Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek.fulmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Chicago
If I am running multiple tabs and navigate away from one or more of them for several minutes, once I switch back to a previously unopened tab, Safari refreshes it. Why is this? This is making it incredibly hard to accomplish tasks when in Safari.

derek.fulmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Chicago
Are you running out of RAM?
Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by Real Mem to show you the process(es) using up your RAM.

Hopefully I can answer this correctly...

I have 8GB of RAM in my MBP. Activity Monitor is showing that I have USED 2.41 GB and FREE 5.58 GB.

I have heard that this occurs in the new version of Lion, making it act more iOS like.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hopefully I can answer this correctly...

I have 8GB of RAM in my MBP. Activity Monitor is showing that I have USED 2.41 GB and FREE 5.58 GB.

I have heard that this occurs in the new version of Lion, making it act more iOS like.

You seem to have enough RAM, maybe it is just a bug. I have experienced the same in Safari, but on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard just yesterday, but I had two windows with at least ten tabs each open, though I didn't monitor the RAM usage to see, if RAM was the culprit, or if it might be just a bug.

derek.fulmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Chicago
You seem to have enough RAM, maybe it is just a bug. I have experienced the same in Safari, but on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard just yesterday, but I had two windows with at least ten tabs each open, though I didn't monitor the RAM usage to see, if RAM was the culprit, or if it might be just a bug.

I've been googling for a while now and I came across another board that said this was just how Safari is behaving now. Supposed to be more iOS like? I'm not sure but it's annoying as can be.

If anyone can chime in, would be much appreciated.

Thank you, simsaladimbamba, for your help. Any other idea as to what it could be? Remedies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.