Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
My short story: I installed a BytaFont font update and the new version of that font caused my phone to go into an endless respring loop.

I should be able to fix this if I can get a copy of the fonts cache folder off iOS 5 (specifically 5.0.1, but I'm sure any iOS 5 or maybe even iOS 4 folder would work). This can be found in System\Library\Fonts and the folder is simply called Cache; I need that entire Cache folder. All it contains is the normal fonts that come with the iPhone.

If somebody could please upload that and post a link, or email it to d_luko@ yahoo .com, I would really appreciate that - thanks!

Last edited:

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
$5 PayPal if you can help

If somebody with an iPhone 4S on 5.0.1 can get me this folder, I am willing to PayPal you $5. I'm really desperate and need my phone for school and everything.

Last edited:

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Almost 400 views and no help..:( If somebody with an iPhone 4S on 5.0.1 can get me this folder, I am willing to PayPal you $5. I'm really desperate and need my phone for school and everything.

i have a regular 4 and an ipad2, so sorry

Pathfinder3

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Okinawa, JP
Edit: I will PayPal $5 to the first iPhone 4S owner on iOS 5.0.1 who can get me this folder - I really, really need to get my iPhone up and running!

My short story: I installed a BytaFont font update and the new version of that font caused my phone to go into an endless respring loop.
QUOTE]

Just manually enable SAFE mode by SSHing into your phone. Once you're logged in, enter the following command (without the quotation marks) "touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat". Go to Winterboard to respring, and you should see the sad iPhone image. Then either remove or reinstall BytaFont thru Cydia.

Last edited:

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
Edit: I will PayPal $5 to the first iPhone 4S owner on iOS 5.0.1 who can get me this folder - I really, really need to get my iPhone up and running!

Just manually enable SAFE mode by SSHing into your phone. Once you're logged in, enter the following command (without the quotation marks) "touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat". Go to Winterboard to respring, and you should see the sad iPhone image. Then either remove or reinstall BytaFont thru Cydia.

I can't do anything on the phone itself; it won't even boot up to the "slide to unlock" screen anymore, cuz I really messed up that Cache folder.

I appreciate any suggestions though! But I really think my only option is to get the complete Cache folder from a similar jailbroken device, or restore (which I'm not going to do; if anything, I'll track a jailbroken iPhone down from a friend eventually).

Pathfinder3, do you by chance have a jailbroken iPhone 4S, or maybe even an iPad 2 or iPhone 4? You have no idea how badly I want to fix my phone! haha

Pathfinder3

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Okinawa, JP
Initially you don't do anything on your phone. While it's doing it's bootloop thing, jump on CyberDuck or whatever SSH program you have on your computer to enter that command line.

Yes my iP4S is jailbroken. I'd email you that Cached folder, but I'm at work and my internet back at the tents are really crappy.

Last edited:

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
Initially you don't do anything on your phone. While it's doing it's bootloop thing, jump on CyberDuck or whatever SSH program you have on your computer to enter that command line.

Can I do that without being able to get the IP address off my phone? My phone's WiFi isn't turned on either and I'm pretty sure there are ways around that through a USB cable, but I think that would still require knowing the IP.

----------

How are you going to get the folder onto the iPhone if you can't boot it up?

Well, I guess it boots up but all I get is a black screen with the little white spinning thing in the middle. I can still navigate through the file system (and delete/copy/paste stuff) using i-FunBox.

Dipzb90

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Hi mate,

i've just downloaded you my System/Library/Fonts folder the cache folder and all of the other contents are inside i'm just uploading the zip file now. i'll post the link to it when its uploaded

----------

Well, I guess it boots up but all I get is a black screen with the little white spinning thing in the middle. I can still navigate through the file system (and delete/copy/paste stuff) using i-FunBox.

here you go mate, the link as promised good luck! let us know how you get on

http://www.filedropper.com/fonts_5

also if you wanted to ssh to your phone and didnt know the ip address just connect it to your pc and use iFunbox and use the ssh terminal option in there

Last edited:

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
Hi mate,

i've just downloaded you my System/Library/Fonts folder the cache folder and all of the other contents are inside i'm just uploading the zip file now. i'll post the link to it when its uploaded

----------

here you go mate, the link as promised good luck! let us know how you get on

http://www.filedropper.com/fonts_5

also if you wanted to ssh to your phone and didnt know the ip address just connect it to your pc and use iFunbox and use the ssh terminal option in there

Thanks for posting that, and I didn't realize how big the folder was so I guess it wasn't as quick and easy a task for you as I thought it would be.. unfortunately I'm still in the respring loop so I have no clue what my other options are other than restoring. :(

I'm not sure if I need to fix permissions on the new stuff I've pasted in or not, but I can't access permissions settings through i-FunBox because it says SSH is not detected (I didn't know i-FunBox even had this feature until you mentioned it; my version was out of date).

What device was that Fonts folder from, btw?

Dipzb90

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks for posting that, and I didn't realize how big the folder was so I guess it wasn't as quick and easy a task for you as I thought it would be.. unfortunately I'm still in the respring loop so I have no clue what my other options are other than restoring. :(

I'm not sure if I need to fix permissions on the new stuff I've pasted in or not, but I can't access permissions settings through i-FunBox because it says SSH is not detected (I didn't know i-FunBox even had this feature until you mentioned it; my version was out of date).

What device was that Fonts folder from, btw?

Hi mate, it was from a 4S also you can set the permission for the folders from iFunbox just right click and go to permissions should be 0755, but if it says cant access ssh then i'm a bit stumped

could try this?
after installing any cydia app that using a mobile substrates and get a respring loop, use ifunbox or any similar program to browse the idevice file system and navigate to library/mobile substrates and delete the .dylib and .plist which have the name of the app that you recently installed.
reboot your mobile and its done..

Last edited:

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
Hi mate, it was from a 4S also you can set the permission for the folders from iFunbox just right click and go to permissions should be 0755, but if it says cant access ssh then i'm a bit stumped

could try this?

When I right-click and choose 'Permissions', that's when it tells me it can't detect SSH; I assumed I had it installed, but maybe I didn't. I wonder if it will install if I put the Open SSH deb file in AutoInstall even though the phone won't boot fully.

If you can't tell yet, I'm not an expert at this stuff :)p), but my next guess would be that the permissions of the new Fonts folder are messed up. If I can get that working, maybe I still have a chance.

I will also look into your last suggestion. Thanks for trying to help - I really appreciate that. I can't stand the thought of using a non-jailbroken iPhone again after waiting for the A5 jailbreak for so long and spending so much time getting my phone the way I want it. I might end up having to do that.. but at least I'll have fun trying to figure this out if nothing else. :p

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Not sure if this would help, but a month ago I had the infinite re-spring and all I did was press Home + power for 10-15 seconds the phone went off, when I power the phone it went straight to safe mode I uninstalled the app and re-spring.

Not sure If I was doing it right but it worked. Good luck.

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
Not sure if this would help, but a month ago I had the infinite re-spring and all I did was press Home + power for 10-15 seconds the phone went off, when I power the phone it went straight to safe mode I uninstalled the app and re-spring.

I've tried the reset w/no luck. Sometimes it'll boot up, I can 'slide to unlock' and see my icons for a second or two, but it'll always respring again before I can do a single thing.

Sounds like you're stuck having to restore to 5.1

Might be.. but I'll do everything I can to try to avoid that. :S An iPhone isn't worth my money w/o a jailbreak.

ssh in if you can. go to mobilesubtrate folder. delete bytafont. problem solved. send me cash

I'll look into that. I figured BytaFont doesn't use MobileSubstrate though, or wouldn't it have just just put me into safe mode and allowed me to uninstall the bad font (like it should've been made to do!:mad:)?

alcohol120

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
I'll look into that. I figured BytaFont doesn't use MobileSubstrate though, or wouldn't it have just just put me into safe mode and allowed me to uninstall the bad font (like it should've been made to do!:mad:)?

it should work if you're able to access the phone with ifunbox or ssh, go to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and delete anything with bytafont in the name, should be two files

AnionicStrength

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
If you can ssh into the phone, you can use apt-get to manually uninstall. Ssh as root, then:

apt-get update

apt-get --purge remove com.ipr.bytafont

As long as your phone is respringing rather than rebooting, this will work perfectly.

Cheers...

Edit:
Just realized apt-get is no longer installed by default... never mind.

Last edited:

ryhno45

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
You could try iexplorer. (Mac Program)

Lets you use USB to access files on your phone.

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
it should work if you're able to access the phone with ifunbox or ssh, go to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and delete anything with bytafont in the name, should be two files

I'm not seeing anything for BytaFont in there.

You could try iexplorer. (Mac Program)

Lets you use USB to access files on your phone.

I'm using i-FunBox on a PC.

davidluko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Idaho
Welp, I'm all out of ideas, I give up..

Btw dipzb90, I can send you that $5 anyway if you give me your PayPal address. Might as well get yourself some lunch or something, ha.

Dipzb90

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Welp, I'm all out of ideas, I give up..

Btw dipzb90, I can send you that $5 anyway if you give me your PayPal address. Might as well get yourself some lunch or something, ha.

no thanks mate dont worry about it :) just happy to help but thanks for the offer

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house

I had this same issue when I was getting fancy with my phone and messed something up, I had to hard shut it down a few times before the endless loop stopped and went into safemode.

AnionicStrength

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
I knew there was a way to manually uninstall from the command line: dpkg.

SSH as root, then list the installed packages with dpkg.

dpkg -l

Look for the package identifier of BytaFont. It should be com.ipr.bytafont.

Then uninstall with:

dpkg -r com.ipr.bytafont

Restart the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.