Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector under your Smart Cover?

• Yes, I do keep both on my iPad.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • No, Just a Smart Cover.

Votes: 74 64.9%
  • Just a Screen Protector.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Nothing is protecting the screen.

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
On my iPad 2, I have always kept a matte screen shield on, even though I keep a Smart Cover on my iPad 2. I've been thinking of taking it off, seeing as I have a Smart Cover over the screen, anyway.

Do you? And why?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I always wear a condom under my condom, you know, just to be safe.

I've got an iPad 1 that's got thousands of daily miles on the odometer that's never been screen-protected. Not a scratch. You're worrying about the wrong side. Gorilla Glass doesn't scratch; aluminum does.

BJ

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I do not have a iPad but I will tell you if you remove that Matte screen protector you will end up putting another on in a week. I tried it with my iPhone 4 and after a week of streaks, smudges and never staying clean I put mine back on.

Even though a matte protector slightly messes with picture quality the advantages outweigh it. No more noticeable smudges, smudges come off easily (usually from being in my pocket), finger glides smoothly across the screen and never grips, you will never see a reflection instead of the screen.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I always wear a condom under my condom, you know, just to be safe.

I've got an iPad 1 that's got thousands of daily miles on the odometer that's never been screen-protected. Not a scratch. You're worrying about the wrong side. Gorilla Glass doesn't scratch; aluminum does.

BJ

My iPad 2 did while I was using a smart cover. Now I use a screen protector as well as a smart cover.

Cue downvoting because I had a negative experience and posted about it.

Last edited:

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
My iPad 2 did while I was using a smart cover. Now I use a screen protector as well as a smart cover.

Queue downvoting because I had a negative experience and posted about it.

Cue downvoting because of your improper use of "queue" :p

I rocked a screen protector under the smart cover because I hate glare, though, not to protect the screen.

My last phone (non-iPhone) had gorilla glass as well but ended up having tiny scratches all over from carrying it in my pocket daily. So yes, GG does scratch.

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
I've never used a screen protector on mine. I don't plan to in the future either.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I also use a matte screen protector to reduce the impact of fingerprints. On all my iDevices.
Even then on the iPad screen foile I still can see where the keyboard is; but at least I can change from time to time.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
You're worrying about the wrong side. Gorilla Glass doesn't scratch; aluminum does.

sorry but the Gorilla Glass does scratch, I've had minor scratches on my 3GS and 4 (and 2G but that was because daughter knocked it out of my hand onto carpet seperater) despite being v careful. Since then all my iOS devices have had a screen protector on them. Indeed with the iPads pretty much always on day 1.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I didn't use one on my iPad 1 and it was always in the apple case and I still got scratches on the screen. So I used one on my iPad 2 and already bought one for my new iPad so it will go on as soon as I take the iPad out of the box. I found the glass on every iOS device I had were very prone to scratches.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
My mate has one of them and I dislike it for one reason, it kills the screen quality by making colours look subdued - they don't pop.

Yup, it's not a free lunch ... But I'm ok with the colors I see through the folie. So right now still in favor to use a foile. Let see how it will be with the new iPad

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Yup, it's not a free lunch ... But I'm ok with the colors I see through the folie. So right now still in favor to use a foile. Let see how it will be with the new iPad

I do have to say though, that the glare and smudge free experience is quite calming, but I'm one of those guys that never put films or protectors on screens.

My iPad 2 fared well for the 9 months I had it, I sold it without a single scratch or mark anywhere.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
My mate has one of them and I dislike it for one reason, it kills the screen quality by making colours look subdued - they don't pop.

Not true. It may make it slightly grainy but color is fine to me. It maybe ever so so slightly darker but still looks great.

without
DSC03027.jpg

with
DSC03094.jpg

iPhone 4 with iPod touch 3G
DSC03085.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

EIGHTYTHREE

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2012
Hell no! Are people seriously putting screen protectors on iPads now....ridiculous! What are you doing that requires a screen protector?! Its not necessary, just enjoy your devices they way they are meant to be, use common sense and everything will be fine.However, I do understand common sense is lacking these days.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Hell no! Are people seriously putting screen protectors on iPads now....ridiculous! What are you doing that requires a screen protector?! Its not necessary, just enjoy your devices they way they are meant to be, use common sense and everything will be fine.However, I do understand common sense is lacking these days.

Nope. They actually scratch pretty easily. And because of the stupid way the smart cover folds it gathers any piece of dust and debris off of every surface you prop your iPad on. Then you close the cover and all that rubs right against the screen.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
because of the stupid way the smart cover folds it gathers any piece of dust and debris off of every surface you prop your iPad on. Then you close the cover and all that rubs right against the screen.

Do you have a better idea for the way the Smart Cover should fold?

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
To all the haters: I would like to give a first-hand experience with using JUST the Smart Cover... on the inside of the cover, there's the soft felt material. Unfortunately if you put that on a table that has ANY grit on it, that grit becomes embedded in the cover. Then when you close the cover and walk somewhere, you shove the grit against the glass screen and viola, scratches.

It has happened to me and I am EXTREMELY anal about my electronics. I unfortunately won't buy another Smart Cover, and I prefer having just the iVisor on it anyway.

----------

the opposite direction so the outside sits on the surface.

It doesn't work as well this way. It is pretty clearly meant to work the other way.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
the opposite direction so the outside sits on the surface.

I don't have a Smart Cover but from looking at images online I don't see how that could work. I like to think that Apple did plenty of R&D and came up the the best possible way for it to work. Are there aftermarket Smart Covers that are designed in the way you are wanting?

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I don't have a Smart Cover but from looking at images online I don't see how that could work. I like to think that Apple did plenty of R&D and came up the the best possible way for it to work. Are there aftermarket Smart Covers that are designed in the way you are wanting?

Not that I know of. I received my Smart Cover today and it does fold that direction and stay but I do not know if it works while on the iPad.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Not that I know of. I received my Smart Cover today and it does fold that direction and stay but I do not know if it works while on the iPad.

It will close, but the fold at the magnetic connection will "give" a little, making it pretty annoying to type on. Not to mention that you cannot use it standing up for video, it can collapse spontaneously.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC

not planning to use a screen protector

went 2 yrs on iPad1 without any trouble :D

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I use the Power Support anti-glare. Not so much for protection but for the anti-glare and anti-fingerprint. As for the screen clarity, my husband doesn't have a screen protector on his and to be honest I really don't see a difference. So I gave him my smart cover and I just have an iCarbon skin, a screen protector and a sleeve for travel. Works just right for me.

For me, the pluses outweigh any negatives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.