Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
RolledUp20s
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm kind of taking 2 steps back & 1 foot forward here. Selling my mac mini which is setup at my Main Tv, so watching MKV files hasn't been an issue as VLC play all types.
However, that's all my mini was doing..not getting enough use really, so out he goes and I'm getting the MacBook Air & the new ATV. (1st time with an ATV aswel, been reading up on this but just finding old posts from 2007...surely theres a fix?
I'd like to have VLC again on my mac air and AirPlay the MKV files to my ATV, or if not VLC, is there another programme to do this now.. In 2012 :-). ??

Last edited by RolledUp20s; Mar 11, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
RolledUp20s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
RolledUp20s
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wrexham, North Wales
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

To add...

I have an iPhone 4S aswel, could I use the VLC app? Transfer the mkvs to iPhone then AirPlay to ATV?
RolledUp20s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
romadu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Airplay of MKV doesn't work

In my experience AppleTV is expecting to receive compatible files to play via airplay, so sending files with VLC, AV Player HD, etc. Presumably this is because the airplay system is not converting the video file into an AppleTV-compatible format.

There are a couple of options. The easiest I have found is to use iFlicks, which converts the file into AppleTV compatible format. For most MKV is doesn't need to reencode the video file, it just puts a new wrapper around it, so the conversion is quick and the file is AppleTV friendly.

Another option that may work is to try Airplay mirroring from your iPad or iPhone to AppleTV. I'm guessing (though I haven't tried it) that mirroring should show whatever is on the screen of your iPad rather than interpreting and playing a specific movie file. However I've had problems with screen resolution formatting using airplay mirroring, so don't think it's a great solution for playing movies.

The other option that I use is to plug a cable between a Macbook air and the TV. One end is the mini-display adaptor and the other end is HDMI. This allows both video and audio to go through one cable, and works well. There is the inconvenience of having the laptop showing the movie while it's also showing on the TV.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase of iFlicks and have a lot of movie and tv show files in AppleTV compatible format, but it may not be the best solution for everyone.

Cheers
Robin
romadu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:24 AM   #4
ravisirsi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thumbs up I have a solution which will work

Simple steps:

1) Get AirParrot 1.3.2 (you could also get a cracked version I guess! )

2) Airparrot will put a icon in the top status bar in Lion usually (don't know about other operating systems)

3) Click on the icon under devices select your Apple TV.

4) Enable Audio (Important).

5) you entire Mac Screen must be visible on your TV now.

6) Open VLC Player on your MAC and do the usual movie watching, the only difference is video will come on both screens (your mac and TV) but audio will stream from your TV connected speaker system (probably your surround sound)

7) Thats it, you not only mirror your Mac but also your movies (any format, .MKV, Avi etc etc) all depending on the movie player software you are using at Mac.

All the best, and if this works do like this post and comment back

Thanks
Ravi
ravisirsi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Pigumon
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisirsi View Post
Simple steps:

1) Get AirParrot 1.3.2
What he said!

Also, make sure you get 1.3.2 (or newer if it exists). The older versions had problems with audio, even when it worked, the audio was very low.

The only drawback with AirParrot is that it's a compressed stream that depends on your graphics hardware.

There's also second monitor mode in AirParrot so you can use you TV as a second monitor (for the movie or whatever) and continue to work on the main screen on your Macbook.
Pigumon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:26 AM   #6
spy008
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
AirPlay mkv files to atv simple

all you need is the airvideo app on your iPhone(or iPad etc)along with the airvideo server running on your computer. You can AirPlay any format to atv with this setup.
spy008 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisirsi View Post
Simple steps:

1) Get AirParrot 1.3.2 (you could also get a cracked version I guess! )

2) Airparrot will put a icon in the top status bar in Lion usually (don't know about other operating systems)

3) Click on the icon under devices select your Apple TV.

4) Enable Audio (Important).

5) you entire Mac Screen must be visible on your TV now.

6) Open VLC Player on your MAC and do the usual movie watching, the only difference is video will come on both screens (your mac and TV) but audio will stream from your TV connected speaker system (probably your surround sound)

7) Thats it, you not only mirror your Mac but also your movies (any format, .MKV, Avi etc etc) all depending on the movie player software you are using at Mac.

All the best, and if this works do like this post and comment back

Thanks
Ravi
I have not had success with it. Motion is not smooth. Have contacted them for support, and although they quickly responded, they were not able to help. Came down to my 2.66GHz Core Duo MBP was not up the requirements to stream smoothly.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; AE; TV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I like Beamer myself. $7, drag and drop MKV to play on Apple TV. Not as configurable as AirParrot you can check that one out as well. Both have time limited free trials available.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:04 AM   #9
richardsonad
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I just use Playback (http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/) to remux the MKV as an MP4 and then Airplay to my ATV through iTunes. Cost $15 but worth it for this feature alone, I've tried some of the free tools that do the same thing but the audio seems to lag in the final MP4 file.

