Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I have no need for the camera icon to be there, and would like to remove it. But i cant find anything in settings.

So let me guess, apple have decided that we would like this better, and not given us an option to remove?

I know this is going to cause me problems....

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Yeah i just realized this. But i still don't like it there. No option in settings anywhere?

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Umm it was listed as part of the update why did you update if you didn't want it? :confused:

Antidoll

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
um ... the camera icon was always there... you just had to click on it to open it up, now its a sliding motion... I like the new one better..

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I have no need for the camera icon to be there, and would like to remove it. But i cant find anything in settings.

So let me guess, apple have decided that we would like this better, and not given us an option to remove?

I know this is going to cause me problems....

Why is it going to cause you problems? I'm definitely gonna love as i'm not going to have to double tap to bring it up anymore.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can someone show me a pic of what it now looks like?

6c0f4760-e762-a21c.jpg

Me sliding it up.....halfway

6c0f4760-e77c-803d.jpg

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
for what its worth, if you disable the camera app under restrictions the quick launch on the lock screen will go away. Of course you would then need a 3rd party camera/video app.

Reactions: poptropica

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I originally assumed it needed to be pressed. Sliding it up is better, but this is something that should be able to be disabled in preferences.
And it's not something that would keep me from updating. It's just annoying.

I3eck

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Camera##

:apple: The icon can be very useful but can also be bothering. I think apple did a good job with making this cool feature, but it seems odd that apple didn't let you have the option to take it away. It is useful for those who need to take a quick picture, but it takes the original lock screen look away.:apple:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Welcome to Apples "we tell you what you need and your going to like it dammit!" way of doing business ;)

To play devil's advocate, I remember a lot of folks giving feedback that it was difficult (time consuming) to get to the camera on a locked phone. :p But it is obvious they are listening (volume up shutter button, I'm looking at you).

liquidlink

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Has anyone figured out a way to turn the camera feature off on the lock screen. You have access to the camera when the phone is locked and you also have access to the photos taken by the camera and the ability to delete photos all when the phone is locked.

Nice job Apple, another screw up and lack of security. Someone please figure out a way to remove this.

Last edited:

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
as a matter of fact it doesn't bother me that much, just because you don't have to or can't click on it.
nevertheless it shortens the slider to unlock. and no one likes to be shortend ;-)
well well .. we'll get used to it..
the only "problem" might be .. friends who fill up your iphone with silly pictures while hanging out at a bar i.e. ;-)

CmdrThor

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone figured out a way to turn the camera feature off on the lock screen. You have access to the camera when the phone is locked and you also have access to the photos taken by the camera and the ability to delete photos all when the phone is locked.

Nice job Apple, another screw up and lack of security. Someone please figure out a way to remove this.

If your phone is locked with a passcode, you only have access to the pictures you took while the phone is locked, you can't see or delete any other photos until you unlock and enter the passcode. If you have a delay on your passcode and that delay hasn't been hit yet, then you have access to all of the pictures, same as if you just unlocked the phone and was not prompted for a passcode.

paranoidprgrmr

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
There might be more than this

as a matter of fact it doesn't bother me that much, just because you don't have to or can't click on it.
nevertheless it shortens the slider to unlock. and no one likes to be shortend ;-)
well well .. we'll get used to it..
the only "problem" might be .. friends who fill up your iphone with silly pictures while hanging out at a bar i.e. ;-)

Even as an iOS developer, I didn't know I could access the camera from the lock screen until this update. I'm glad this came to light, because I rarely use my camera, in the 4+ years I've used an iPhone, I've only used the camera on 10 or 15 occasions.
Anyway, your friends filling it up with "silly" pictures would actually be the last thing you'd have to worry about. If you had someone who wanted to maliciously attack you, for whatever reason and they got ahold of your phone, they could put personally damaging (or even potentially illegal) photos on your phone without your consent. And with Photo Stream and iCloud, they could propagate those photos on a bunch of your devices, then leak information to bosses, the authorities, news media, whomever, that you have these pictures on your devices.
That could lead to public embarrassment, loss of credibility, potential job loss, and in extreme conditions, even jail time.
Granted, it's probably a long shot that this would actually happen, but I think the chances of it happening are high enough that there should be an option to turn this off without completely disabling the camera.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I love how this guy gets down voted because he would like an option instead of something being forced on him.

We go from no shortcut, to the double click and then press and now we have this goofy slide up action. At least with the double click, the user had an option to make the camera shortcut appear although it was annoying to get to it.

But this slide up is just plain stupid. Would be better if it was just the 'button' as it was when the double press was required to make it appear. And since it's just always there now, there definitely should be an option to have it or not.

We all know Apple is anti-user control though. Some love it, some hate it and some tolerate....for now.

Marcus PM

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Pictures in a "Flash"

I love the quicker access to taking pictures on-the-fly. It's the camera I always have with me that is now even faster to use.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Look at it this way pal, at least you don't have to slide your thumb nearly as far to activate your phone. That in itself will be a benefit to all. So why don't you dwell on that instead of the camera icon and I think you will be a little bit happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.