Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Aww, I was hoping for at least a minimal speed bump (10% or so) ... :(

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Would have been nice, but I was happy enough with the iPad 2's speed so I won't let it get me down. The screen alone will be enough to make up for it.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
The OS runs smooth as silk and the battery life remains 10 hours, I'm happy. As a geek, I'd like a CPU bump but it's not important.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S (64GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why? I've you've ever owned a desktop PC and upgraded it every now and then you'll know that CPU bumps rarely result in a "faster" experience. However RAM upgrades to some degree does bring improvements while GPU improvements can make an old PC feel like a new console.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
iPad 2 is already really fast, 3rd gen iPad doubled the screen resolution and kept the same performance and battery life. Impressive IMO.

Also what's important and good here is that the RAM has increased to 1GB, now that will make a difference in everyday usage.

I hope the next iPhone will have 1GB too.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I'm glad I'm sticking with my iPad 2. For iPad 1 owners this will be a big upgrade. With iPad 2 owners this seems like a minor update.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

homeboy said:

Why? I've you've ever owned a desktop PC and upgraded it every now and then you'll know that CPU bumps rarely result in a "faster" experience. However RAM upgrades to some degree does bring improvements while GPU improvements can make an old PC feel like a new console.

Right, but I don't recall ever upgrading to a next-generation computer without seeing a boost in clock speed.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
This disappoints me because I was planning on putting a bunch of HD .mkv files onto my iPad3. 3rd party media players on the iPad can't utilize the GPU, only the CPU. They ran like crap on my iPad1, I haven't tried it on an iPad2 though, so hopefully the iPad3 is good enough to play 1080p mkv files. Converting/demuxing is a bit of a hassle, but I guess that's what I'll do if need be.

Alectric

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
No minor update here. The 3.1 million pixels packed into a 9.7 inch screen is definitely not anything minor. All other improvements are just a plus.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The RAM upgrade mattered more to me. iPad 2 seemed plenty fast with the dual core proc. And I thought we all learned by now spec sheets don't matter (I'll make an exception for display specs ;) )

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London

Right, but I don't recall ever upgrading to a next-generation computer without seeing a boost in clock speed.

It's natural to increase clock speed in order to make sure that the computer doesn't have a bottle neck. However areas weigh more like CPU architecture, hyper threading etc.

If you increase your computer's clock speed by 0.5Ghz web pages won't load faster than before and neither will most applications. The few areas where CPU muscle really count is unzipping, image editing and video encoding.

But for 80% of what most people do on the computer i.e browsing, word processing, listening to music and playing games a CPU increase won't change much unless the device is slow, which the iPad 2 isn't.

However eveything can always be better and I wouldn't mind if apps on the iPad 3 loaded much faster than on the iPad 2. :D

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Guys this is a great thing. Wait, hear me out.

We can now how apps/games that equally well between the iPad 2&3, except the 3 can be high res all taken care of by the GPU. This will prevent early fragmentation. We dont need developers making three level of hardware optimisations for apps.

So for iPad 1 a game can run well. For iPad 2 you get those extra details, poly, effects etc. for iPad 3 you get the exact same app/game as for iPad 2 but its just higher res.

Apple may be establishing once every 2 yrs CPU update. The A4-A5 was significant so we should expect the same big jump between A5-A6.

Personally even as an iPad 3 to be user, Im pleased its where it is, it means we all get better developer support and iPad 2 people wont be left out so early in the game.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Guys this is a great thing. Wait, hear me out.

We can now how apps/games that equally well between the iPad 2&3, except the 3 can be high res all taken care of by the GPU. This will prevent early fragmentation. We dont need developers making three level of hardware optimisations for apps.

So for iPad 1 a game can run well. For iPad 2 you get those extra details, poly, effects etc. for iPad 3 you get the exact same app/game as for iPad 2 but its just higher res.

Apple may be establishing once every 2 yrs CPU update. The A4-A5 was significant so we should expect the same big jump between A5-A6.

Personally even as an iPad 3 to be user, Im pleased its where it is, it means we all get better developer support and iPad 2 people wont be left out so early in the game.

Exactly. The ipad3 will have the power of the ipad2 but then completly retina sized.
Personally its a bit let down because i also hoped for better cpu/gpu.
But i guess its okay together with the better camera.
Now we know this i must say its not a that big update.

----------

1gb RAM is all it matters

It will be used by the retina display i think...just as quad graphics...
Dont expect better quality games. Just retinasized games;)

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Take it from a longtime android to apple convert.

