Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:24 PM   #251
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Mean?! I hope you realize how ridiculous that sounds. We're talking about human rights here.
Pachyderms are notorious knuckle-trunk-draggers.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:10 PM   #252
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Guys lets stay on task, this is an nfl football thread id prefer this thread not get moved to prsi wasteland. There is already a thread there about tebow feel free to discuss him there at length
Old May 1, 2012, 06:06 AM   #253
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
Guys lets stay on task, this is an nfl football thread id prefer this thread not get moved to prsi wasteland. There is already a thread there about tebow feel free to discuss him there at length
agreed.
Old May 2, 2012, 01:51 PM   #254
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

2 Huge stories in the NFL today...

Vilma banned for the season & 3 others suspended

And the sad news,

Seau dead in apparent suicide
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:00 PM   #255
dmr727
macrumors G3

^^^ oh wow - that sucks about Seau.
dmr727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:12 PM   #256
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Horrible, just unbelievably horrible. RIP Junior Seau. One of the nicest guys ever, he stayed and chatted with my nephew while signing a Patriots jersey. Spent way longer than he had to, completely genuine.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:12 PM   #257
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr727 View Post
^^^ oh wow - that sucks about Seau.
You have to wonder if all these blows to the head playing football played a role in this.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:34 PM   #258
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
You have to wonder if all these blows to the head playing football played a role in this.
I'm sure it's just coincidence, but this is the weirdest thing..

From the ESPN article:

Quote:
Seau is the eighth member of the 1994 Chargers, who reached the Super Bowl and lost to to the San Francisco 49ers, to die at a young age. He was predeceased by Chris Mims, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Lewis Bush, Curtis Whitley, Shawn Lee and Doug Miller.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #259
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Terrible news about Seau. It's very sad to see someone with so much and beloved by so many take their own life.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:35 PM   #260
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
2 Huge stories in the NFL today...

Vilma banned for the season & 3 others suspended

And the sad news,

Seau dead in apparent suicide
Oh wow...... That is sad. RIP..........
Old May 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #261
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
I think it is becoming more apparent, with possible links to diseases such as ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

And vague statements like this do not help disseminate that information.

Quote:
Researchers from that school later determined Duerson suffered from a neurodegenerative disease linked to concussions, and that played a role in triggering his depression.
Old May 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #262
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Rip 55
Old May 2, 2012, 06:46 PM   #263
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
Rip 55
RIP.

Wonder got him so down that he took his own life?
Old May 3, 2012, 09:55 AM   #264
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

More bad news in the NFL - at least for the Ravens.

Terrell Suggs tears achiles

Looks like he's going to have surgery and is expected to miss the entire season. Ouch.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:32 AM   #265
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

The NFL is about to undergo a big hurt over concussions. Saw Harry Carson on MSNBC earlier talking about it. There are currently 1,500 lawsuits filed against the NFL over concussion related issues.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:08 AM   #266
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
The NFL is about to undergo a big hurt over concussions. Saw Harry Carson on MSNBC earlier talking about it. There are currently 1,500 lawsuits filed against the NFL over concussion related issues.
I've heard about this, but my question is what is the solution? Football is a violent game and players know that going into it. Athletes take the risk in order to make the amount of money a professional football player makes. I'm sure they will put more policies and prevention in place like routine neuro scans, more physician oversite, better retirement benefits, etc.. But, short of turning that game into flag or two hand touch, what is the answer to the problem? If the game becomes too "safe" then it will lose it's appeal for the audience.
Old May 3, 2012, 02:14 PM   #267
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

I think, unfortunately, we won't be able to judge the success or failure of the recent measures taken by the NFL to protect players until the players that began their careers recently retire. Otherwise, it's hard to say definitively that the things being highlighted and worked on - medically and otherwise - are not working.

It's also the culture of the game and the players that play it. I highly doubt nowadays you'll see a coach forcing a player seeing birdies to go into a game. But you will see players trying to hard concussion symptoms or not disclosing something that might make them have to take a concussion test. It's self-inflicted harm very often.

I don't see an obvious solution outside of making the NFL more flag football-ish.

Old May 3, 2012, 02:48 PM   #268
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Maybe take away the helmet and replace it with leather ones?
Old May 3, 2012, 03:17 PM   #269
steviem
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Maybe take away the helmet and replace it with leather ones?
I don't think that would work with how tackling is. They would have to put in rules about how to tackle and when you are allowed to tackle. It would turn Football into Rugby with forward passing and possibly less blocking.

Since professionalism, Rugby has seen players get taller, stronger, heavier and faster. It's also seen padded under shirts, which don't really help against impacts but I've seen old team mates think they're invincible when wearing them, or even scrum caps, which do nothing against concussions - I know after a hard hit on me once (where strangely enough, I said nothing about it and my old coach didn't notice, but that's what happens in these sports, bravado and the sense that you have to work through pain for the good of the team is a powerful and not always good thing.
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #270
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviem View Post
I don't think that would work with how tackling is. They would have to put in rules about how to tackle and when you are allowed to tackle. It would turn Football into Rugby with forward passing and possibly less blocking.

Since professionalism, Rugby has seen players get taller, stronger, heavier and faster. It's also seen padded under shirts, which don't really help against impacts but I've seen old team mates think they're invincible when wearing them, or even scrum caps, which do nothing against concussions - I know after a hard hit on me once (where strangely enough, I said nothing about it and my old coach didn't notice, but that's what happens in these sports, bravado and the sense that you have to work through pain for the good of the team is a powerful and not always good thing.
Hmm... Going back to the old style padding etc. That would take care of how they would hit each other lol......
Old May 3, 2012, 06:36 PM   #271
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Hmm... Going back to the old style padding etc. That would take care of how they would hit each other lol......
A joke perhaps, but it might actually be the answer.

More padding creates heavier "missiles" hitting you.

Bring back felt padding.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:54 AM   #272
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
A joke perhaps, but it might actually be the answer.

More padding creates heavier "missiles" hitting you.

Bring back felt padding.
No joke..... I just don't think they will ever go back to that. Ever.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:17 AM   #273
steviem
macrumors 68020

They'd have to:

-Take away hitting people without the ball
-Have a 'tackle zone' from shoulders to bottom of thighs
-All padding must be a soft foam. Hard helmets and shoulder pads would be taken away.

These rule changes would turn it into Rugby League with a forward pass. There would be less players really putting their bodies on the line because they don't have the false sense of immortality that the pads and helmet gives them. Imagine if Eric LeGrand didn't feel that a couple of years ago in the game against Army, he could have been training with the Bucs now instead of battling just to be able to walk again.

Ultimately, I think it's not that equipment needs to change, but the mindset, they're trying to do it with the Penalties and fines that serial head chargers get (Janes Harrison jumps out at me there, but with his strength, he is perfectly capable of tackling properly), hopefully kids playing Pop Warner are being taught to tackle properly and wholeheartedly, but are being told that without proper technique, they are looking at hurting themselves regardless of how heavy or how much padding they wear.
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:56 PM   #274
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Thread resurrection since we're getting close to Week 1.

Anyone see last night's Hard Knocks? Pretty fascinating stuff in general, the Chad Johnson stuff was brutal.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:00 PM   #275
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Thread resurrection since we're getting close to Week 1.

Anyone see last night's Hard Knocks? Pretty fascinating stuff in general, the Chad Johnson stuff was brutal.
watched both shows so far...love it.

on a side note, read the whole thread approx where seau killed himself. did you guys know he was a wife/woman beater? in two separate lawsuits from women that he abused?

im so tired of all the RIP/sadness for him, he ruined women's lives. good riddance.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion