Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
OK so I bought a 2003 MDD off eBay, quite a while ago now in fact, it's something like last G4 model released that was also able to boot OS 9 since it had Firewire 400. If you have one of these, when you bought it did it come with a monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Mine hasn't, which is fine since I knew it didn't when I bought it, but at the time of buying I did ask but the guy couldn't remember what the thing came with when he got it since he "had bought so many Macs over the years" and I can't really locate the information on the net. I would like to get a monitor for the Mac and obviously a keyboard/mouse but, would like to get original stuff it came with, if it indeed did come with anything as standard. I've looked into this before but not really come up with definitive answers so maybe now I can finally get it sorted.

So if it did, and you do have these, or at least have the information to hand, could you do me a massive favour and tell me what the apple part numbers are for the monitor/keyboard/mouse? I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing if anything it probably came with a 15" LCD display and maybe the bog standard black Apple pro keyboard and mouse but either way if you could chuck me the part numbers on these I can get the exact models.

I know it's a bit over-the-top but I like having original equipment to hand just so I can say "I own the complete package".

Last edited:

92WardSenatorFE

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
USA
If you have one at or below 1.25GHz (built on or before Jan. 2003), It would have came with the Apple Pro Mouse (black) M5769 and the Apple Pro Keyboard (black) M7803. If I am correct, the white keyboards were not offered until several months after the discontinuation of the MDD that you have.

If it is 1.25 GHz (built after Jan. 2003) it would have probably came with the white Apple mouse & keyboard (M5769 & A1048 respectively).

As for displays, it would have probably been ordered with a 17" Studio Display. The 15" was discontinued in Oct. 2002.

In my experience, I found the older black Pro keyboards to be kind of clunky and never really found one in decent shape, so I ended up getting the white mouse & keyboard for my iMac G4 (matches better as well). The white Apple keyboard and mouse was produced all the way up until 2007 as well, so you would probably have a better chance of finding one of those in better condition.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for the info. I agree the white keyboard/mouse would go better, and my MDD is the single 1.25GHz model they released in June 2003, so after the A1048 was released (supposedly in May 2003). Although I'm still a bit perplexed really.

Last edited:

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
UK. Though too late, I bought one the other night. Thanks for the offer though.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
That's ok. I actually ended up getting a 23" Cinema HD display for it instead. Seems like as far as I can tell it did not come with the Mac per se, you had to buy it separately. There's actually an Apple spec page with all three available monitors of that time located here. The options were the 17" Studio Display (M7649ZM/B), the 20" Cinema Display (M8893ZM/A) or the 23" Cinema HD Display (M8537ZM/A). So I figured why skimp and was lucky enough to find the 23" floating around at a sort of reasonable price. Looks quite nice I must admit.

Anyway going back to the keyboard, I'm still at a loss here really. I mean, you'd think that with the A1048 being released in May that it would have come with the June MDD but I can't find any real evidence to support this - I have found images of MDD with that keyboard but I've also found images on sites stating it to be the June 2003 MDD and it's shown with a white Apple Pro keyboard, not the redesigned A1048.

There's also the fact that the A1048 system requirements are OS X (10.2 or later I believe). I know the A1048 does work in OS 9 but the eject button doesn't work, and probably the volume keys. Since the June 2003 MDD was capable of booting OS 9 and was sold as a dual boot system in some cases does that have any bearing on what keyboard Apple would have shipped with it? I mean, would they knowingly provide the new Apple Keyboard with the system if they knew that the system was likely to be used by people who wanted to boot OS 9, even though the new keyboard wasn't fully supported by it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.