Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
I did a search for this in forums and couldn't find anything recent. Found plenty of speculation on third party products though. First off, you'll need bluetooth in the iPod. Next a bluetooth compatible stereo, now you press play on your iPod within range and there you have it.
Playing video through your TV via your iPod would be cool too. Not sure if bluetooth has enough bandwidth though. (Maybe bluetooth 2?)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
deanbo said:
I did a search for this in forums and couldn't find anything recent. Found plenty of speculation on third party products though. First off, you'll need bluetooth in the iPod. Next a bluetooth compatible stereo, now you press play on your iPod within range and there you have it.
Playing video through your TV via your iPod would be cool too. Not sure if bluetooth has enough bandwidth though. (Maybe bluetooth 2?)

Yea this would be pretty neat :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I'm not sure exactly what you want but a while back a saw an article on Macbytes about turning the iTrip (I think) and an iPod into a remote control for the TV.

Is this what you mean?

deanbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Not Quite

Sharewaredemon said:
I'm not sure exactly what you want but a while back a saw an article on Macbytes about turning the iTrip (I think) and an iPod into a remote control for the TV.

Is this what you mean?

Not quite, but thankyou for the link. Didn't even know this gadget existed until now. What I meant was streaming video from your iPod to your TV via bluetooth. Or bluetooth 2 if that has enough bandwidth.

So basically you go to your local video store, d/l the movie you want to watch to your iPod, and then stream it to your TV when you get home.

I expect this service to be available from video stores before too long, once the piracy thing has been well and truly flogged. The argument will be, what's to stop a "hirer" from keeping the movie? (Hey Hollywood, what's to stop someone hiring a DVD and copying that?)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
deanbo said:
Not quite, but thankyou for the link. Didn't even know this gadget existed until now. What I meant was streaming video from your iPod to your TV via bluetooth. Or bluetooth 2 if that has enough bandwidth.

So basically you go to your local video store, d/l the movie you want to watch to your iPod, and then stream it to your TV when you get home.

I expect this service to be available from video stores before too long, once the piracy thing has been well and truly flogged. The argument will be, what's to stop a "hirer" from keeping the movie? (Hey Hollywood, what's to stop someone hiring a DVD and copying that?)

I see what you want now.
Well seeing as you can't do anything video related with the iPod right now I doubt that exists yet.

I think they might have a video out option on the next gen iPod, maybe using h.264 exclusively so as to keep from running the hard-drive in the iPod for too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.