Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the white iPad look yellow to you?

• Total voters

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I have always liked the looks of the white iPad in promotional videos and photos. But when I see one in the Apple store or Best Buy, the white bezel always seems to have a slight yellow tint and not the bright white that I see in the advertisements. Has anyone else noticed this?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I have always liked the looks of the white iPad in promotional videos and photos. But when I see one in the Apple store or Best Buy, the white bezel always seems to have a slight yellow tint and not the bright white that I see in the advertisements. Has anyone else noticed this?

Its the contrast of the white bezel and the screen, that's why the black one doesn't do that

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Its the contrast of the white bezel and the screen, that's why the black one doesn't do that

Hmmm. I always attributed the yellow tint to the store lighting. I know that the different types of bulbs (incandescent, fluorescent, etc.) can change the lighted hues of different objects. I never took into account the contrast between the screen and bezel.

Lansing

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Phoenix
Glossy white things will always tint to the color around it. If you have yellow lighting, it will have a yellow tint.
Blue lighting (Like CFL) will give it more of a blue tint.

Don't worry too much about it and get what will make you happy

kujen

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
It's reflects the light around it. Store lighting doesn't usually look very nice.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
It definitely looks a pale yellow in some light. And considering I'll be using it indoors most of the time (where lighting is primarily more yellow), I chose black. It just looks strange with the bright screen and a slight yellow border.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Glossy white things will always tint to the color around it. If you have yellow lighting, it will have a yellow tint.
Blue lighting (Like CFL) will give it more of a blue tint.

Don't worry too much about it and get what will make you happy

How come the white iPods never exhibited this? They were always bright white.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
How come the white iPods never exhibited this? They were always bright white.

Some materials are more prone to metamerism issues than others, so they show more variation under different lighting temperatures relative to other objects viewed under similar lighting conditions. I don't know the full details of the materials or processes used to make either of these items or if they're similar.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
The white on iOS devices is not 100% brilliant white by design, I guess.
I had a white Incase Slider on my iPhone 4, and that was noticeably more white, than the white iPhone.
You only notice it, when it's next to something that is brilliant white. In that situation, the iPad and iPhone seem to be a slightly milky, or 'eggshell' white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.