Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Guys, I just got my first iPad, due to arrive on Friday. It's a 64gb with wi-fi only. I went with that because I sort of hate Verizon and AT&T and don't want to pay them any money all all.

I know the iPad data plans are month to month, so I realize I could turn it on and off when needed.

Did I make a mistake getting wi-fi only?

Thanks!

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I ordered my first wifi only too. I can hotspot my phone, so I'm not really worried about that aspect, but I will miss the iPad being able to find my location. Not sure how well that works in a wifi only model with no gps. I use maps quite a bit, but never for navigation. Always for reference from a stationary position.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
That's really only a question you can answer. Where do you intend to use your iPad?

I only use my iPad at home, school, or at work where WIFI is available. I don't travel much and I drive myself to work. I leave the iPad at home when I'm out and about, unless I'm visiting friends/family, but they've all got wifi too. So, for me, the 4g is a waste and I'd rather spend the money on nice apps/accessories.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Guys, I just got my first iPad, due to arrive on Friday. It's a 64gb with wi-fi only. I went with that because I sort of hate Verizon and AT&T and don't want to pay them any money all all.

I know the iPad data plans are month to month, so I realize I could turn it on and off when needed.

Thanks!

I never used 3G on my iPad 1 (even though I purchased the 3G version). So when I buy the new iPad I'm getting just the Wi-Fi version. With a 4S, it would be overkill for me to get an LTE iPad.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Yes. :cool:

----------

I never used 3G on my iPad 1 (even though I purchased the 3G version). So when I buy the new iPad I'm getting just the Wi-Fi version. With a 4S, it would be overkill for me to get an LTE iPad.

It's not overkill. It's convenient, and I prefer to save my 4S battery for talking on my phone. YMMV.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I had a Wifi only iPad before and preordered a new Wifi only iPad. I don't regret it at all, as I've never felt the need to use 4G and I'm almost always near a Wifi hotspot anyway. You can search the App Store for a free Wifi hotspot finder.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Not really if you have WiFi at home and places you take it. I got the WiFi version as well and if I made a mistake later, I could get a MiFi from Verizon if I had to.

Best of luck with the new iPad ;)

ID_Field_Blank

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
Where are you going to use it?

I went Wifi only with my gen 1 as I had and still don't have any need for the 3g. I'm either at home, in the library, in the lecture theatre, or driving when i can't use it anyway.

My gf has never used the 3g on hers for similar reasons.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I wondered the same thing. I have 3G in my current ipad.
I used it for a while, short while, then opted for a mifi unit.
No regrets having the mifi.
Check craigs list or ebay for a device. I picked one up for $100, I can connect 5 devices if needed and sell it if I no longer needed it. Can't do that with the built in hardware.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am thinking wifi, as I can drop my AT&T unlimited and teather using my phone if I need to for an extra $20 a month. So far most hotels I stay at include wifi in our corporate rate, so it has not been a big stumbling issue for me.

Losing the ability to turn the iPad into a 4g lte mifi isn't a big loss, as most places don't have lte yet, and I never carry both an iPad and a full laptop.

One thing to consider is the loss of the gps. The wifi location works great, but it is useless for turn by turn. Simple location services (like restaurants near a hotel search) works great however.

I have an xgps150 iPad compatible gps, I use this for aviation purposes where even the iPhone internal gps has issues. It's $100, so while needed for aviation, for surface uses (driving, boating, etc) the 4g iPad would be almost the same cost as the wifi only plus a gps add-on.

IGotuBagged

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
I ordered a 32gb Wifi....I have a 4s jailbroken and loaded with MyWi....I'll take the $130 i saved from not buying a 4G iPad and purchase a phone suite battery case to counter the battery drain from tethering.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I debated 4g vs wifi as well....and eventually I went with wifi.

-I would need to drive 1.5 hours to get to the nearest LTE coverage area

-I am almost never without wifi in places where I can or would use the ipad

-I always have my unlimited plan on my iPhone if I get get caught without wifi...I cans till check email or do some browsing from that no problem; I have for years.

My family bought my stepdad a 64gb 3g original ipad for his birthday a couple years ago....he has yet to use the 3g connectivity. IMO, if it fits your lifestyle and it's something you're already using or constantly catch yourself wishing you had it, go for it. I personally doubt I would use it very often if ever. The only time I think I would use it would be when I'm visiting relatives, but they have terrible coverage out there anyway and even then I still have my phone.

vulsker

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I thought the same thing but i figured if i end up needing traveling data, id just add the hotspot feature to my verizon account. To me... i just cant justify the extra cost for the lte model and then the monthly feature.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I thought the same thing but i figured if i end up needing traveling data, id just add the hotspot feature to my verizon account. To me... i just cant justify the extra cost for the lte model and then the monthly feature.

I thought this was the case for me, and I even went so far as to get a virgin mobile mifi pay as you go interenet for all my devices to work off the wifi. Just decided to go 3g after that and it was the best choice I ever made. So OP you might regret the limitations even if you have some alternatives like I did.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
From the many threads on this, I think the overall answer is: If you have a smartphone, no. If you don't, very likely.

I don't have a smartphone, and I regret it. There have been many times while traveling away from wifi that Internet would have been very useful, even if I didn't buy it every month. I am definitely getting it on my next iPad.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
This is a common question people have. In the end, it depends on where you live and how you are going to use it. For me, I live in a very tech-savvy region, so there are wifi hotspots all over the place. Shopping malls, coffee shops, even hair stylists and certain bus routes have free wifi. And for me, if I'm somewhere with no wifi, I have a smart phone I can use instead of the iPad.

But if wifi isn't so prevalent where you live, or the places you go a lot where you would use the device online have no free internet, or you just want to be able to use the device online no matter where you are and don't mind paying the extra $130, then it would make sense to get a cell-enabled iPad.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I had a Wifi only iPad before and preordered a new Wifi only iPad. I don't regret it at all, as I've never felt the need to use 4G and I'm almost always near a Wifi hotspot anyway. You can search the App Store for a free Wifi hotspot finder.

I've got a wifi finder app.... Unfortunately, I always find myself needing it when I don't have an Internet connection to use it with. Kinda defeats the purpose. Sure, I can plan ahead sometimes, but it's a bit of a pain to plan for every stop I might possibly make on a trip - and still doesn't help while I'm in the car on a road trip or at my grandma's house.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
From the many threads on this, I think the overall answer is: If you have a smartphone, no. If you don't, very likely.

I don't have a smartphone, and I regret it. There have been many times while traveling away from wifi that Internet would have been very useful, even if I didn't buy it every month. I am definitely getting it on my next iPad.

+1. I regretted my iPad 2 wifi purchase. But getting the LTE iPad now. But honestly if I had an iPhone or other tetherable smartphone and was already paying for a data plan I would get the wifi version.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
This will be my third iPad without 3/4G. I mainly use it at work or at home where there is wifi available. There were times I wish I had cellular connection, but I have my phone for that. It's pretty difficult to walk and use the iPad at the same time. :(

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks everyone for your replies! Feeling much better about going wi-fi only now. I'm gonna get some sort of MiFi device eventually, or maybe an iPhone 5.

Being an iPod touch user, I'm pretty familiar with all the wifi spots in Midtown!

Ha!

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I'm actually thinking the opposite as you. I bought the 4G LTE version and I'm wondering if that was a bad decision.

I don't know how much I'll use it. I had an iPad 1 that was wifi only and never really had any issues where I was like damn I wish I had 3G on this thing.

I went with the 4G LTE this time just to see if I figure out ways to use it, otherwise I'll know for next time to stick to Wifi only.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Yes. :cool:

----------

It's not overkill. It's convenient, and I prefer to save my 4S battery for talking on my phone. YMMV.

It's definitely convenient for when you need it, but for the two years I've had my first generation iPad, I have never activated the 3G once.

So this time around, I'm not going to waste $130 extra on a capability I probably will never use.

Another reason is that I'm already paying for data per month on my 4S, and would lean toward not wanting to purchase data for the iPad, just as a matter of principle, considering I can access the same info on my iPhone.

It sounds though like rneglia did not want to support AT&T or Verizon. If it's for that reason only (and they have a use for LTE/3G), then maybe they would have made use out of the 3G/LTE.

But I personally don't see a need for it in the iPad, especially since I have a 4S I pay monthly data fees for.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY

Thanks!

If you travel once in a while, perhaps you'll regret it. Free wi-fi ain't everywhere and when you travel you could easily sign up for a month.

If you never travel, I do not think you'll regret it.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I remember not using the. Ellular for near 6 months on my iPad. Then all of a sudden I am where there is no WiFi and cellular save my day! I guess I could have lived without it but after that one time being somewhere for a week with no WiFi, I would never own another iPad with out it.

You got to make your own choices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.