Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Anyone have any ideas on how to get around the app store's requirement of 5.1 for iPhoto? Or will I just have to wait til 5.1 is jailbroken to give it a whirl?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can change your reported system version in the /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist then reboot. But it may require 5.1 API's that are not in 5.0.1 and it could crash your device when launched. If it does, just remove it. Don't other to change your system version back or your could have problems.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
there is a tweak in cydia called iphoto501fix from the sound of it its not perfect. You must download iphoto first then install the tweak. I havent really messed with it yet but it opened and loaded my library

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
there is a tweak in cydia called iphoto501fix from the sound of it its not perfect. You must download iphoto first then install the tweak. I havent really messed with it yet but it opened and loaded my library

How does that work when it won't let you download it due to the fact you're not on 5.1?

Sounds like you'd have to go through acquiring it another way.. Edit: Found tweak, nm

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You can change your reported system version in the /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist then reboot. But it may require 5.1 API's that are not in 5.0.1 and it could crash your device when launched. If it does, just remove it. Don't other to change your system version back or your could have problems.

Install with the the system version change, after install change it back and install cydia tweak

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
How does that work when it won't let you download it due to the fact you're not on 5.1?

Sounds like you'd have to go through acquiring it another way.. Edit: Found tweak, nm

I believe the apple configuration tool will allow you to push it to the iPad if you download on your computer.

This works for getting it on an iPad 1. As if you try to from the app store on the device it won't because it's not supported

phi7588

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
is the iPhoto worth the risk of having a restore? With the current tweak (which I haven't tried yet) does it works flawlessly?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
is the iPhoto worth the risk of having a restore? With the current tweak (which I haven't tried yet) does it works flawlessly?

Installed iPhoto and iphoto501fix. Seems to work fine. I tried out all the tools and effects with no crashes and expected results. The one problem is that it takes forever (several minutes) to update the library -- which it does any time an image is added to the library. I don't know if this is an issue with iPhoto in general, or just on 5.0.1.

One more thing: so far when I have deleted images from my photostream in iPhoto they have not actually been deleted from photo stream. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or what. Perhaps it relies on a system call that is not present in 5.0.1? If so, it seems to be the only feature that doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.