Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Remove camera icon from lock screen 4S 5.1

I have no need for the camera icon to be there, and would like to remove it. But i cant find anything in settings.

So let me guess, apple have decided that we would like this better, and not given us an option to remove?

I know this is going to cause me problems....
aphexacid is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
cyks
macrumors 68020

How would it cause problems? It's not a button, but requires a sliding motion to activate so you can't hit it accidentally.
cyks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:01 PM   #3
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

Yeah i just realized this. But i still don't like it there. No option in settings anywhere?
aphexacid is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:14 PM   #4
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
Relax!
sulpfiction is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Umm it was listed as part of the update why did you update if you didn't want it?
Arnezie is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Antidoll
macrumors regular

um ... the camera icon was always there... you just had to click on it to open it up, now its a sliding motion... I like the new one better..
Antidoll is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I have no need for the camera icon to be there, and would like to remove it. But i cant find anything in settings.

So let me guess, apple have decided that we would like this better, and not given us an option to remove?

Why is it going to cause you problems? I'm definitely gonna love as i'm not going to have to double tap to bring it up anymore.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:47 PM   #8
ap3604
Banned

Quote:
Yeah i just realized this. But i still don't like it there. No option in settings anywhere?
I'm OCD as well OP... it's tough to deal with sometimes I know
ap3604 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Certinfy
macrumors 6502a

Can someone show me a pic of what it now looks like?
Certinfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:55 PM   #10
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certinfy View Post
Can someone show me a pic of what it now looks like?

Me sliding it up.....halfway

Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #11
jplusc
macrumors 6502

for what its worth, if you disable the camera app under restrictions the quick launch on the lock screen will go away. Of course you would then need a 3rd party camera/video app.
jplusc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Certinfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post

Me sliding it up.....halfway

Thanks. Guess I won't update then, I much prefer the way it currently is.
Certinfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:40 PM   #13
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a

I originally assumed it needed to be pressed. Sliding it up is better, but this is something that should be able to be disabled in preferences.
And it's not something that would keep me from updating. It's just annoying.
aphexacid is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:43 PM   #14
ap3604
Banned

Quote:
... but this is something that should be able to be disabled in preferences.... It's just annoying.
Welcome to Apples "we tell you what you need and your going to like it dammit!" way of doing business
ap3604 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:45 PM   #15
I3eck
macrumors newbie

Talking Camera📷📱

The icon can be very useful but can also be bothering. I think apple did a good job with making this cool feature, but it seems odd that apple didn't let you have the option to take it away. It is useful for those who need to take a quick picture, but it takes the original lock screen look away.
I3eck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:39 PM   #16
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
Welcome to Apples "we tell you what you need and your going to like it dammit!" way of doing business
To play devil's advocate, I remember a lot of folks giving feedback that it was difficult (time consuming) to get to the camera on a locked phone. But it is obvious they are listening (volume up shutter button, I'm looking at you).
PNutts is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #17
liquidlink
macrumors member

Has anyone figured out a way to turn the camera feature off on the lock screen. You have access to the camera when the phone is locked and you also have access to the photos taken by the camera and the ability to delete photos all when the phone is locked.

Nice job Apple, another screw up and lack of security. Someone please figure out a way to remove this.

Last edited by liquidlink; Mar 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
liquidlink is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Laidbackal
macrumors regular

Some people are crazyy.
Laidbackal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:11 AM   #19
floling
macrumors member

as a matter of fact it doesn't bother me that much, just because you don't have to or can't click on it.
nevertheless it shortens the slider to unlock. and no one likes to be shortend ;-)
well well .. we'll get used to it..
the only "problem" might be .. friends who fill up your iphone with silly pictures while hanging out at a bar i.e. ;-)
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:01 AM   #20
CmdrThor
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidlink View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to turn the camera feature off on the lock screen. You have access to the camera when the phone is locked and you also have access to the photos taken by the camera and the ability to delete photos all when the phone is locked.

Nice job Apple, another screw up and lack of security. Someone please figure out a way to remove this.
If your phone is locked with a passcode, you only have access to the pictures you took while the phone is locked, you can't see or delete any other photos until you unlock and enter the passcode. If you have a delay on your passcode and that delay hasn't been hit yet, then you have access to all of the pictures, same as if you just unlocked the phone and was not prompted for a passcode.
CmdrThor is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
paranoidprgrmr
macrumors newbie

There might be more than this

Quote:
Originally Posted by floling View Post
as a matter of fact it doesn't bother me that much, just because you don't have to or can't click on it.
nevertheless it shortens the slider to unlock. and no one likes to be shortend ;-)
well well .. we'll get used to it..
the only "problem" might be .. friends who fill up your iphone with silly pictures while hanging out at a bar i.e. ;-)
Even as an iOS developer, I didn't know I could access the camera from the lock screen until this update. I'm glad this came to light, because I rarely use my camera, in the 4+ years I've used an iPhone, I've only used the camera on 10 or 15 occasions.
Anyway, your friends filling it up with "silly" pictures would actually be the last thing you'd have to worry about. If you had someone who wanted to maliciously attack you, for whatever reason and they got ahold of your phone, they could put personally damaging (or even potentially illegal) photos on your phone without your consent. And with Photo Stream and iCloud, they could propagate those photos on a bunch of your devices, then leak information to bosses, the authorities, news media, whomever, that you have these pictures on your devices.
That could lead to public embarrassment, loss of credibility, potential job loss, and in extreme conditions, even jail time.
Granted, it's probably a long shot that this would actually happen, but I think the chances of it happening are high enough that there should be an option to turn this off without completely disabling the camera.
paranoidprgrmr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:25 PM   #22
aztooh
macrumors 6502a

I love how this guy gets down voted because he would like an option instead of something being forced on him.

We go from no shortcut, to the double click and then press and now we have this goofy slide up action. At least with the double click, the user had an option to make the camera shortcut appear although it was annoying to get to it.

But this slide up is just plain stupid. Would be better if it was just the 'button' as it was when the double press was required to make it appear. And since it's just always there now, there definitely should be an option to have it or not.

We all know Apple is anti-user control though. Some love it, some hate it and some tolerate....for now.
aztooh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Marcus PM
macrumors member

Pictures in a "Flash"

I love the quicker access to taking pictures on-the-fly. It's the camera I always have with me that is now even faster to use.
Marcus PM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:35 PM   #24
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidbackal View Post
Some people are crazyy.
Agreed. It's hard to decide which ones sometimes though.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:48 PM   #25
ToddH
macrumors 6502

Look at it this way pal, at least you don't have to slide your thumb nearly as far to activate your phone. That in itself will be a benefit to all. So why don't you dwell on that instead of the camera icon and I think you will be a little bit happier.
ToddH is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone