Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
DennisMadsen
macrumors regular

The new Apple TV and MKV files

Currently I'm using PS3 Media Server on my iMac to stream mkv-files (720p and 1080p) from a network HDD to my TV through a Playstation 3.

Could I use the new announced Apple TV with 1080p to play my mkv-files from the network HDD?
DennisMadsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Not until it gets jailbroken with a working build of XBMC/Plex etc. Apple only supports h264 and AAC/AC3 in MP4.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
DennisMadsen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
Not until it gets jailbroken with a working build of XBMC/Plex etc. Apple only supports h264 and AAC/AC3 in MP4.
How can I do this, when it is jailbroken?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:03 PM   #4
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMadsen View Post
Currently I'm using PS3 Media Server on my iMac to stream mkv-files (720p and 1080p) from a network HDD to my TV through a Playstation 3.

Could I use the new announced Apple TV with 1080p to play my mkv-files from the network HDD?
APple tv won;t support MKVs you need to wait to be jailbroken
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturola View Post
APple tv won;t support MKVs you need to wait to be jailbroken
Easiest way is to install Plex media server on your system and buy the plex app on the iOS and than stream from your iphone/ipad/itouch the plex client to the apple TV.

Sound confusing and uses two devices to get the job done but it's seamless and smooth
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
vivarey
macrumors member

Check out the ATVFlash software at Firecore.com - easy to install, works great.
vivarey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:01 AM   #7
DennisMadsen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post
Easiest way is to install Plex media server on your system and buy the plex app on the iOS and than stream from your iphone/ipad/itouch the plex client to the apple TV.

Sound confusing and uses two devices to get the job done but it's seamless and smooth
Would that allow me to stream 720p and 1080p to my TV?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:43 AM   #8
mikepro
macrumors 6502

Quote:

And has no surround sound if you do it this way.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMadsen View Post
Would that allow me to stream 720p and 1080p to my TV?
Yes and for the surround sound Im not 100% I think I get it.. If not it's not a big deal to me as a casual user.
Firecore does however support it with 5.1 problem for me is I just bought 2 new 1080p Apple Tv's so jailbreaking it might not be available for some time.

Last edited by Dorfdad; Mar 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Dorfdad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:53 AM   #10
ciberpuppi
macrumors newbie

Dorfdad,

I've used the first-generation ATVs for years, but like you, I've been unable to stream mkvs. Before buying the new ATV, I've asked around (actually, on these boards) and it seems there's a way to "convert" the mkvs to m4vs easily and then stream them on the new ATV.

There is a free program called Subler. Once downloaded, you can drag the mkv into and it will convert it to an H264 format as an m4v. From there, you can MetaX and drag it into iTunes as usual and then stream it from the new ATV.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to do this in theory, as I've yet to obtain the new ATV and as I've said, this wil NOT work in the first generation ones.

Why not make a COPY of one of your mkvs this way, drag it into iTunes and see if the new ATV will in fact, stream the new file? I suspect many of us are dying to see if this will work. If so, then there is no need to jailbreak anything.

C-Pup
ciberpuppi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
dotcomet
macrumors newbie

Yea, you can also use Handbrake to convert .mkv to .m4v. after that just drag to your iTunes library and stream to ATV.
dotcomet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #12
OmegaRed1723
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomet View Post
Yea, you can also use Handbrake to convert .mkv to .m4v. after that just drag to your iTunes library and stream to ATV.
As long as the original .mkv was encoded with the h.264 codec, it's much quicker to use Subler to remux than it is to use Hanbrake to re-encode. If you use Handbrake you will also be encoding a source file that has already been encoded once, thereby degrading quality. It's like photocopying a photocopy, not the original. Every time you do it, the output gets a little bit worse.
OmegaRed1723 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:44 AM   #13
dotcomet
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed1723 View Post
As long as the original .mkv was encoded with the h.264 codec, it's much quicker to use Subler to remux than it is to use Hanbrake to re-encode. If you use Handbrake you will also be encoding a source file that has already been encoded once, thereby degrading quality. It's like photocopying a photocopy, not the original. Every time you do it, the output gets a little bit worse.
Thanks for the info. I will try that.
dotcomet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:25 AM   #14
AppleHater
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I like the concept but it looks it transcode the movie. Is there a way to just play mkv and stream it to ios/ATV?
AppleHater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:12 AM   #15
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Why not just remux mkv to mp4? Or spend $1 on air video?
Sedulous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:39 AM   #16
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleHater View Post
I like the concept but it looks it transcode the movie. Is there a way to just play mkv and stream it to ios/ATV?
Without being jailbroken and using an alternate media player, no. Not possible.

Otherwise it can be done with software like Beamer or AirParrot. No conversion required and you can AirPlay it right out.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 07:05 PM   #17
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

There is no jailbreak right now for the Apple TV 3. When there is, you could install either Firecore's ATV Flash, or XBMC, or Plex - in order to access mkv's on your ext HDD. Or, you install all three. : )
Old May 1, 2012, 07:40 PM   #18
808?
macrumors 6502a

Perhaps try Beamer, no jailbreak required and plays .mkv

Drawback is you need a Mac running for this to work.
808? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:49 AM   #19
Mr.Bullitt
macrumors regular

Is anyone using the Apple TV with PS3 media server? I am a bit new to this, but seems like you can configure PS3 Media Server to output for different playback devices, even Xbox now and Oppo players :-D
Mr.Bullitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:09 AM   #20
JMEANS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed1723 View Post
YESS! I have been trying to do this as described above because I do not want to compromise the size or quality just change the container to play in ATV as well. However whenever I try to remix the MKV in SUBLER I get a RED STOP SIGN?! I have tried 3 MKV files that I have downloaded and no success in SUBLER. They look fantastic watching with VLC but really want a m4v copy for ATV. Why am I getting the stop sign ? Thanks
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:19 AM   #21
piAd
macrumors newbie

I'm using the program "iVI", it converts ( or remux ) MKV files to a apple tv compatible format and imports your converted file automatically into Itunes.

http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php
piAd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:50 AM   #22
JMEANS
macrumors regular

Thank you for the recommendation, I have heard of IVI and so far I have tried SUBLER = red stop sign, MP4Tools = long conversion process w/audio sync issues?! So it's getting frustrating to say the least... All I want to do here is take a great quality MKV sized anywhere between 3-6gigs remux container to work in iTunes. Almost at my wits end lol
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:33 AM   #23
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Thank you for the recommendation, I have heard of IVI and so far I have tried SUBLER = red stop sign, MP4Tools = long conversion process w/audio sync issues?! So it's getting frustrating to say the least... All I want to do here is take a great quality MKV sized anywhere between 3-6gigs remux container to work in iTunes. Almost at my wits end lol
Have you verified that your mkv contain the h.264 codec, using something like Media Inspector?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:50 AM   #24
JMEANS
macrumors regular

No and thanks for replying on both threads with my question and Sorry too!

but if they are h.264 would there be another reason? Just curious

Now if they aren't would iVI be a good alternative? I tried MP4Tools and it took forever and I noticed audio sync issues : (
Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions - JIM
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 AM   #25
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
No and thanks for replying on both threads with my question and Sorry too!

but if they are h.264 would there be another reason? Just curious

Now if they aren't would iVI be a good alternative? I tried MP4Tools and it took forever and I noticed audio sync issues : (
Thanks in advance for any additional suggestions - JIM
Also see http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...1&postcount=89
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater