Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Which Performa do you have? Either it has a floppy interface on the back (a DB-19, by the way) or you can't hook one of these to it. Only a few Performas had external floppy connectors. There are no adapters to go from anything else to these external floppy drives.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
IIRC the only Performa with an external floppy drive port is the Performa 200 (a thinly disguised Classic II).

What is the reason for wanting to do this? I can think of 2.

:)

clearfire62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Sorry for the really long delay.

I want to use my old floppy drive to recover files from my old 800k disks. I have a Performa 6110CD which has a 1.4MB drive. The external drive is the only drive besides my Plus that has 800k drive to read the disks.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
I want to use my old floppy drive to recover files from my old 800k disks. I have a Performa 6110CD which has a 1.4MB drive. The external drive is the only drive besides my Plus that has 800k drive to read the disks.
Your performa should be able to read the 800k disks directly. Have you tried popping them in?

clearfire62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Yes I have. I don't remember what it says verbatim, but it says they cannot be read and need to be initialized. If you attempt to, it will fail. I thought that 800K and 1.4MB are incompatible, aren't they?

Also, did I put this in the right category on this forum?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Correct forum. You're fine there.

You need to check your 800K floppy only has a single hole (the write protect hole), normally has a sliding switch underneath.

If your 800K floppy has two holes, then it is really a 1.44MB diskette which may have been formatted in an 800K only drive mechanism. I've seen this done. The problem is when you put such a disk in a 1.44MB drive, the drive detects it as a 1.44MB disk and expects it to be formatted as such. If this is the case, you can attempt to read it as an 800K by putting some tape over the top and bottom of the second hole (NOT the write protect hole).

The other cause can be a failure of the 1.44MB detect switch in the drive. When an 800K disk is inserted, the switch is pushed down and closes the detect circuit. If the switch is faulty (dirty, oxidized), then it won't detect the 800K disk. Sometimes a drop of contact cleaner on the white actuator of the switch will work. This runs down the white actuator and into the switch, aiding the contacts to make 'better' contact. I have had situations where I've had to replace the switch.

There are a number of other possibilities like dirty heads. Also, if the data on the disk is important to you, DO NOT "Initialize" the disk. Doing so will erase it.

See the difference in the holes here:
http://floppydisk.com/images/dd_vs_hd.jpg

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
If you don't mind opening your computer and taking apart the external case, the 20 pin ribbon cable attached to your internal drive will fit the connector on the external drive. If that solves your problem you can copy your files to the HD.

Some Macs (up until the first iMacs) had an "extra" floppy port on the motherboard that you could use for a permanent solution, but I don't know about your Performa—which one is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.