Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
pdawg
macrumors regular

White bezel vs black bezel

Ok I have to ask: is it really that distracting to have the white bezel for videos and such?

Never even considered this when ordering.

I ordered the white one to change it up, but now I'm having my doubts about the color.

Seems a silly thing to worry about, but I'm very attached to my current iPad 1 and would want a similar/better experience with the newest iPad.
pdawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2
icydog
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Ok I have to ask: is it really that distracting to have the white bezel for videos and such?

I ordered the white one to change it up, but now I'm having my doubts about the color.

Seems a silly thing to worry about, but I'm very attached to my current iPad 1 and would want a similar/better experience with the newest iPad.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1335791
icydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:04 PM   #3
JacaByte
macrumors 6502

I've handled iPads with white and black bezels, and I'm going with a black bezel myself for my iPad 3 because of how much less noticeable the edges of the screen are on an iPad with a black bezel, plus dark borders on images and movies and such will "blend" into the bezel much better.

But a white bezel can look just as good as a black one, in the end it's up to personal preference.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
JonMPLS
macrumors 6502a

I had always had black but secretly liked everyone else's white . . . Then I bought a white iPod touch for my car's system, and really liked the look.

So, I have a white iPad on the way for March 16th!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:26 PM   #5
rgarjr
macrumors 603

there's a lot of threads about black or white. It all comes down to what u like.
rgarjr is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:35 PM   #6
tekchic
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to tekchic
I had the black original iPad and bought the white iPad 2 last year. I LOVE the white. I like how fingerprints don't show up on the bezel, and since the majority of my iPad usage is reading, writing, and surfing, I like the look of it better than the black one.

It just comes down to personal preference.

Looking forward to this year's iPhone so I can get it in white to match now. I skipped the 4s
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Just buy both, so you can switch up based on how you feel that day. :-p

I personally like black though, there's a reason why most tv bezels are black, it's because it's less distracting. It "disappears" in use. I'm sure you can get to used to white though.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8
jjp007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacaByte View Post
I've handled iPads with white and black bezels, and I'm going with a black bezel myself for my iPad 3 because of how much less noticeable the edges of the screen are on an iPad with a black bezel, plus dark borders on images and movies and such will "blend" into the bezel much better.

But a white bezel can look just as good as a black one, in the end it's up to personal preference.

Pretty much my decision. I have the white iPad2 but this time I bought the black due to the fact I watch video and think it blends better. It won't match my phone anymore but oh well.
jjp007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:11 AM   #9
BergerFan
macrumors 68010

In my opinion, if you have any doubts about the white, don't get it.
It's gotta be an instant 'yes!', or you might have buyer's remorse forever.

White all the way for me(iPhone and iPad).
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:17 AM   #10
crghwkns
macrumors member

When in doubt get a white iPad and a black folio case.
crghwkns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:31 AM   #11
Fliesen
macrumors 6502a

dust and fingerprints are invisible on the white bezel, that's practical.
white is pretty, too
Fliesen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:41 AM   #12
LiloThePleo
macrumors 6502

I don't find the white bezel at all distracting. That said I ordered black this time round so it looks nice next to my iMac :P
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:44 AM   #13
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

I have only had black ones before, so this one I have gone for white, use to mix it up. I don't watch film on mine, just tv sometimes, so not fussed,
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:02 AM   #14
NATO
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post

I am upgrading from the iPad 1 and was having the same thoughts as well. I originally ordered the white one (without even thinking about it as I thought white was a no-brainer) but I went into the Apple store this morning to have a look at both side-by-side and as much as it pains me (I love white Apple gear) I've cancelled the order and ordered the Black.

To me, the black surround seems to fade into the background of your vision when actually focussing on the screen, whereas you are always aware of the surround with the white one. I tried a few different things (iBooks, Videos) and it just seemed better with the black surround for whatever reason.

Of course it's personal preference as others have said, but having seen and used both my preference is for black. I love my white iPhone 4 but I just think the iPad suits black in terms of how it feels to actually use.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:07 AM   #15
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

I ordered a white iPad within minutes of the store opening.

Thought about it....thought about it....

I cancelled two hours later and bought the black.

This article changed my mind.

Basically, I don't want to be distracted by a white bezel when watching movies.

I was very surprised to read how many fellow movie lovers felt the same way.
NJRonbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:10 AM   #16
monkeylui
macrumors 6502

I bought the white because I've been wanting a white I device.
monkeylui is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:41 AM   #17
snow blind
macrumors regular

Had a white iPad 2 and ordered a black one this time. The white was great for iBooks and web surfing; however, it was distracting for games and looks horrible when off IMO. Plus it was harder to sell my white iPad 2... black for resale also.
snow blind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:26 AM   #18
ScubaCinci
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
I ordered a white iPad within minutes of the store opening.

Thought about it....thought about it....

I cancelled two hours later and bought the black.

This article changed my mind.

Basically, I don't want to be distracted by a white bezel when watching movies.

I was very surprised to read how many fellow movie lovers felt the same way.
I don't find the white bezel distracting at all. Some people are more anal than others I guess so I can see where it might bother a few. The great thing about the white is that you can't see fingerprints on it.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:54 AM   #19
glxyjones
macrumors regular

So torn right now. I have a black 1st gen right now and I intended to go with a white one this time around but this thread (and others) have me reconsidering.

I predominately use mine for web, movies, and work and each of those tasks seem to be better suited for the black ipad. However, whenever I see a white one either in store or my friends I love the way it looks. I'm thinking I should go with what I know and stick with black.
glxyjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:23 AM   #20
pdawg
macrumors regular

Want to thank everyone on this thread (and other similar ones) for all your feedback! As much as I like the white iPad I just could not get over the real possibility of not loving it as I do the black iPad 1.

So this morning I pre-ordered the same one in black and cancelled the white one. Same delivery date of March 16!

I also realized that whenever I've had a chance to order white or black (iPhone, iPod), I have always immediately gravitated toward the black one. So I think this is one user who will stay with black

Thanks again!
pdawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:30 AM   #21
Xanthos
macrumors member

I've always loved the white iPad. I owned the iPad 1 but not 2.

So when the Apple Store opened after the media event, I went straight for the white one.

12 hours and a good sleep later, I called Apple to change my order to black.

I did some research and compared pictures. And after changing my order, I went to the nearest mall to check out both colours and I'm glad I made the switch.

I figured, I love the white one because it's aesthetically beautiful. But I'll probably get sick of it in a month. Practically, the black one is the way to go. As many articles on tech blogs stated, there's a reason why televisions have black frames.

I'll probably envy those with the white iPad whenever I see them on the street, but I rather be envious than having buyer's remorse.

Anyway, during my research, these are the 2 pictures that sealed the deal for me.

Last edited by Xanthos; Mar 8, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Xanthos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Manilae
macrumors newbie

Thx Xanthos, i asked them to change it from white to black after i saw your picture :-)
Manilae is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:51 AM   #23
whtrbt7
macrumors 6502a

I'm definitely a black bezel person. Black is basically very good for your eyes since the contrast between screen content and the black bezel will pretty much allow you to have a seamless experience. I would recommend the white bezel for anyone that reads a LOT of books. White is less distracting if you're on white content on the iPad.
whtrbt7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:54 AM   #24
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

I've got a black iPad and black iPhone and my wife's got a white iPad and white iPhone.
There's no doubt in my mind that when looked at from a distance, the white devices look absolutely stunning. However, there's also no doubt in my mind that when using them, the black is far less distracting and that's the reason I'll continue to get black iPhones and iPads
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:58 AM   #25
mszpara
macrumors regular

I've had black iPhones ever since they started releasing white, and ordered a black iPad 3...

Although, as someone stated above, i DO like the look of white, but not when it's powered off.

When powered off there is too much contrast between the white bezel and black screen. The black iPad just looks like a sleek black slate.
mszpara is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad