Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Launch Meetups

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1
ee99ee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
iPad 3 Launch - New York City (5th Ave)

What time do you think the 5th Ave store will start selling the new iPad next week? What time do you think I should arrive to stand in line? Anyone else going?

Open to 5th Ave, or any other store in the area... but I guess only the 5th Ave store is 24/7 right?

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
I'm over in NYC next week (from the UK) and I'm going to attend my 2nd Apple release day queue fest!

My first one was for my iPhone 4 at the Regent St store in Central London.

I'd like to do the 5th Ave store for my iPad, but won't it be the busiest store in NYC?

See you there!
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:22 PM   #3
ee99ee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
I'm over in NYC next week (from the UK) and I'm going to attend my 2nd Apple release day queue fest!

My first one was for my iPhone 4 at the Regent St store in Central London.

I'd like to do the 5th Ave store for my iPad, but won't it be the busiest store in NYC?

See you there!
First of all, we in America call it lines... not queues.

hehehehehe


But yeah, 5th Ave will be the busiest. But it's 24/7, so I was thinking maybe they'll start at midnight or something?

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
First of all, we in America call it lines... not queues.

hehehehehe
Lines Schmines!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
But yeah, 5th Ave will be the busiest. But it's 24/7, so I was thinking maybe they'll start at midnight or something?

-Chris
Wow, I didn't realise the store was 24/7.

I guess that they will start selling at 00:01 on Friday morning, but I'm sure there's someone else here with more knowledge/experience than me!

If that is the case, presumably people will start queuing (forming lines!?) from early Thursday afternoon?

[Edit] - Who's getting the cor-fees in!?
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Ryan John
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
First of all, we in America call it lines... not queues.

hehehehehe


-Chris
Well as he's not American let him join the queue and you stand in the line, see if it makes a difference to who gets in first.

Personally I'm betting on the queue
Ryan John is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
I'll be staying in Midtown, so I wonder if it will be worth taking a cab down at some offensive time, like 3am?

Would I stand a better chance then?
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:34 AM   #7
ee99ee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I called the store this morning -- since they are open 24/7, I wanted to know what time they will start selling the iPad. Midnight? 8AM? Who knows. They told me to call on Thursday because they don't know/can't say as of yet.

So, I'll call Thursday and update here!

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
I called the store this morning -- since they are open 24/7, I wanted to know what time they will start selling the iPad. Midnight? 8AM? Who knows. They told me to call on Thursday because they don't know/can't say as of yet.

So, I'll call Thursday and update here!

-Chris
Good man, I owe you a coffee!
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm here (in NYC)!
Jetlag's getting the better of me, so I'm just grabbing a quick drink in the hotel bar and then it's off to beddie byes for me!
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #10
kidnice15
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jersey City,NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm here (in NYC)!
Jetlag's getting the better of me, so I'm just grabbing a quick drink in the hotel bar and then it's off to beddie byes for me!
Hope you are enjoying NYC . I live about 15 mins outside of the City and I was just there for day. Central Park was nice. You picked the perfect week to come to Manhattan. the weather is supposed to be perfect all week.
kidnice15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:57 AM   #11
Checo890
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm here (in NYC)!
Jetlag's getting the better of me, so I'm just grabbing a quick drink in the hotel bar and then it's off to beddie byes for me!
I live in NYC, ill probably be waiting for the release outside apple's store on the upper west side.
Checo890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
tsteakuk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

why dont you try the new grand central store, might be an interesting change of scene!
tsteakuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Checo890
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteakuk View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

why dont you try the new grand central store, might be an interesting change of scene!
The store on the Upper West Side is the most organized out of all of them, people tend to go to 5th avenue, so I'm considering that as a death trap. Plus the store on the Upper West Side is closer to my apartment.
Checo890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Decisions decisions!

Until Thursday, I'm working 60 seconds walk from the Apple store on 9th & W 16th.

After that I'm relocating to Midtown for some "me" time, before flying back to London on Sunday!!

Last edited by Azzin; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checo890
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteakuk View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

why dont you try the new grand central store, might be an interesting change of scene!
The store on the Upper West Side is the most organized out of all of them, people tend to go to 5th avenue, so I'm considering that as a death trap. Plus the store on the Upper West Side is closer to my apartment.
Good to know, thanks.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:00 AM   #16
ee99ee
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Oh we and our first world problems... whichever apple store shall I stakeout at for my new iPad? haha

Seriously though... I'm getting anxious. I should have pre-ordered.

-Chris
ee99ee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Checo890
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
Oh we and our first world problems... whichever apple store shall I stakeout at for my new iPad? haha

Seriously though... I'm getting anxious. I should have pre-ordered.

-Chris
Same here man, i've been looking at this website and its forums religiously.
Checo890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee99ee View Post
Oh we and our first world problems... whichever apple store shall I stakeout at for my new iPad? haha

Seriously though... I'm getting anxious. I should have pre-ordered.

-Chris
I've got a black, 32 gig wifi arriving at home on release day, but if I can get one here in NY while I'm here it will be a much better deal paying in $s...
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:13 PM   #19
tsteakuk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

you'll sell any extras im sure, its looking like world wide sales could hint 1 million on launch day! thats insane!
tsteakuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Come on all you Noo Yoikers-where are you!?

I know you're out there!
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Checo890
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Come on all you Noo Yoikers-where are you!?

I know you're out there!
LMAO, I'm camping out starting today !!!
Checo890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checo890 View Post
LMAO, I'm camping out starting today !!!
Excellent-how do you fancy a bit of "queue place holding"!?

Although having said that, I wasn't planning on starting to queue (sorry, line up!) until the early hours of Friday morning...
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Checo890
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Excellent-how do you fancy a bit of "queue place holding"!?

Although having said that, I wasn't planning on starting to queue (sorry, line up!) until the early hours of Friday morning...
I'm going to be honest with you, in NYC lining up a few hours before a release of an apple product wouldn't do you much good if you're trying to get a specific model. Although, Thursday night would be a better time to arrive, i just want to be first in line, that's why I'm going start today even though it isn't necessary =]. I wouldn't mind holding you a spot for some cash, just bring some type of chair (preferably a beach chair) and ill hold your spot.
Checo890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #24
Azzin
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checo890 View Post
I'm going to be honest with you, in NYC lining up a few hours before a release of an apple product wouldn't do you much good if you're trying to get a specific model. Although, Thursday night would be a better time to arrive, i just want to be first in line, that's why I'm going start today even though it isn't necessary =]. I wouldn't mind holding you a spot for some cash, just bring some type of chair (preferably a beach chair) and ill hold your spot.
What a top fella you are!

Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of chair to bring as I'm staying in a hotel while I'm here.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #25
Checo890
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
What a top fella you are!

Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of chair to bring as I'm staying in a hotel while I'm here.
No worries, just make sure you get in line Very early Friday.
Checo890 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Launch Meetups

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Increase in iPhone and iPad Thefts Accounts for Rise in New York City Crime Index MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 255 Sep 8, 2014 04:07 AM
NYC - 5th Ave Scene byeehaaw iPhone 3 Sep 25, 2013 11:03 PM
Stocks in NY 5th Ave? Faux Carnival iPhone 3 Nov 7, 2012 12:27 PM
NYC 5th Ave Store xolan99 iPhone Launch Meetups 4 Sep 21, 2012 06:49 PM
Anchorage, AK(5th Ave Mall) lostngone iPhone Launch Meetups 0 Sep 16, 2012 10:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps