Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I haven't got the iPad yet but am wondering is it possible? I'd like all my iPhone bookmarks carried over to my iPad.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
yeah, iCloud dude!
All my bookmarks and even the bookmarks bar are synced across my Macs, iPad and iPhone without me even doing anything.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I always thought iCloud was a paid service could I back them up for free? Basically enable within iPhone the iCloud, then enable it while syncing and that's it?

I have not messed with iCloud once.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I always thought iCloud was a paid service could I back them up for free? Basically enable within iPhone the iCloud, then enable it while syncing and that's it?

Yep, this is what you do. It is a free service and includes 5GB of storage for free. If you need more storage you do need to pay for it, but for syncing stuff it's perfectly fine. I have my phone and ipad both backing up to it within the 5GB space also -- all the music and stuff synced from iTunes doesn't go into that storage (and no I don't have iTunes Match).

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England

I have not messed with iCloud once.

If you have an iPhone have you not already got an iCloud account?
If you have, then sign in with your iCloud account on your iPad when you get it. (You will be prompted to when you boot it up for the first time). From then on all your stuff in your calendar, messages, mail and photo apps sync across all devices (including other stuff like book marks on safari, as long as you have turned iCloud on in your settings for each appropriate app).
It sounds complicated until you use it, it's incredibly easy and makes owning multiple Apple devices an absolute pleasure.
And iCloud is free, unless you require more than 5GB backup space.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

deeddawg said:

Yep, this is what you do. It is a free service and includes 5GB of storage for free. If you need more storage you do need to pay for it, but for syncing stuff it's perfectly fine. I have my phone and ipad both backing up to it within the 5GB space also -- all the music and stuff synced from iTunes doesn't go into that storage (and no I don't have iTunes Match).

Thanks dawg, going to give it a shot right now.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

@boy that sounds extremely simple and awesome, seems great for in the event your phone bricks or a iTunes backup is corrupt everything is saved. I am not sure how I feel about my photos being "saved" online though.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Xmarks

Xmarks for Safari can also help facilitate this. Unlike iCloud, it will only sync bookmarks when you do an iTunes sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.