Last edited by richardsonad; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
richardsonad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:02 PM   #10
whoiare
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
yup just like what everyone else has said. If your files are in mkv then youre mostly in luck with a remux software program. i use subler. so in 5 mins you can convert mkv to mp4. i then use identify to add metadata then drop it into itunes. Then setup home sharing and pull the file right off your itunes library. Of course you need your itunes library always on from your air. but this way you dont lose any quality from an airplay conversion. Also like others have said if you do have other files other than mkv then airvideo works just as good. Run the app on your phone, run the server on the air...airplay from the phone to the atv.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonad View Post
I just use Playback (http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/) to remux the MKV as an MP4 and then Airplay to my ATV through iTunes. Cost $15 but worth it for this feature alone, I've tried some of the free tools that do the same thing but the audio seems to lag in the final MP4 file.
why do you do that work to convert it to mp4 and put it into itunes using only to airplay it? why not connect directly to itunes via the ATV homesharing and play directly?
whoiare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Geo411m
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I use an app called video stream for iOS to stream the MKV video to my iPhone and airplay it to my Apple TV. It works with every video format i've thrown at it.
__________________
2012 MacBook Pro 13" | 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
256GB Samsung 830 SSD | 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
Geo411m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:11 AM   #12
dockingbay94
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I used to use a MacMini running Plex, but recently switched to an ATV3.

So now I have the Plex Media Server running on my Mac and then the Plex iOS app on my iPad. I can browse and stream all my mkv's to my iPad from the app and then Airplay to my ATV3. Works flawlessly.
__________________
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 3.33 GHz 6 Core, 12GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 4TB HDD, Logic Pro 9
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2008) 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD
iPad 2 32GB Black WiFi
iPhone 5 32GB Black
dockingbay94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:48 AM   #13
bripab007
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
MP4tools is a free utility to remux h.264-encoded MKV files to M4V/MP4 and even has device-specific presets: http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

Been using it to remux/encode MKV files for ATV2/3 for quite some time.
bripab007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:02 PM   #14
stepandy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
I like Beamer myself. $7, drag and drop MKV to play on Apple TV. Not as configurable as AirParrot you can check that one out as well. Both have time limited free trials available.
I found Beamer to be close to unusable. Resulting picture on ATV3 beaming from MBP via wired Eithernet was choppy. Tested with AVI, less choppy, but still no good.
stepandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:07 PM   #15
hipnetic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that any of the on-the-fly transcoding options (e.g., Air Video, Plex) support maintaining the 5.1 audio, so if that's important to you, your best option is to convert the MKV files ahead of time using something like Handbrake or Subler.

Subler will maintain the same PQ as the source, but requires that you're working with a movie that was encoded as MPEG4 (which most movies are, but two other Blu-ray encoding methods exist: VC-1 and MPEG2, and you won't be able to use Subler with those). If it's MP4, Subler should be fast, and PQ will be as good as the origin Blu-ray rip. Filesize should be about the same as the original, too.

Handbrake will be able to work with MPEG2 and VC-1 encoded movies, and can give you a smaller file, but because it's transcoding, the PQ will decrease somewhat. And unless you have a high-powered machine, the conversion process could take quite a while (several hours or more).

Personally, if you have one room in your house where 5.1 audio and high-quality PQ is important, and you don't mind keeping the original Blu-ray .MKV rips at full size (18-28GB or so), I would recommend getting something like a WDTV Live (about $100) which can play those MKV files as-is. I don't own one of those (though I've thought about getting one for travel purposes). I own an older Acer Revo 1600 ION nettop which runs Windows 7 and Plex/XBMC, which I use in my main movie room. For the other rooms in the house, stereo audio is fine and the TVs are smaller, so I can live with using Plex server on my main PC transcoding on-the-fly to an iPhone, and then AirPlaying that to the bedroom TV.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:55 AM   #16
shadowgex1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Another option is iSquint. It's free to download, and simple to use. If you want, you can use advanced settings to customize the video rate, frame rate, audio rate, dimensions, or even crop the video. Otherwise, there's a simple slider that you can use to set the quality you want.

It has options to optimize for iPod or TV, and a box you can check that will automatically upload it to iTunes. From there, you treat it as you would any other AirPlay video.

EDIT: i tested this with a couple MKV files; some worked and others came up with an error message.

Last edited by shadowgex1; Jul 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
shadowgex1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:21 PM   #17
hanzoh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockingbay94 View Post
I used to use a MacMini running Plex, but recently switched to an ATV3.

So now I have the Plex Media Server running on my Mac and then the Plex iOS app on my iPad. I can browse and stream all my mkv's to my iPad from the app and then Airplay to my ATV3. Works flawlessly.
How is that any better? You switched from one device to three devices needed to play the video from a hard disk.

I really want to like the (unjailbroken) ATV but in my scenario it is useless. I have old DVDs and BluRays ripped to an external hard drive, which I can even make available on the network via my router (== a NAS). Now I want ONE device that I need to turn on to get and watch the movie on my TV.

In my opinion that can only be a net top (for example a Zotac) running XBMC or whatever, or in the Apple universe a Mac mini (running XBMC or Plex etc).

Or am I missing anything here?
hanzoh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 07:34 AM   #18
EvilHomer484
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzoh View Post
How is that any better? You switched from one device to three devices needed to play the video from a hard disk.

I really want to like the (unjailbroken) ATV but in my scenario it is useless. I have old DVDs and BluRays ripped to an external hard drive, which I can even make available on the network via my router (== a NAS). Now I want ONE device that I need to turn on to get and watch the movie on my TV.

In my opinion that can only be a net top (for example a Zotac) running XBMC or whatever, or in the Apple universe a Mac mini (running XBMC or Plex etc).

Or am I missing anything here?
Have you thought of one of these or similar? WD TV Live Media Streamer.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...pr_product_top

should be able to stream straight from NAS.

I too would ideally like to use apple tv but i dont like the fact you have got to have a computer running an itunes library to do so...

only downside i can see with the WD TV live is that you can't play movies downloaded from itunes store.
EvilHomer484 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:25 PM   #19
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
Or instead of airparrot, because you have a new MacBook Air, you can just use the built in airplay mirroring, which will work substantially better. But honestly, I would convert them all over to mp4/m4v. You can use them right in iTunes and transfer them to your iOS devices. I would use Handbrake for that.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:54 PM   #20
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a
 
JohnLT13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Or instead of airparrot, because you have a new MacBook Air, you can just use the built in airplay mirroring, which will work substantially better. But honestly, I would convert them all over to mp4/m4v. You can use them right in iTunes and transfer them to your iOS devices. I would use Handbrake for that.
this is the methods I use with great results. Mirroring can degrade video quality, but if original file is 720/1080 you shouldn't notice a difference.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:26 PM   #21
dallasbpeters
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin
Beamer

This has been working beautifully for me! Love it. http://beamer-app.com
dallasbpeters is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #22
albeik
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbpeters View Post
This has been working beautifully for me! Love it. http://beamer-app.com
This. Very simple and works seamlessly with all my 1080p MKVs and 5.1 surround sound from my MacBook Air. =)
__________________
"Quality is not a function of time spent, but a function of the effectiveness of the effort."
albeik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:00 AM   #23
latecomer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Beamer works ok for me. http://beamer-app.com. Takes quite a while to drop movies from my NAS into beamer though. Other than that. I am happy.

Thanks everyone for posting a solution.

Last edited by latecomer; Apr 1, 2014 at 03:06 AM.
latecomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:57 AM   #24
matrix07
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
Beamer works ok for me. http://beamer-app.com. Takes quite a while to drop movies from my NAS into beamer though. Other than that. I am happy.

Thanks everyone for posting a solution.
I just played an MKV with VLC like the OP intended and AirPlay mirroring to my ATV 3. Works like a charm, and free of charge.
__________________
13" Macbook Air 2011, iPad 2 16 GB., iPad mini 16 GB., iPhone 4 16 GB.
matrix07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:02 PM   #25
priitv8
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post
I just played an MKV with VLC like the OP intended and AirPlay mirroring to my ATV 3. Works like a charm, and free of charge.
Do you get surround sound with this approach?
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vlc 2.0.5 (audio+mkv problem) DJTaurus Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Mar 30, 2013 09:24 AM
VLC .mkv problems.... DJTaurus Mac Basics and Help 2 Nov 19, 2012 11:01 AM
Mac mini mid 2011 - struggles with mkv - vlc DJTaurus Mac mini 1 Nov 16, 2012 03:28 PM
Extracting clip from .mkv in VLC (mac) bigpoppamac31 Digital Video 4 Oct 2, 2012 08:14 AM
VLC 2.0 & MKV on OSX dusk007 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 9 Sep 10, 2012 02:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC