Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack9034

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
I want to get a case for my 15" MacBook Pro. I do not want it to scratch it and I do not want it to brake or snap etc. What case is better? Incase 15" Hardshell Case or Speck SeeThru Satin Case for Macbook Pro 15" Aluminium Unibody in the Black color.

Thnks

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Better is in the eye of the beholder. I personally use a Speck case on my 15" MBP, and so far so good. I take care of the device, but it also travels with me almost weekly. It's still in near new shape after more than a year.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I haven't had any experience with Incase but I'm very happy with my Speck case. Just remember to remove it periodically to clean :D

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I like the Incase design for the bottom half more. Speck uses tabs that snap onto the back corners of the MBP and these are very small and and break very easily so when you go to pick it up from the front, it might fall off or at least wobble.
The Incase ones snap onto the bottom case below the black hinge. This is about 10 inches long so there's no chance if it just breaking off.

Other than that, the amount of protection from both is the same.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I use an Incase Perforated case on my 15" MBP. I also remove the case every two weeks and wipe down the MBP. So far, no scratches, nicks, dings, or dust accumulation. The shell fits well and looks great.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Get a MBP for its durable aluminum unibody construction, build quality and mouth watering design.

Then wrap your MBP in a butt ugly case. Ingenious!

Reactions: J_C_S

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Get a MBP for its durable aluminum unibody construction, build quality and mouth watering design.

So helpful. Some people prefer that their laptop stays in that condition.

zwodubber

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
PA

I don't even notice I have the Speck case on anymore... and it has saved numerous scratches to my MBP body. I clean it once or twice a month and it has kept the laptop looking flawless.

20120313_235955.jpg

20120313_235925.jpg

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
really? I would think if you have a case on it, the dirt will get underneath it and scratch it. I have a Powerbook and MBP, both have no scratches on it. Basically do rub it against any sharp objects. If you put it on a table, have it sit under your MB sleeve.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I don't even notice I have the Speck case on anymore... and it has saved numerous scratches to my MBP body. I clean it once or twice a month and it has kept the laptop looking flawless.

Looks butt ugly. Pointless if you ask me to encase it. You miss out on the joy of touching and looking at its marvelous design.

Why be afraid of getting a scratch on it when you permanently keep it enclosed in a case. Seriously? What does it matter if you are never able to enjoy your MBP for what it is.

Just stop so materialistic. You're only going to use it for a few years and then move on. Might as well get the full user experience. Otherwise just buy a $200 plastic netbook. Same thing.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Looks butt ugly. Pointless if you ask me to encase it. You miss out on the joy of touching and looking at its marvelous design.

Fine. everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Why be afraid of getting a scratch on it when you permanently keep it enclosed in a case. Seriously? What does it matter if you are never able to enjoy your MBP for what it is.

Resale vale for one.

Just stop so materialistic. You're only going to use it for a few years and then move on. Might as well get the full user experience. Otherwise just buy a $200 plastic netbook. Same thing.

Netbooks tend not to have 1440x900 screens or quad core i7 processors...

Cool story though bro...

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012

my macbook is mint and new for the past 6 onths thanks to this speck case.

i beg to differ

zwodubber

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
PA

So the experience of owning a mac is touching the outside cover? :roll eyes:

I use my laptop in many places where it sits on concrete, electrical controls, barrels or whatever is available. I can not imagine how crappy it would looks if I didn't have a case. Sure at home when not needed for a while it goes coverless on an Mstand or room to room.

Here are some of the places my MBP ends up

IMG_0871.jpg

Here it was on these buckets while doing thermal infrared imaging

IMG_0680.jpg

JandLmain2.jpg

Out testing 6000A switchgear and ends up on the floor when I need to change the meter settings

imag009.jpg

imag010.jpg

Go put your laptop through this without a case and let me know how it "feels in your hand" when it is scratched and scraped to hell. So a netbook has the performance and reliability of a mac? Your logic for owning a mac seems irrational, makes no sense and seems to be based on touching aluminum.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have Speck clear candy shell all round cases on my MBP 17" and my MBA 13" they keep my Macs totally scratch free, and just need taking off every month or so for a wipe around.

They are great cases, and worth the few extra $$

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

I use my laptop in many places where it sits on concrete, electrical controls, barrels or whatever is available. I can not imagine how crappy it would looks if I didn't have a case. Sure at home when not needed for a while it goes coverless on an Mstand or room to room.

Out testing 6000A switchgear and ends up on the floor when I need to change the meter settings

Go put your laptop through this without a case and let me know how it "feels in your hand" when it is scratched and scraped to hell.

But you don't have a case on it..

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I've got an Incase hardshell 'satin/soft touch' case in turquoise. I've had my Macbook Pro since last year of July and its been one of my favourite purchases. I cant count the number of times i've accident swung my laptop around and hit something while it was being pulled out or put into my laptop bag. There are always obstacles, but I'm pretty stoked to know that I can get a pretty awesome price on this laptop when I chose to sell it since there isnt a single scratch on it, it looks 99.99% brand new. (i use a usb keyboard and have an external monitor attached, so the laptops keyboard and trackpad are seldom used).

I both Speck and Incase are good. I don't know why anyone would prefer or swear by one over the other.

The only thing that bugs me is that the top lid cover, one of the little clips thats supposed to prevent the hardshell from unclipping, snapped off (top right). I can also tell that the bottom left one is slightly bent too much and will probably break off (the plastic has turned white). I can definitely attribute these faults to the fact that the lid was frequently put on and off. The bottom lid was easy, but the top one always gives me issues (i had the macbook sent in for repairs several times hence the failing clips). However, the lid still holds perfectly fine.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007

Go put your laptop through this without a case and let me know how it "feels in your hand" when it is scratched and scraped to hell. So a netbook has the performance and reliability of a mac? Your logic for owning a mac seems irrational, makes no sense and seems to be based on touching aluminum.

You are not even using a case. But more importantly why are you buying a macbook if you are using windows and in those environments. When you can just get a similar specced thinkpad that is much more durable, reliable and cheaper to boot.

You sir paid extra cash for nothing. And then you are even wasting more money on cases.

And yes touching aluminum is part of the user experience. Thats one of the main reasons why people buy a macbook. For its design and choice of materials Why should I wrap my macbook in a plastic or silicon case when I will never be able to use it to its fullest potential. Might as well get a similar specced HP Pavilion for $400.

Seriously a waste of money if you ask me.

----------

my macbook is mint and new for the past 6 onths thanks to this speck case.

i beg to differ

You are not enjoying your macbook to its fullest potential. And you are never going to use it to its fullest potential cause you always keep it in that plastic thing. So why bother buying it. A similar HP Pavilion functions and looks the same as your macbook and can be had for a third of the price.

So seriously why even bother buying a macbook. Whats the point? For reliability and durability you can get a similar specced thinkpad for cheaper. And any generic plastic notebook for even way cheaper than a thinkpad.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Another Speck user here, on two machines in fact: MBP13 (since ~Nov ’10) and a MBP15 (~3 months).

Both machines are using the “satin” style which gives it a nice soft touch surface that adds a little grip, and they’re semi translucent, so you see the lights through them. Aqua on the 15 and red on the 13.

The cutouts for the ports, the clips, everything has really tight tolerances and fits perfect.

They resist scratches, add some mild ding/dent protection, and if you’re into seeing the aluminum design, the whole interior is exposed (and the all the ports). I appreciate the aluminum design from a structural standpoint, so I don’t mind covering up the outer surfaces.

$29 from Amazon (Prime, free delivery).

I also run Windows on my machine :D

mrobit

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
You are not even using a case. But more importantly why are you buying a macbook if you are using windows and in those environments. When you can just get a similar specced thinkpad that is much more durable, reliable and cheaper to boot.

You sir paid extra cash for nothing. And then you are even wasting more money on cases.

And yes touching aluminum is part of the user experience. Thats one of the main reasons why people buy a macbook. For its design and choice of materials Why should I wrap my macbook in a plastic or silicon case when I will never be able to use it to its fullest potential. Might as well get a similar specced HP Pavilion for $400.

Seriously a waste of money if you ask me.

----------

You are not enjoying your macbook to its fullest potential. And you are never going to use it to its fullest potential cause you always keep it in that plastic thing. So why bother buying it. A similar HP Pavilion functions and looks the same as your macbook and can be had for a third of the price.

So seriously why even bother buying a macbook. Whats the point? For reliability and durability you can get a similar specced thinkpad for cheaper. And any generic plastic notebook for even way cheaper than a thinkpad.

Stop being condescending. The "user experience" is different to everybody. You can't dictate what the experience is for everybody.

Why is he running Windows on his MBP? Because he can. Some people use Windows for their business purposes and then OS X for everything else. You can't expect people to follow that one-track state of mind there.

You don't like cases? Fine. But don't talk to people like they're morons for purchasing one.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Stop being condescending. The "user experience" is different to everybody. You can't dictate what the experience is for everybody.

Why is he running Windows on his MBP? Because he can. Some people use Windows for their business purposes and then OS X for everything else. You can't expect people to follow that one-track state of mind there.

You don't like cases? Fine. But don't talk to people like they're morons for purchasing one.

No its the same. You are not going to tell me that wrapping your MBP in plastic is going to improve user experience for some people. I dont buy that

And I am sorry but I do think its moronic. These people are just a bunch of mindless materialistic consumers that are so afraid to get just a tiny little scratch on their precious little treasure. Its just a computer guys! And you are denying one of the macbooks greatest feature. You are never going to know what it is to use a macbook. Like I said before whats the difference with any generic plastic laptop

And btw there are millions macbooks users without cases or extended warranties or other nonsense things and they dont end up with busted up macbook. Its financially, ethically and environmentally just not sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.