You don't need the cpu bump. Are we sure the cpu is identical? No change in efficiency or architecture?

The ipad2 ran incredibly smooth, how could it have ran better? Honestly....yes a cpu bump might help a "third party" video player...but apple doesn't give a damn about that. They have itunes, they want your money, etc. The ipad 2 runs smoother than any current tablet on the market.

The geek in me will never die, so while in best buy the other day, I tried auto the transformer prime. You know, the earth shatter quad core tablet that asus has been released (with quality control issue btw). The tablet ran way better than the galaxy tab 10.1 I owned for a short while, but it still lagged. It still had the sluggishness in the homescreen, and in the UI interface characteristic of android. The same can be said for googles new flag ship phone (galaxy nexus). Android is a long, long way away (if ever) to running as smooth as iOS, or ever windows phone 7. But, if you are looking to do stuff like third party movie players, etc...android might be your best bet.

Android is where you can brag about major updates in hardware, that is accompanied by minor performance gains in software.

Not to mention that apple releases amazing hardware, and the IPad 3 is arguably (though not tested yet) a better performer than anything android has to offer, or will in the near future.

I am quite happy with the new iPAD. The screen alone will be amazing, and the upgrade in ram will do wonders.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Take it from a longtime android to apple convert.

You don't need the cpu bump. Are we sure the cpu is identical? No change in efficiency or architecture?

The ipad2 ran incredibly smooth, how could it have ran better? Honestly....yes a cpu bump might help a "third party" video player...but apple doesn't give a damn about that. They have itunes, they want your money, etc. The ipad 2 runs smoother than any current tablet on the market.

The geek in me will never die, so while in best buy the other day, I tried auto the transformer prime. You know, the earth shatter quad core tablet that asus has been released (with quality control issue btw). The tablet ran way better than the galaxy tab 10.1 I owned for a short while, but it still lagged. It still had the sluggishness in the homescreen, and in the UI interface characteristic of android. The same can be said for googles new flag ship phone (galaxy nexus). Android is a long, long way away (if ever) to running as smooth as iOS, or ever windows phone 7. But, if you are looking to do stuff like third party movie players, etc...android might be your best bet.

Android is where you can brag about major updates in hardware, that is accompanied by minor performance gains in software.

Not to mention that apple releases amazing hardware, and the IPad 3 is arguably (though not tested yet) a better performer than anything android has to offer, or will in the near future.

I am quite happy with the new iPAD. The screen alone will be amazing, and the upgrade in ram will do wonders.

You can stuff a octocore proc in an Android tab and you will still experience UI lag at some point. It will forever be that way until the Android OS is completely re-written. There was an article a couple months ago about OS prioritization. The way iOS and Android prioritize GUI and processes is the opposite or something like that. It's why iOS UI is butter smooth and on every Android device, there is some sort of lag at some point whether the UI, using an app, etc.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This disappoints me because I was planning on putting a bunch of HD .mkv files onto my iPad3. 3rd party media players on the iPad can't utilize the GPU, only the CPU. They ran like crap on my iPad1, I haven't tried it on an iPad2 though, so hopefully the iPad3 is good enough to play 1080p mkv files. Converting/demuxing is a bit of a hassle, but I guess that's what I'll do if need be.

Or you could buy them all off the iTunes store! I'm sure those will work great. :rolleyes:

SARCASM ALERT!!!

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Clock speed doesn't really mean much these days. A 2.5Ghz i7 CPU is *significantly* faster than a 2.5Ghz i5, for example. My wife's 2.4Ghz iMac easily out performs my (rather old) 3Ghz Mac Pro at most general purpose tasks (but not video encoding).

Mhz is a measurements of CPU cycles, *not* a measurement of how much is actually done during each of those cycles. You could measure in MIPS (millions of instructions per second), but that depends on the task that the CPU is doing.

The A5X may have other tweaks we dont know about yet - such as memory bandwidth or additional instructions, all of which could make a huge difference to performance, one way or another.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
1GB RAM was pretty much a given, but it's nice to see it more or less confirmed.

Hopefully this will finally fix Safari's freakin' terrible memory- particularly bad when you write a verbose forum post, open up another tab to check your facts and come back to find the forum tab auto-refreshes and loses everything.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
... particularly bad when you write a verbose forum post, open up another tab to check your facts and come back to find the forum tab auto-refreshes and loses everything.

I HATE it when this happens! :mad: I've gotten into the habit of copying my text to have it available to paste back. I've lost soooo many good posts... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.