Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
So here's the story. This guy hamzah posts an unlock on his blog.

Comments are all over the place, with some claiming it works and some claiming it doesn't, but I feel like nobody credible has actually tried the unlock yet to say if it works or not.

Sure, a lot of people are saying that theoretically it can't work for whatever reasons, yet there seems to be a lot of people saying they've successfully unlocked.

I came here to make an account at MacRumors because I know a lot of members here will be credible. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to whether or not this unlock solution works? Has anyone at this community actually tried it out and said that it doesn't work?

I'm just tired of reading bloggers with their BS "This may work but we haven't 100% confirmed it" and commenters who haven't actually tried it.

I would try it but I'm worried about jailbreaking. I'm actually selling an iPhone on eBay right now and it's on iOS 5.0.1 with baseband 4.11.08, and I'm worried that if I try this and it doesn't work I won't be able to revert back to this baseband/OS and if I try to sell the iPhone on iOS 5.1 with some even newer baseband it'll sell for a lot less.

If anyone can tell me how I could try this and revert back to what I have now (iOS 5.0.1 with baseband 4.11.08) I'd be more than happy to try this unlock solution because I have all the tools like the T-Mobile SIM with data and original AT&T SIM (if it works I'll cancel my eBay listing).

I just need some guidance.

Last edited:

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Look at the other links, He's telling people to erase their baseband.
Once your baseband is gone you are Fvvcked.

Abokokio

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
I've actually tried the procedure and it worked for me ever since. When I did it I was on 5.0.1 now I'm on 5.1 and surprisingly got the unlock without jailbreaking or had to use the original sim. I'm trying to post a snapshot of my iPhone, but didn't now how, to show you that I have a preserved bb with the 5.1. Another proof is my iPhone is 4 from Rogers and my carrier is Koodo now.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
yeah just don't whine to us when your iphone is totally jacked. Messing with the baseband is the one thing that can destroy a iphone besides phisical. I trust musclenerd more then some random joker. I also love when been come in today something is creditable.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I've actually tried the procedure and it worked for me ever since. When I did it I was on 5.0.1 now I'm on 5.1 and surprisingly got the unlock without jailbreaking or had to use the original sim. I'm trying to post a snapshot of my iPhone, but didn't now how, to show you that I have a preserved bb with the 5.1. Another proof is my iPhone is 4 from Rogers and my carrier is Koodo now.

canadians can buy their iphone unlocked via the online store, just like in the UK, so not sure your proof would be seen as valid.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
canadians can buy their iphone unlocked via the online store, just like in the UK, so not sure your proof would be seen as valid.

But if it was factory unlocked he wouldn't have had to go through the whole "unlocking" procedure. He would have noticed that it worked with the Koodo SIM.

I just think it's strange that musclenerd can say something (without even actually trying it) and everyone believes it and nobody even tries to confirm validity for themselves (true - I'm included in that group, but it's just interesting to see that this is how people behave).

Anyway, I don't need the question to this answer anymore. I bought an iPhone with a preserved baseband and Gevey SIM and I'll just run on that. I sold the iPhone on 4.11.08.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
well if a unlock/jailbrake guru like MN says its fake it has just a little more impact than someone who just joined the forum wouldn't you say?

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
But if it was factory unlocked he wouldn't have had to go through the whole "unlocking" procedure. He would have noticed that it worked with the Koodo SIM.

I just think it's strange that musclenerd can say something (without even actually trying it) and everyone believes it and nobody even tries to confirm validity for themselves (true - I'm included in that group, but it's just interesting to see that this is how people behave).

Anyway, I don't need the question to this answer anymore. I bought an iPhone with a preserved baseband and Gevey SIM and I'll just run on that. I sold the iPhone on 4.11.08.

I see what you are saying, but you also have to remember that there is a real possibility musclenerd knows much more about the guts of this issue than I bet most Apple iPhone dev's do (more holistic picture of the problem).

Feel free to try the process for yourself.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Because Muscle Nerd has a track record and reputation with the jailbreak community. We didn't just wake up one day and decide that anything Muscle Nerd says goes... its a result of years of actions that lead to credibility. This is usually how smart people in society behave (you listen to those who have a history of knowing what they are talking about)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.