Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:56 AM   #1
gamecube117
macrumors 6502

Can you develop pictures from an iPhone 4S?

Since the iPhone 4S has a great camera (better than some digital camera, I must say), I was wondering - can you "develop" pictures from it? Like go to Wal Mart and have it printed out? I'm not talking about printing out from a regular printer at home, but an actual photograph.

I'm looking for a new phone and a new camera, so if I'm able to go to a local Wal Mart and print pictures from my iPhone, then perfect! If not, I'll just buy two separate phone and camera. I just want to know if you can or not, if I have to transfer the iPhone 4S pictures to a USB cord and print it out, then that's fine, as long as I can get it printed.
gamecube117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
cyks
macrumors 68020

Yes, they're a high enough quality to be printed. The only problem would be getting the images to the printer since there's no memory card slot on the iPhone.

The easiest would be to transfer them to a flash drive or SD card at home and bring that in to have them printed off of.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:14 AM   #3
gwang73
macrumors regular

You can also email them to Walmart and pick them up in about an hour. Unfortunately, there's no way to hook up the iPhone to the printing kiosks and print right there.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecube117 View Post
Since the iPhone 4S has a great camera (better than some digital camera, I must say), I was wondering - can you "develop" pictures from it? Like go to Wal Mart and have it printed out? I'm not talking about printing out from a regular printer at home, but an actual photograph.

I'm looking for a new phone and a new camera, so if I'm able to go to a local Wal Mart and print pictures from my iPhone, then perfect! If not, I'll just buy two separate phone and camera. I just want to know if you can or not, if I have to transfer the iPhone 4S pictures to a USB cord and print it out, then that's fine, as long as I can get it printed.
Of course you can, why wouldn't you be able to? Since pretty much everywhere offers printing from flash drives, just toss them on one and bring it.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Small White Car
macrumors G4

You can also load them into iPhoto and order prints right from there.

Or upload them to Snapfish.com.

Both services will make prints and mail them to you. Not as fast as Wal Mart, but very convenient.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwang73 View Post
Unfortunately, there's no way to hook up the iPhone to the printing kiosks and print right there.
The iPhone presents itself as a standard digital camera/mass storage to Windows, so I presume with a USB -> dock cable and USB port it should connect directly just fine.

B
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:48 AM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
There's nothing about the iPhone's photos that prevents this. They're just the same as any other digital image.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
The iPhone presents itself as a standard digital camera/mass storage to Windows, so I presume with a USB -> dock cable and USB port it should connect directly just fine.

B
I've never tried it, but I suspect you're right. If Windows thinks the iPhone is a digital camera I'm sure those kiosks do too.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:58 AM   #9
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I've never tried it, but I suspect you're right. If Windows thinks the iPhone is a digital camera I'm sure those kiosks do too.
I have not tried it either, so YMMV. I do regularly pull pics off my iPhone connected to my Windows 7 box though...

B
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:05 AM   #10
danpass
macrumors 68020

yes. I've done 48 x 24 displays with 4S photos. Come out very nice, not perfect like a Phase One 80 megapixel medium format dSLR but great nonetheless.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:28 AM   #11
gamecube117
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
yes. I've done 48 x 24 displays with 4S photos. Come out very nice, not perfect like a Phase One 80 megapixel medium format dSLR but great nonetheless.
Would be better than my camera regardless! I have those digital cameras from Sony and I swear the iPhone shoots better quality!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Would be better than my camera regardless! I have those digital cameras from Sony and I swear the iPhone shoots better quality!
What Sony camera do you have? I have a Sony DSC-TX10 and the images that come out of its backside illuminated sensor is great. The older Sony camera's used a CCD sensor.
Tea-Aholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:08 AM   #13
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors 6502a

For those in the US, check out the Walgreens app. It's pretty amazing. You create a free account with them and then from the app you can select any picture on your phone or Photo Stream. You can then have it printed in any size and quantity you want. You select which store to retrieve your prints and select a time. That's it. Walk into the store and your prints are ready.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14
gamecube117
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Aholic View Post
What Sony camera do you have? I have a Sony DSC-TX10 and the images that come out of its backside illuminated sensor is great. The older Sony camera's used a CCD sensor.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W90

Key Features:
8.1 Megapixel
3 x Optical Zoom
2.5 in LCD Display
Video Capture
Face Detection

Is it a good camera? I mean, I've had it for five years. It has 8.1MP, more than Apple. But which camera is better?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone