Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I made a mp4 video, loaded into iPhoto and the iPad will not load it in, why?

I was hoping it would show of in the Video app.

How do I do it? Mp4 should play correct?

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Ok I just figured out you have import into iTunes video.

I want to be able to take a new iPad and load a video and photos without registering it with Apple since I am going to give it to my wedding clients. Is it possible to do this? Can I do it with the USB connector like a camera input?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok I just figured out you have import into iTunes video.

I want to be able to take a new iPad and load a video and photos without registering it with Apple since I am going to give it to my wedding clients. Is it possible to do this? Can I do it with the USB connector like a camera input?

iPads don't really work that way. For your clients to use the iPad as their own device, it needs to be setup with their own info, and the easiest way to do that is to follow the instructions during initial setup. You can enter the personal info later after the iPad has been initialized, but it takes a lot more steps, and you need to know what you are doing.

Also, once you load videos and photos onto the iPad, there's no simple way to copy them back out -- there are third-party software that do this, but your clients will have to download and install them onto their computer. So although it's possible to setup the iPad without entering any of your information, connect it to your computer, and load the photos and videos onto it, if your clients want to do anything with the iPad other than watch the pre-installed videos and photos, they will have to wipe the iPad and start over.

Gifting people with iPads already pre-loaded with pictures and videos seem like a wonderful idea, and we frequently get people coming to this forum asking how to do it, but unfortunately, there's no really practical way to make it work. Sometimes it works with close family members, where the person giving the iPad can go over to the giftee's computer and set things up there, but otherwise, it's a no go.

auggius

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Couldn't you use the camera connection kit to import directly to the iPad without needing iTunes sync? Here's the description for it on the Apple website:

With the iPad Camera Connection Kit, it's incredibly easy to download photos and videos from your digital camera to your iPad so you can view them on the gorgeous iPad display and share them with family and friends.
The kit includes two connectors, each with a different interface:
The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included). iPhone 3G is not supported.
Use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from your camera's SD card. Connect it to your iPad, then insert your digital camera's SD card into the slot.
After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which photos and videos to import, then organises them into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos and videos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library.
iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4.

Looks like this should work.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Couldn't you use the camera connection kit to import directly to the iPad without needing iTunes sync?

Hmmm, that might work. Of course, the photos/videos will end up in the camera roll, sorted by date, so organizatiocally, it could look not optimal.

And you have to create a folder structure on the SD card exactly as if it just came out of a camera, and name your photos and videos as a camera would name them -- ie, you have to fool the iPad into thinking it is importing pics directly from a camera.

And if your clients have Windows, you may have to walk them through getting the pictures off their iPad, as iTunes won't do that for you. On a Mac, I believe iPhoto can import pictures from the iPad camera roll.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
again I guess the easiest thing is to just give the clients a DVD with the photos, movie and let them install them.

CivEngPE

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Any of the Android tablets will do exactly what you are asking here. A kindle fire may be an excellent, inexpensive option for you.

HaraldHeinrich

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Follow these instructions and you will have movies on your ipad.
1. Open iTunes (or download it and install)
2. File > Add to library > Choose video > Open.
3. Find your video on the left pane in iTunes under "movies" or "TV shows".
4. connect your ipad via USB to your computer.
5. Once your iPad has appeared on the left pane under "devices"
6. Drag the video from your iTunes Library to your iPad.
7. Your iPad should start syncing your video over to your iPad, sync info will appear in the top area of iTunes, it is perfectly normal for your iPad to do other things during syncing as well as copying your video, such as backing up and syncing contacts and/or music, other videos. You can find the settings of what gets automatically synced to your iPad by selecting your iPad in the left pane and finding the necessary type of media and select the relevant settings.

robee

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
Hi all, can anyone tell me how to import video from my Lumix ZS20 camera to my iPad directly via the camera kit? I can import photos but the videos do not show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.