Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hey guys,

So I have iPad 3 on order and it will deliver on the 16th. I have an iPad 2, iPod touch 2nd generation, and an aluminum MacBook from 2008. I want to know what is the big deal about a retina display? Will I be able to tell the difference? Or did I just waste money? I honestly don't know. The screen on my iPod and iPad look the same. I've held a friends iPhone 4 and I see the screen looks a little shinier and more detailed. Is it something like that?

Thanks in advance. I know it's a stupid question but I'm not familiar with all of those high tech items. Thanks.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Hey guys,

So I have iPad 3 on order and it will deliver on the 16th. I have an iPad 2, iPod touch 2nd generation, and an aluminum MacBook from 2008. I want to know what is the big deal about a retina display? Will I be able to tell the difference? Or did I just waste money? I honestly don't know. The screen on my iPod and iPad look the same. I've held a friends iPhone 4 and I see the screen looks a little shinier and more detailed. Is it something like that?

Thanks in advance. I know it's a stupid question but I'm not familiar with all of those high tech items. Thanks.

When you zoom in on text on an iPhone 4, it doesn't get pixelated. When you do that on an iPad or iPad 2, you'll see the pixels.

The iPad 3rd gen's screen will be like the iPhone 4, only way more amazing. When first saw the iPad 2, I thought the screen was beautiful. Now imagine it 10 times more awesome than that.

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
When you zoom in on text on an iPhone 4, it doesn't get pixelated. When you do that on an iPad or iPad 2, you'll see the pixels.

The iPad 3rd gen's screen will be like the iPhone 4, only way more amazing. When first saw the iPad 2, I thought the screen was beautiful. Now imagine it 10 times more awesome than that.

Will the home screen look better???

gamecube117

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I was talking to a sales associate about the iPad 3 and I don't know either. He said "if you zoom in really, really, really closely, you can see the sharpness of each letter of the text on the new iPad, but I don't know anyone who would read like that."

Is the iPad 3's retina display screen the same one as the 4S?

Snesley Wipes

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
I was talking to a sales associate about the iPad 3 and I don't know either. He said "if you zoom in really, really, really closely, you can see the sharpness of each letter of the text on the new iPad, but I don't know anyone who would read like that."

How would he know?

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Will the home screen look better???

All of the icons on the home screen will look sharper. Like I said earlier, it'll look like the iPhone 4 display, only much more awesome because of the sheer size of the screen.

Compare an iPhone 1/3G/3GS to an iPhone 4. Look at how fuzzy the icons are on the 1/3G/3GS compared to the 4.

I'm probably the most uptight and detail-oriented person out of my group of friends and I pre-ordered mine without a second thought.

Trust me, you made a good choice pre-ordering it.

iDvisic

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
no, no not you. just the thread in general. the retina display is absolutely stunning. you will love it. promise. its like going back to regular cable from HD .

Wait. The new retina display will be like going to regular cable?? :eek:

*cancels pre-order*

;)

-->iDv.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
It will be like going from a 480i movie to above 1080p (we'll say 1080p) Go on youtube and compare the quality... it will be similar to that type of upgrade. On EVERYTHING on the screen ALL the time.

See attachments..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 12.33.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 12.33.27 AM.png
    274 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 12.33.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-13 at 12.33.48 AM.png
    183.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You will notice a striking difference between the two iPads' displays once you have them side by side. From that point on you will refer to your iPad 2 as "the one with the crap display."

Hoggles

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Portlandia
The iPad 2 is about to look very outdated.

I still am amazed people are even remotely wondering if the new screen will look good, or if anything but text will be sharper... What the?

Kind of a no brainer....

Everything will look 10x better.

2048 X 1536 on a 9.7 inch display..... Nuff said.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
its insane because I look at my ipad 2 and think "man thats a nice looking screen" can only imagine what Retina is gonna be like on that big a screen! amazing!

snarestud940

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
its insane because I look at my ipad 2 and think "man thats a nice looking screen" can only imagine what Retina is gonna be like on that big a screen! amazing!

Agreed. That HD analogy really helped. I can always tell an HD channel. Thanks very much!!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.