellent UPS and provides pure sine output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.