Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:13 PM   #51
fxtech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Yet another reason to hate Samsung.
Sure, hate the company reportedly supplying those "Retina" displays for your beloved iPad 3 you probably ordered. That makes sense.
fxtech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:14 PM   #52
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Why is a choice in screen size okay for MBAs and MBPs, but not for iPads?

Last edited by LaWally; Mar 13, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
LaWally is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:15 PM   #53
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinDoc View Post
Apple is going to be furious about this leak. I remember a similar leak that cost a certain graphics card manufacturer the contract for supplying the graphics cards for MacBook Pros and iMacs.
Differences is a slightly more sane man is running Apple.
Rodimus Prime is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:16 PM   #54
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Couldn't this guy get busted for insider trading if he decided to sell/buy some stock ?
Obviously not, since he just gave away the information. It is "insider trading" if you know something that others don't. That's why MacRumors would never be in trouble with the SEC as long as they publish everything they find out so that everybody can read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWally View Post
Why are so many people convinced a smaller iPad is a bad idea? Even Apple sells MBAs and MBPs with different screen sizes and I've never heard anyone suggest that is a bad idea?
If you read my posts, they are mostly complaining about Digitimes, which just makes things up. Obviously if you make up enough things then from time to time there will be things that you get right. The other complaint is about arguments _why_ Apple would create an iPad with a smaller screen, which are mostly not very logical. The main argument is the success of the Kindle Fire, but then the device is really cheap, so Amazon has to sell 2.5 to 4 Kindles to have the same revenue that Apple has with one iPad. So I have no doubt that Apple would sell more iPads if there was a 7.85" iPad, but the question is whether there would be more revenue and more profit.

Last edited by gnasher729; Mar 13, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:16 PM   #55
tonytiger13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinu View Post
More freedom of choice, not good? wtf
He was looking from the business side. But the freedom of choice comes from different manufacturers. If people want a single business to succeed, they won't saturate the market and confuse consumers with too many different form factors and sizes. Apple made 3 laptop lines at one point, but quickly cut that back to just 2. Name all of Dell's, HP's, or Acer's lines (hint: they have a lot). Not saying it's bad, but Dell and HP recently announced they may have to exit the consumer PC market.

Point is, we as consumers want choice, but we want good companies to succeed so we should also want them to have good business plans. Also, this helps all economies, which means we get more money to spend.
tonytiger13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #56
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
It's funny: Samsung, one of Apple's greatest tablet competitors, is claiming Apple is following in Samsung's footsteps!

Sounds like they want us to buy Samsung tablets now, since they're the iPad of the future...
Actually this rumor may work against Samsung's best interests as all those people who are hoping for a smaller iPad and were about to purchase another brand may now decide to wait for the smaller iPad. That is, if it ever comes.

I don't want it!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #57
gglockner
macrumors 6502

Yes, any day now, Apple will have a 7" iPad, a television set, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and maybe a new Mac Pro.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #58
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglockner View Post
Yes, any day now, Apple will have a 7" iPad, a television set, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and maybe a new Mac Pro.
you had me until "a new Mac Pro".
LaWally is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #59
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglockner View Post
What about a 7" Tv and 7" iPhone abd 7" MBAir also.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #60
KingJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinu View Post
More freedom of choice, not good? wtf
KISS principle. Look it up
KingJosh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:23 PM   #61
Xtremehkr
macrumors 68000

Is there really a need for a slightly smaller iPad? This still doesn't make much sense to me, it would require additional production facilities, design and parts for an iPad that people would probably overlook in favor of the regular sized iPad.

Samsung seem to spend all of their time trying to anticipate what Apple is doing so that they can get their copycat product on the market as quickly as possible.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:23 PM   #62
9secondadidas
macrumors member

I wish they would..

If they came out with a smaller form factor ipad that I could comfortably hold with one hand I'd be 1st in line to buy one.

