Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
hi all, so i now love time machine. i don't know why i never used it before.

but i have a question... my mbp is closing in on that point of needing a clean install. doesn't restoring a cleanly formatted hard drive to a previously-saved time machine version negate the benefits of performing a clean install?

i thought the idea of a clean install is to clean out the cellar, so-to-speak. but time machine would put it all back, right?

thanks in advance for opinions and comments...

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I do not understand what you mean by "closing in on that point of needing a clean install"? Upon what conditions are you basing this conclusion? What are the benefits you expect from performing a clean install?

ayres

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
I do not understand what you mean by "closing in on that point of needing a clean install"? Upon what conditions are you basing this conclusion? What are the benefits you expect from performing a clean install?

from what i've always assumed, after a year or more of heavy, daily use, a clean install is a effective way to increase the performances of a computer and operating system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.