Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several tech blogs have posted their hands-on impressions of the new iPad, announced earlier today.

Image courtesy Slashgear
Slashgear:
"It's Resolutionary" Apple says of the new iPad, and we have to agree. We've just grabbed some hands-on time with the new Retina Display iOS 5.1 tablet, and the difference from the iPad 2 - which, remember, stays on sale alongside it - is vast. The pixels in the 2048 x 1536 display are, at regular arm's length, completely indistinguishable: it's only when you get up close that you can make them out.
The Verge:
Physically, the device feels nearly the same in hand as the previous model. Though it does have a slight bump in thickness, the difference is nearly unnoticeable. Since the design hasn't dramatically changed, there's not much to note in the casing department, and though there are improved cameras present, the general seating and size of the sensors seems unchanged.

Image courtesy The Verge
Engadget:
There's no doubt that this here tablet feels every bit like a $500 product, oozing quality from edge to edge and being as delightful as ever to use. Is it the second coming of the tablet? Of course not, but if we've learned anything from the iPhone 4S, it doesn't need to be. Apple just put an insane amount of real estate in the hands of crafty developers, and frankly, we can't wait to see what they cook up.

Article Link: First Hands-On Impressions of 'The New iPad'

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Nice. Go iFixit and tear it apart to see the new GPU, the CPU, and ram and tell us whats inside.

Oh and take my money apple!

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
So the verdict on the name is "The new iPad?" We definitely can't just call it iPad, as we reference the original iPad all the time.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am excited about this. It is going to be my first iPad, not because I was waiting for it to be perfect, it is just that I now have a personal / business need for one.

The old one would have been just fine for my digital photography needs, however the newer more detailed screen should really help me in the show and tell department.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
I had promised myself I would resist buying the new iPad. Damnit!

Edit: Caved in, it's on preorder. Broke, but worth it. :D

Last edited:

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Naysayers will say this is not a major iPad refresh, but for me this will be my first iPad.

Look at how the iPhone 4 S sold-people where of the opinion that the iPhone 4 S would not sell because the 'spects' were unremarkable...

Last edited:

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Higher resolution display was what I was waiting for. Unfortunately my other main wish for a lighter pad was not fulfilled (iPad 3 is slightly heavier even). Still it's a buy now, PDF on this screen is worth looking at.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
So the verdict on the name is "The new iPad?" We definitely can't just call it iPad, as we reference the original iPad all the time.

It could be just iPad, just like iPod, or iMac, or MacBook Air.

It's the iPad (3rd Generation)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
What is it called?

iPad 3? No where on Apple's site does it mention it.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Such a gorgeous screen and an amazing update this year.
What's amazing to me is that you can blow through your entire monthly data plan in fifteen minutes. What happened to all those unlimited data plans that were going to allow Apple's iCloud to become a serious storage platform? In an era of ever increasing resolutions and ever shrinking data plans, why are we expected to settle for local storage that is less than a tenth of what the PC era gave us? Each of us has different expectations as to what makes a great tablet, but I don't recall reading post after post and thread after thread about how bad the resolution was or how slow the processor is. So why is Apple so busy fixing what isn't even broken and yet so hesitant to address (or even acknowledge) what people are actually upset about?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I felt the Tim Cook intro would lead to something just a TAD more revolutionary. He's absolutely right, but in the wrong year: it is a PC supplanting desktops. I was on the edge of my seat for him to say something, like...

...and so we made a dock to connect the iPad to a hard drive which can store a terabyte and provide expansion to the iPad when it becomes a desktop during sedentary times...

But, no. Figures. The moment Apple gets off its iAss and makes something like that, they shut down about every other desktop out there for 90% of the market, and conquer everything ever made.

Psychild

macrumors newbie
Apple Is Groovy!

Don't need the new iPad 3 .... but I want! Here I Go Again! Living on poverty level income makes it tuff to keep up to date with the latest greatist most groovy Apple products. Apple hardship program now needed. :eek:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
German Apple online Store says "iPad (3rd generation)"

I see. I guess they are doing what they do with the Macs and Apple TV - don't give it an iteration name.

We'd be on MacBook Pro 11 by now or something. Wouldn't surprise me if the next iPhone is just called "the new iPhone".

Not sure I completely agree with them refusing to name it iPad 3 though. Though I guess it'll be known as the iPad (early 2012) model..

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'm guessing years from now this will be the "early 2012 iPad." Just like how they refer to their computers.

EDIT: Kilamite beat me to it.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
So is the new iPad more tapered or what? Help to offset that added thickness.

resonator

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
El Cerrito, California
Front Facing Camera still VGA??

It appears they may not have updated the front camera - still listing as VGA for the 'Facetime' camera on the front. The back camera was updated to 5 megapixels but Apple appears to be very vague about the specs for the front facing camera. I find it hard to believe that they would leave it at under 1 megapixel. Anyone with more info on that?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
What's amazing to me is that you can blow through your entire monthly data plan in fifteen minutes. What happened to all those unlimited data plans that were going to allow Apple's iCloud to become a serious storage platform? In an era of ever increasing resolutions and ever shrinking data plans, why are we expected to settle for local storage that is less than a tenth of what the PC era gave us? Each of us has different expectations as to what makes a great tablet, but I don't recall reading post after post and thread after thread about how bad the resolution was or how slow the processor is. So why is Apple so busy fixing what isn't even broken and yet so hesitant to address (or even acknowledge) what people are actually upset about?

What do you want Apple to do? Buy ATT? I don't know how Apple can solve the problem although I'm sure their business would pick up if the problem was solved.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

And when you order the next iPad in 2013, and ask for a "new iPad", you'll get last year's model. Clever.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
It could be just iPad, just like iPod, or iMac, or MacBook Air.

It's the iPad (3rd Generation)

Ah, right. Can't believe I didn't think this.

So it'll still be called iPad 3 or perhaps 3iPad to maybe keep the consistency of generation syntax on this forum.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
It appears they may not have updated the front camera - still listing as VGA for the 'Facetime' camera on the front. The back camera was updated to 5 megapixels but Apple appears to be very vague about the specs for the front facing camera. I find it hard to believe that they would leave it at under 1 megapixel. Anyone with more info on that?

No changes were sought from what i gather. Hard to believe given the iPad is idle for FaceTime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.