Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
Why? Mind to explain please?
Well there were previous iOS devices that were unlocked to be used on networks such as that. But that was with jailbreak.

There is currently no iOS 5.1 jailbreak for A5 devices (let alone A5X).

But it may happen later....

/bradllez

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why? Mind to explain please?

It won't work b/c Metro PCS's LTE uses the 1700 MHz band and the iPad only supports the 700 and 2100 Mhz bands -- probably not by accident. Additionally LTE in Europe is also not supported. So while it's not a locked device per say, it is, for all intents and purposes locked to ATT and VZW, respectively, as far as LTE goes.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It won't work b/c Metro PCS's LTE uses the 1700 MHz band and the iPad only supports the 700 and 2100 Mhz bands -- probably not by accident. Additionally LTE in Europe is also not supported. So while it's not a locked device per say, it is, for all intents and purposes locked to ATT and VZW, respectively, as far as LTE goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths

The only band in the US that has 1700 is the 1700/2100 AWS band (band 4, which I've seen called 1700 and 1700/2100 in the US, 2100 typically refers to the international band 1, which the US does not use, but in this case should mean AWS), which AT&T also uses for LTE in some areas. Unless MetroPCS is using the band in some non-standard way, the iPad should support it, in theory. We will have to see if anyone tries it.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Actually, I think it would. We know the AT&T iPad is unlocked and if MetroPCS is using LTE in band IV, which Rogers, Telus and Bell are using in Canada or else we wouldn't have LTE, it should work. Apple fails to mention 1700Mhz in the iPad spec sheet but I'm almost certain its there. We don't have 700Mhz in Canada therefore we use band IV (AWS, 1700MHz & 2100MHz) for LTE.

I'm certain someone will try it soon.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
It won't work unless you find a way to jailbreak and a way to flash the device.

Canadian iPads will only work on Canadian LTE networks. US iPads will only work on US LTE. But all are 3G Gsm enabled. The chipset may be there but there is still a limitation.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No, that isn't correct. Nothing about it is locked. If I go to New York and get an AT&T SIM for an iPad, I'll get 4G LTE service there despite my iPad being bought in Canada. Same goes with those living in Europe.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
No LTE on MetroPCS with New iPad.

wireless carriers the willies for some reason.
Will MetroPCS LTE phones work on other LTE networks, and vice versa? Not for now, but maybe in the future. MetroPCS is doing LTE on the 1700 MHz frequency, and nobody else is, so the MetroPCS phones only work on its frequency. Verizon phones won't work on Metro's frequency.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368984,00.asp

AT&T model: 4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz)3

Verizon model: 4G LTE (700 MHz)3

4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S. and on Bell, Rogers, and Telus networks in Canada. See your carrier for details.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
It won't work b/c Metro PCS's LTE uses the 1700 MHz band and the iPad only supports the 700 and 2100 Mhz bands -- probably not by accident.

The 2100MHz Apple confusingly refers to is Band IV (1700/2100MHz).

This allows the new iPad to connect to Telus, Bell and Rogers which also use 1700MHz AWS LTE, the same band that Metro PCS uses for LTE.

I am not sure anyone has tried trimming and using a MetroPCS LTE SIM in their AT&T iPad.
It certainly won't work in the Verizon version.

While the AT&T version technically should work on the LTE areas of their network, MetroPCS may only allow white-listed devices IMEI numbers onto their network to achieve their lower pricing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.