Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I have a friend who is the Director of Security for one of the largest mall operators in the country. He says hes been told to ensure his staff is fully ready for the launch of the iPad on the 16th, but he also said it will be at 8am.

UPDATE: Confirmed for 8am on Friday
img0313070341.jpeg

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/13/the-new-ipad-available-friday-march-16th-at-8am/

EDIT: I had to delete the last line of my post because my friend is afraid that someone might find out he told me about this.

Last edited:

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I have a friend who is the Director of Security for one of the largest mall operators in the country. He says hes been told to ensure his staff is fully ready for the launch of the iPad on the 16th, but he also said it will be at 8am.

Again, i'm not saying this is 100% official, but he was told by his boss (Which is a family member of the company that owns the malls).

Even if i believe you, he could also be told to prepare for 8am. Since then alot of people are already inline. Did he specific tell anything about the ipad launch?

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
That's really great news!
I'd much prefer an 8AM launch than the 5PM launch we saw last year.
It's just a lot nicer queuing up at that time :)

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Even if i believe you, he could also be told to prepare for 8am. Since then alot of people are already inline. Did he specific tell anything about the ipad launch?

Thats true. I just texted him again and he said that the 8am time is the official time otherwise he wouldn't waste his overtime budget putting his security guys twiddling their thumbs at 8am. He is confident that is the time they will open since his boss told him thats when he needed all his men to report.

----------

That's really great news!
I'd much prefer an 8AM launch than the 5PM launch we saw last year.
It's just a lot nicer queuing up at that time :)

It won't be 5pm because thats only about 4 hours (Most malls close at 9:30ish in the evening) for pickup orders and purchases. It wouldn't be fair to the in-store pick up people if they didn't get a chance to pick up there item since its been fully paid for.

My friend is 100% certain 8am is the time.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Last year it was 5pm everywhere in the US, and there was no preorder. I'm hoping they do it at store opening this year instead.

I was VERY happy to get to preorder this time, the same way I did for iPhone 4 -- it was nice to work from home and have a happy ring at the bell at 11am :)

Last year I had to queue at Best Buy at noon for the 5pm launch - glad to stay home this year!

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Thats true. I just texted him again and he said that the 8am time is the official time otherwise he wouldn't waste his overtime budget putting his security guys twiddling their thumbs at 8am. He is confident that is the time they will open since his boss told him thats when he needed all his men to report.

----------

It won't be 5pm because thats only about 4 hours (Most malls close at 9:30ish in the evening) for pickup orders and purchases. It wouldn't be fair to the in-store pick up people if they didn't get a chance to pick up there item since its been fully paid for.

My friend is 100% certain 8am is the time.

Good news then! Thanks for sharing:)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

iPhone
iPad 3G+WiFi
iPad 2 (all models)

All had 5pm launches. So it's not like Apple wouldn't consider it - whether it seems smart or "fair" or not.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
iPhone
iPad 3G+WiFi
iPad 2 (all models)

All had 5pm launches. So it's not like Apple wouldn't consider it - whether it seems smart or "fair" or not.

It was because no store pick up option was available. It was all show up to the store and stand in line. Since we have a store pick up option, Apple probably wants all the store pick up people to have a chance to pick up the iPad.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I think you and he are reading too much into this. Many shopping malls, including mine, open their doors at 8am, though the shops don't open until 9:30 or 10:00. So 8am is when someone would have to be ready for lots of people entering the mall and lines and stuff. When I bought my iPhone 4, that's exactly how things went down - people were lined up outside the mall, then it hit 8am and the line was guided into the mall and told where to stand. Then we waited an hour for the store to open.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I think you and he are reading too much into this. Many shopping malls, including mine, open their doors at 8am, though the shops don't open until 9:30 or 10:00. So 8am is when someone would have to be ready for lots of people entering the mall and lines and stuff. When I bought my iPhone 4, that's exactly how things went down - people were lined up outside the mall, then it hit 8am and the line was guided into the mall and told where to stand. Then we waited an hour for the store to open.

Well said. If the release is at 8am, security would probably need to be there by midnight the night before

fish48223

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
I'm a Security Director at Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor, MI. I was told by Apple this morning that the release is at 8:00 AM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.