I doubt it will happen though.
9secondadidas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #63
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
KISS principle. Look it up
Look what up? By this argument, there should only be one screen size for the MBAs and MBPs.
LaWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #64
shawnce
macrumors 65816

....or just maybe...

....or this smaller "iPad" may actually be the basis for a remote for a real Apple TV while also being a fully capable smaller iPad (using the width/height pixel count of the iPad1/2 but with retina scaling).
shawnce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #65
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
smaller ipad = kindle fire competitor
Exactly. They need to compete better on price, even if the lesser priced model isn't the focus of the iPad line. Introduce a $299 model that after a year can run for $199.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:31 PM   #66
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

I really want a 7" iPad, but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:31 PM   #67
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post
Exactly. They need to compete better on price, even if the lesser priced model isn't the focus of the iPad line. Introduce a $299 model that after a year can run for $199.
Well, if Apple was really motivated to extinguish the Fire, this would be the way to do it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:33 PM   #68
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post
In which way would that benefit Apple? Amazon is selling the Kindle Fire almost exactly at cost, while Apple makes a very decent amount of money from every iPad sale. Why would Apple even _want_ to compete with Amazon on price? They certainly don't _need_ to.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:33 PM   #69
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash84x View Post
As a develolper I hope not, unless they maintain the 1024x768 resolution it is going to cause fragmentation in UI requirements. As a user I really don't care, I don't see myself wanting smaller than 9.7", it is the perfect size IMO.
It's a little large for reading while standing on a full NYC subway. For me the iPad is okay, but I'm also larger than most people. I see many more kindles in my daily commute than iPads (there might also be the theft concern keeping folks from flashing their iPads too often). I read on my iPad on the subway all the time, but I've been considering carrying a cheap Kindle that I could easily slip out of a coat pocket and more comfortably hold one handed while I hold onto a railing with my other hand. I'd end up carrying both products, but the kindle is so light I suspect I wouldn't notice the extra weight.

Jobs was wrong when he said that a 7" size was unworkable. It may not be ideal, but it can be made to work.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #70
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
smaller ipad = kindle fire competitor
Apple doesn't need to compete in the 'e-reader' segment.

They are doing just fine with the iPad...which is a full fledged tablet. Not some half-@ssed e-reader/webbrowser with limited app capability.

The 7" is going to be the REMOTE/INTERFACE for the Apple TV

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
In which way would that benefit Apple? Amazon is selling the Kindle Fire almost exactly at cost, while Apple makes a very decent amount of money from every iPad sale. Why would Apple even _want_ to compete with Amazon on price? They certainly don't _need_ to.
They wouldn't. You are right.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #71
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Well. Samsung would definitely know this. After all they are the ones who produce LCD panels for iPad 3 (and probably the smaller version too).
I can't believe Samsung would risk millions of dollars of business by giving out highly sensitive information.
tekno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #72
six2pel
macrumors newbie

This guy is a real genius!

Doesn't he know that suppliers have lost huge Apple contracts over rumors like that.

Anonymous.....for now!
six2pel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:37 PM   #73
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

I like the current size screen (although I would like a smaller bezel for a smaller device), but I know some people would like something smaller.

7.85" is really 8" rather than 7", and should be OK as a tablet. It isn't a replacement for the current size, it is an additional model.

The iPod line expanded to multiple models to cover different needs. The iPad might be ready for the same.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:38 PM   #74
Virtualball
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Yeah...

OMG! I've never seen a person give a presentation before!

Idiot.
Virtualball is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:39 PM   #75
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremehkr View Post
Is there really a need for a slightly smaller iPad? This still doesn't make much sense to me, it would require additional production facilities, design and parts for an iPad that people would probably overlook in favor of the regular sized iPad.
Yes, it requires all that, but considering it would be a many millions of units a year seller there is enough volume to justify the upfront costs. I think it is a useful size. Being able to carry the product in a coat pocket or a small purse would mean the product would be carried with a person more often. An iPad of any size that is with you is more useful than the one left at home.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion