Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indecisiveKid

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Any more thoughts, please don't be but off by my name, i'm not a kid.

Also thanks for your reply above. Thing is i need a mac and the waiting will stop me from doing some projects. Considering iPad was announced last week i cant see a new imac arriving before May, it may only be a few weeks away but 6 weeks is money not being made.

Is that a decent deal is what i want to know, what will waiying bring me? I don't need usb 3

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Sandy Bridge is a top CPU besides Specs don’t mean anything. When everyone else realises that experiences matter more than specs then we might finally get off this trend of wanting latest & greatest.

The only thing you will miss is if there is redesign, doubt it. Only the geeks care, guarantee you more than few people will be in and out Apple stores all over the world picking up this model and other mac products, not giving a damm about a new macs, as far as they are concerned when they was purchasing that mac was what was being sold.

A lot of people are just being spoilt now wasn't long ago Apple was giving these model outdated C2D chips people were still buying, now this sandy is great people want to wait for this. It all boils down to you, if you won't have buyers remorse then take the plunge the imac will last you a long time, just know there is one round the corner. No rumours of redesign just spec bump.

Ps Life to short you can wait forever or buy when you need it, yes it might be outdated by 1 year but remember how long C2D WERE IN MACS BEFORE/

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
I dont understand where half of you people get your information from.

Who said there would be another iMac any time soon? Just buy the god damn computer.

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011

Who said there would be another iMac any time soon? Just buy the god damn computer.

This. There is no refresh of the iMac "coming in the next few weeks". If this was the case, we'd know.

I'd say May is a possibility, but they will more than likely align the releases of the MBP and iMac.

Regardless, I wouldn't say that system is a good deal when you can get a refurb for a further £100 less.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
This. There is no refresh of the iMac "coming in the next few weeks". If this was the case, we'd know.

I'd say May is a possibility, but they will more than likely align the releases of the MBP and iMac.

Regardless, I wouldn't say that system is a good deal when you can get a refurb for a further £100 less.

Not everyone wants a refurb that has has hands on it, Albeit Apple refurbs are great, o like brand new. Each to their own i suppose. Anything over $10 or £10 on a brand new Apple products is a saving and looking at UK Apple store he will be saving £80 = GOOD DEAL IN MY EYES besides he will have 30 day return instead of Apples 14 day. Not that i see a reason to return the machine

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Not everyone wants a refurb that has has hands on it, Albeit Apple refurbs are great, o like brand new. Each to their own i suppose. Anything over $10 or £10 on a brand new Apple products is a saving and looking at UK Apple store he will be saving £80 = GOOD DEAL IN MY EYES besides he will have 30 day return instead of Apples 14 day. Not that i see a reason to return the machine

I had the same thing in mind when I posted actually, but my view is that Apple's refurbs are so good that they are definitely worth the saving :) Definitely agree with your point though, +1ed.

Routerninja

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
I took the plunge regardless of the new release coming. My current desktop was 3+ years old, and the i7 3.4 was a huge upgrade for me, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
It all depends what you plan on doing with it.

I don't see myself upgrading my 2012 Core 2 Duo Mac mini any time soon, Snow Leopard runs fine on it with 8 GiB RAM.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I took the plunge regardless of the new release coming. My current desktop was 3+ years old, and the i7 3.4 was a huge upgrade for me, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Same with me, go my own first personal (not company) iMac last week. But it all depends on what they upgrade. If they do something crazy with the resolution i will have to reconsider. For me Ivy Bridge is not worth the wait.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I got mine in September. If you throw in 12gb of RAM, you're good to go for a long time. The machine is speedy....

indecisiveKid

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks to everyone contributing, I have ordered the mac based on all the positive replies in this thread. Thank you very much. If anyone has anymore info they can provide for me I'll much appreciate it, like how this machine runs etc.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
the only reason now for anybody to be waiting is updated gpu.

its interesting how a lot of people here say its only a marginal increase in performance.

is 40-50% better performance in gpu department with 20% lower consumption all around marginal increase? thats for each one to decide. but for me, gpus are the only thing in imacs that needs to be improved for it to be more future proof. i would be waiting if it were only 20% increase.

the other thing is of course the usb 3

i buy this thing to have it at least 5 years, so waiting now is a no-brainer.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010

its interesting how a lot of people here say its only a marginal increase in performance.

is 40-50% better performance in gpu department with 20% lower consumption all around marginal increase? thats for each one to decide. but for me, gpus are the only thing in imacs that needs to be improved for it to be more future proof. i would be waiting if it were only 20% increase.

The Tdp on the 21.5 iMacs will run the same as now 65w its the higher models that will run lower from 95 watts to 77w if i remember correctly. The GPU is for integrated iMacs don't come with that, Discrete GPU cards, So the 40% + increase will be for the MBP/AIR. Correct me if I'm wrong please! please not i will come back with facts and pictures already posted on this side forum. The iMac in question 21.5 2.7 is more than enough for some professional.

People need to use their own brain , Apple says new 4s battery is better cos you get extra hour talk time, when in fact it is worse as you lose 100 hours in standby mode, most people work /doing things so in my eyes if you don't need siri/play games I[P4 is better deal/ A5 chip is minimal increase. I suppose some need to feel like they need certain things to justify them waiting, but what will be the point in getting an Haswell/broadwell iMac if you have IVY, for me i have to see some sort of drastic change

New Processors and price of Intel Ivy Bridge

Core i5-3450 – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3.1 GHz up to 3.5 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache,TDP of 77 watts,price $ 184
Core i5-3450S – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 2.8 GHz up to 3.5 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache,TDP of 65 watts,price $ 184
Core i5-3470T – 2 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 2.9 GHz 3.6 GHz with Turbo Boost, 3 MB third level cache, TDP of 35 watts, price $ 184
Core i5-3550 – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3.3 GHz up to 3.7 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 77 watts, price $ 205
Core i5-3550S – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3 GHz up to 3.7 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 65 watts, price $ 205
Core i5-3570K – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3.4 GHz 3.8 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 77 watts, price $ 225
Core i5-3570T – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 2.3 GHz up to 3.3 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 45 watts, price $ 205
Core i7-3770 – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 3.4 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP 77 watts, price $ 294
Core i7-3770K – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 3.5 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP 77 watts, price $ 332
Core i7-3770S – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 3.1 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP of 65 watts, price $ 294
Core i7-3770T – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 2.5 GHz up to 3.7 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP of 45 watts, the price is $ 294.

I wish people would no why they are waiting for things really!! The only reason to wait is USB3 or redesign, doubt it though!!
Core i5-3450S =base iMac 2400s Core i5-3550S= 2500s on the iMac in question above.TDP IS THE SAME. The top end I7s will see less heat in iMacs so 27 INCH IMACS

Last edited:

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
The Tdp on the 21.5 iMacs will run the same as now 65w its the higher models that will run lower from 95 watts to 77w if i remember correctly. The GPU is for integrated iMacs don't come with that, Discrete GPU cards, So the 40% + increase will be for the MBP/AIR. Correct me if I'm wrong please! please not i will come back with facts and pictures already posted on this side forum. The iMac in question 21.5 2.7 is more than enough for some professional.

People need to use their own brain , Apple says new 4s battery is better cos you get extra hour talk time, when in fact it is worse as you lose 100 hours in standby mode, most people work /doing things so in my eyes if you don't need siri/play games I[P4 is better deal/ A5 chip is minimal increase. I suppose some need to feel like they need certain things to justify them waiting, but what will be the point in getting an Haswell/broadwell iMac if you have IVY, for me i have to see some sort of drastic change

Core i5-3450 – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3.1 GHz up to 3.5 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache,TDP of 77 watts,price $ 184
Core i5-3450S – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 2.8 GHz up to 3.5 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache,TDP of 65 watts,price $ 184
Core i5-3470T – 2 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 2.9 GHz 3.6 GHz with Turbo Boost, 3 MB third level cache, TDP of 35 watts, price $ 184
Core i5-3550 – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3.3 GHz up to 3.7 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 77 watts, price $ 205
Core i5-3550S – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3 GHz up to 3.7 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 65 watts, price $ 205
Core i5-3570K – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 3.4 GHz 3.8 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 77 watts, price $ 225
Core i5-3570T – 4 cores, 4 threads, the frequency of 2.3 GHz up to 3.3 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 MB third level cache, TDP of 45 watts, price $ 205
Core i7-3770 – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 3.4 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP 77 watts, price $ 294
Core i7-3770K – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 3.5 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP 77 watts, price $ 332
Core i7-3770S – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 3.1 GHz up to 3.9 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP of 65 watts, price $ 294
Core i7-3770T – 4 cores, 8 threads, the frequency of 2.5 GHz up to 3.7 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache in the third level, TDP of 45 watts, the price is $ 294.

I wish people would no why they are waiting for things really!! The only reason to wait is USB3 or redesign, doubt it though!!
Core i5-3450S =base iMac 2400s Core i5-3550S= 2500s on the iMac in question above.TDP IS THE SAME. The top end I7s will see less heat in iMacs so 27 INCH IMACS

Brilliant spot on with your facts. Also some say low end 2012 iMacs could still use Sandy Bridge. All in all the iMacs out now & in the next few months are great Machines. Also some lower ivy bridge chips are running at 77w higher than base imac & one above base imac now. So people really do need to research before typing on these forums. Ignorance I suppose, not good

Last edited:

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010

i7-3770 is 77 watts as opposed to 95 watts in high end imac sandy bridge + native usb 3 support

7970m is 65 watts as opposed to 75 watts in 6970m with 40-50% performance boost

bluetooth 4.0 (who knows what will they come up with in peripherials department)

i should have been more specific, im waiting for the high end imac 27.

also hoping for lower ssd prices

this is enough for me to wait a couple of months

i guess youre the one who needs to straighten up your facts. its been here on the forums, it a big year for AMD and NVIDIA with 28nm, kepler and GCN, who cares about integrated graphics.

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

"A few weeks", of course, gives a lot of room for leeway. It does seem clear, however, that a new iMac will be produced as soon as Apple can get parts for it, so barring a global silicon shortage it would be worthwhile to wait unless a new computer is already desperately needed.

I bought this baby 36 days before the refresh in '08. Not making that mistake again. Tax check is already in my account, but unless this one stops booting, I'm not buying until the '12 model is out..

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
i7-3770 is 77 watts as opposed to 95 watts in high end imac sandy bridge + native usb 3 support

7970m is 65 watts as opposed to 75 watts in 6970m with 40-50% performance boost

bluetooth 4.0 (who knows what will they come up with in peripherials department)

i should have been more specific, im waiting for the high end imac 27.

also hoping for lower ssd prices

this is enough for me to wait a couple of months

i guess you're the one who needs to straighten up your facts. its been here on the forums, it a big year for AMD and NVIDIA with 28nm, kepler and GCN, who cares about integrated graphics.

So I was right, as you now state you are waiting for high end which will see the differences in terms of TDP , I never had the information on hand. Just admit you're wrong & I was right. Keep waiting.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
So I was right, as you now state you are waiting for high end which will see the differences in terms of TDP , I never had the information on hand. Just admit you're wrong & I was right. Keep waiting.

haha what? please quote me where i was wrong?

like i said, i just needed to be more specific.

you were wrong quoting intel HD4000 which isnt used in iMacs. why would i be posting in iMac forum about macbooks?

but youre still forgetting about amd and nvidia. low end imac also has discrete gpu (6770M) so it will also see a reduction in TDP. there is a lot more in imacs than cpu ;)

chill out dude

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
haha what? please quote me where i was wrong?

like i said, i just needed to be more specific.

you were wrong quoting intel HD4000 which isnt used in iMacs. why would i be posting in iMac forum about macbooks?

but youre still forgetting about amd and nvidia. low end imac also has discrete gpu (6770M) so it will also see a reduction in TDP. there is a lot more in imacs than cpu ;)

chill out dude

But as far as CPU goes which is what we was talking about Sandy V Ivy I was right, now your switching it to GPU. I deal with people like you daily, find out they are wrong then switch subject.

----------

Please show me where the Amd/Nvida chips say this!! As far as CPU goes please see my post above

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
But as far as CPU goes which is what we was talking about Sandy V Ivy I was right, now your switching it to GPU. I deal with people like you daily, find out they are wrong then switch subject.

----------

Please show me where the Amd/Nvida chips say this!! As far as CPU goes please see my post above

so with the first statement you're basically saying that i was wrong saying imacs will have lower tdp cpus? look again at your facts
maybe lower end no (in cpu department) but higher end YES
so i guess i wasnt wrong? or you still dont now how to read english...

second, amd and nvidia doesnt say anything, as usual. but considering the transition from 40nm to 28nm (which is huge) and amd cards that have already came out (hd7870, on that chip 7970m will be based) its pretty safe to say we will be seeing 40-50% boost with 10 watts lower tdp, on 7970m.
7770m will also have lower tdp with better performance, possibly even more than 7970m.
however, we should be seeing even bigger boost in performance with kepler mobile chips, if apple chooses to go with nvidia. its a pretty big jump. gpu enthusiasts have been waiting for this transition a long time. look it up on forums and rumors and predictions all around the internet.

even if lower end doesnt get lower tdp cpus, they will get cooler and much better graphics, much better, we're talking here about 40nm to 28nm.

i really dont think that youre dealing with people at all, considering your way of communicating, and you definitely cant find where their are wrong, based on previous posts. why are you so frustrated? calm down, we're talking about f. computers
i've been planning to buy 2012 imac for 5 years now, this year im buying the new computer, its my buying cycle, every 5 years. and i have been following cpus and gpus and imac rumors very closely for about 3-4 months now, i have done my homework.

the bottom line, to stay on topic, is if you value and need gpu power in your imac, this is the best upgrade in gpus in the last 3 years. if you dont, then buy now.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Ivy is bringing 10-20% gains on the very top end 3.4GHz. Not sure about the GPU as Apple fip-flops and you may even get Nvidia, who knows with the consumer stuff. But whatever they choose it will be MUCH slower than a REAL 7970. Guarantee that.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
so with the first statement you're basically saying that i was wrong saying imacs will have lower tdp cpus? look again at your facts
maybe lower end no (in cpu department) but higher end YES
so i guess i wasnt wrong? or you still dont now how to read english...

second, amd and nvidia doesnt say anything, as usual. but considering the transition from 40nm to 28nm (which is huge) and amd cards that have already came out (hd7870, on that chip 7970m will be based) its pretty safe to say we will be seeing 40-50% boost with 10 watts lower tdp, on 7970m.
7770m will also have lower tdp with better performance, possibly even more than 7970m.
however, we should be seeing even bigger boost in performance with kepler mobile chips, if apple chooses to go with nvidia. its a pretty big jump. gpu enthusiasts have been waiting for this transition a long time. look it up on forums and rumors and predictions all around the internet.

even if lower end doesnt get lower tdp cpus, they will get cooler and much better graphics, much better, we're talking here about 40nm to 28nm.

i really dont think that youre dealing with people at all, considering your way of communicating, and you definitely cant find where their are wrong, based on previous posts. why are you so frustrated? calm down, we're talking about f. computers
i've been planning to buy 2012 imac for 5 years now, this year im buying the new computer, its my buying cycle, every 5 years. and i have been following cpus and gpus and imac rumors very closely for about 3-4 months now, i have done my homework.

the bottom line, to stay on topic, is if you value and need gpu power in your imac, this is the best upgrade in gpus in the last 3 years. if you dont, then buy now.

Im not arguing with you and sorry if i offended you, you are saying what i said in the first post regarding this issue The Tdp on the 21.5 iMacs will run the same as now 65w its the higher models that will run lower from 95 watts to 77w if i remember correctly although i got the high end mixed up as i didn't have the states with me.

Enjoy you're new computer when it finally arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.