Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
I figured someone here might have experiences with the Mac Mini server. My wife is using it for personal use to dump multimedia from her laptop (macbook air). I've found that cloud storage isn't there just yet for her to do it that way. I'm not really looking to put a RAID unit together since the important stuff is already super backed up already. This would be a home server basically.

Any help is appreciated.
Dan

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Hello.

I'm still on the process of getting a Mini...
My take on it would be, what are exactly her needs?
Just backing things up? I guess you say that's not the case.
Then my bet would be you wanna set it up as a streaming device, for sharing files on other computers (not only the Air) or maybe share an iTunes library and stream it via an AppleTV.. or something like that.
In any of those cases, I think the base mini should be sufficient, probably the server would be overkill.

But since you already have the server... and you say you don't fancy anything on the cloud (probably in the same vein of accessing the server outside your home to stream music to your mobile phone for instance), then my inexperienced take on it would be, that pairing it with an AppleTV (there are other options, but with that price, I would go for the ATV, the Apple route after all) would really take that sweet juice out of that server for AirPlay mirroring on a big screen and streaming of multimedia content (that is not to say of course, you just use a HDMI cable and ditch the ATV).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have a mid-2007 spec mini running lion server (with a heap of disk and 2gb of RAM) and it works fine as a time machine backup location and general file server.

dantra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Hello.

I'm still on the process of getting a Mini...
My take on it would be, what are exactly her needs?
Just backing things up? I guess you say that's not the case.
Then my bet would be you wanna set it up as a streaming device, for sharing files on other computers (not only the Air) or maybe share an iTunes library and stream it via an AppleTV.. or something like that.
In any of those cases, I think the base mini should be sufficient, probably the server would be overkill.

But since you already have the server... and you say you don't fancy anything on the cloud (probably in the same vein of accessing the server outside your home to stream music to your mobile phone for instance), then my inexperienced take on it would be, that pairing it with an AppleTV (there are other options, but with that price, I would go for the ATV, the Apple route after all) would really take that sweet juice out of that server for AirPlay mirroring on a big screen and streaming of multimedia content (that is not to say of course, you just use a HDMI cable and ditch the ATV).

I have a mid-2007 spec mini running lion server (with a heap of disk and 2gb of RAM) and it works fine as a time machine backup location and general file server.

Thanks guys, she will be happy to know that what she wanted to use it for is exactly what she can do with it.

Thanks again
Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.