Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, I finally bit the bullet and paid for iTunes match. I had been using google music through the GMusic app on the appstore (very good by the way). Unfortunately, this doesn't play well with the Nike + GPS app. Said app grabs onto the music app and won't let go. I finally got sick of fumbling with this on runs, so I figured iTunes match uses the stock music app, so all should be well. Well, it is, in terms of Nike + GPS. It is not, in terms of syncing my music.

I don't buy any music on iTunes, namely because it is often cheaper elsewhere. My problem is that about half my tracks were not matched, but rather uploaded (I have around 3000 tracks). Of the tracks that were uploaded, there are maybe 100 that are not on iTunes. Most everything i own SHOULD be getting matched and not uploaded. So what do I have to do in order for iTunes to recognize them? Everything is 192kbps+ MP3 format.

I did do a bit of searching, but didn't find a real conclusive answer. The best I could find is someone recommending conversion if you had some really old low bitrate tracks, variable bitrate tracks, etc. Basically, none of the scenarios applied to me.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
There's not *much* you can do to get iTunes to match them. One thing I've found to be helpful is by creating an AAC of the MP3, deleting the MP3 from iTunes and iCloud, re-adding the AAC and running Match again. PITA? You damn right it is.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
There's not *much* you can do to get iTunes to match them. One thing I've found to be helpful is by creating an AAC of the MP3, deleting the MP3 from iTunes and iCloud, re-adding the AAC and running Match again. PITA? You damn right it is.

Wow, that really... sucks LOL. What would be the success rate with this, in your experience? Is it pretty certain to work if I do the AAC conversions or is it still largely a crap shoot? I guess I simply don;t understand how iTunes actually matches songs. I always assumed it was just the track info matched with a track length or something, but I don't know. I suppose the most accurate way might be for iTunes to actually take a sample of each track (kind of like sound hound or shazam), but that might be too server intensive.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
It's been hit or miss. What's strange is sometimes I'll add an album purchased from Amazon only to have all but 2 tracks match. I'll then delete it from iTunes/iCloud and re-add only to have it match every song. o_O

I honestly don't think it has anything do with the metadata as someone could change an album to something else and get that album matched. Of course on the flipside, I've changed a song's time to match that of iTunes and then the song will match so who knows.

I've definitely had success with the AAC deal, but I usually only do it to those 1 or 2 tracks that don't match on an album. Another thing I do, which contradicts what I just said, is make sure the metadata is the same as it is on iTunes. I'm with you, I just wish I knew how it was being matched.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's been hit or miss. What's strange is sometimes I'll add an album purchased from Amazon only to have all but 2 tracks match.

I did notice this happening with a few tracks here and there as well. So do you just use iTunes to convert or is there something you like better?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I just use iTunes. All you need to do is make sure your import settings are set to AAC and custom 256. Like I said, it doesn't always work but it is worth a shot.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I just use iTunes. All you need to do is make sure your import settings are set to AAC and custom 256. Like I said, it doesn't always work but it is worth a shot.

Gave it a shot last night. Basically not worth my time. It worked for about 10 out of the 50 tracks I did. Bummer... Hopefully this improves. I wouldn;t care so much, but isn;t there a 5k song limit?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Oh no, it's 25,000. Sorry to hear it did fully work for you, but that's how it's been for me.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
iTunes Match identifies tracks based on a section of the audio data. I've noticed that sometimes when a song has quite a bit of compression (MP3 below 320), iTunes Match has trouble matching, this is likely caused by the compression artifacts; not much you can do unless you can get a hold of higher quality sound files. Audio from CDs ripped at high bitrate will give you the highest success rate with matching.

My library of 10000+ songs is about 98% matched and my source material was mostly 256kbps AAC or Apple Lossless rips.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
iTunes Match identifies tracks based on a section of the audio data. I've noticed that sometimes when a song has quite a bit of compression (MP3 below 320), iTunes Match has trouble matching, this is likely caused by the compression artifacts; not much you can do unless you can get a hold of higher quality sound files. Audio from CDs ripped at high bitrate will give you the highest success rate with matching.

My library of 10000+ songs is about 98% matched and my source material was mostly 256kbps AAC or Apple Lossless rips.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I will make sure to get higher quality rips from now on. :)

----------

Oh no, it's 25,000.

Ah, that's a much better number. I will never hit that, I don't think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.