Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Joshuauk
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Trackpad cracked

Ok so I have a macbook pro 2011 13 inch & I just dropped dropped my iPhone onto to the bottom of the trackpad and it cracked, BADLY. I have applecare although I understand that they don't cover accidental damage, I can't believe it shattered I only dropped it from about 3/4 inches and the iPhone was in a rubber case. Anyway this might be wishful thinking, but do you think it might be able to be replaced? & If not how much should I expect a repair to set me back?
Thanks
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 07-03-2012 at 20.37 #2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	328026  
Joshuauk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Joshuauk
macrumors newbie

Bump
Joshuauk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:54 PM   #3
shootist
macrumors regular

Yeah Apple can replace it. But not under any warranty. As you know accidental damage isn't covered. So take your credit card with you.
shootist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4
ixodes
macrumors 601

I'm guessing that perhaps the trackpad may have been slightly compromised from the beginning.

Dropping your phone on it should not crack the part. My wife is very hard on her MacBook Pro, constantly dropping things on it. It never ceases to amaze me just how well it holds up without as much as a scratch.

I would call Apple tech support and give them an opportunity to hear your case, and see what they might do for you. Often times they are very lenient if they think your case warrants it.

I've got other brands, and no one comes close to Apple's level of customer service.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:00 PM   #5
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

The portion of the trackpad that has cracked here is a weak spot in both MacBook and MacBook Pro trackpads.

Most of the trackpad is reinforced from behind by a metal frame. That particular spot however is where the trackpad button is. As such the reinforcing frame bends up and around the button, which does take away some of its rigidity. In day to day use this isn't a problem. When met with an external force such as an iPhone falling on it however, it does tend to flex and crack. I've attached an image for reference.

Would almost certainly be an Accidental Damage case, but have a chat to Apple. You never know, they've come to the rescue for quite a few people on multiple occasions.
iMacC2D is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro