Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

camerapluslogo-150x153.jpg

Camera+, the top-selling non-game app for the iPhone, has received a major update adding a number of new features.

The app, which has sold more than 7 million copies, is a full-featured replacement for the standard Camera app that comes with the iPhone. It includes a plethora of options for editing and sharing pictures, as well as a variety of different shooting modes. Amongst the new features:

- Dramatically improved sharing

There are two main improvements here... The first is that you can now share to multiple services, or even multiple accounts on the same service, all at the same time. The second big thing that you'll notice with sharing is the increase in speed. It's now faster than ever to share your photos online.

- Workflows

Sometimes you want to shoot a bunch of pics in a row without having to think about things like editing and sharing. And sometimes you want to do just the opposite and edit and share each pic you take, right after you take it. Workflows easily provide you with the flexibility to do it either way.

- Focus & exposure locks

Now you can lock the focus and exposure of the camera, independently of each other. Photographers looking for the utmost flexibility in shooting will love this new feature because it enables all kinds of creative ways of taking awesome shots.

- APIs

We've created a few comprehensive APIs for Camera+. These APIs enable people to integrate Camera+ into other apps and to create web services that make use of the many, many photos that have been shared by Camera+ users.

Several prominent developers have already integrated Camera+ into their apps via these new APIs. Check-out the WordPress, Tweetbot, Twitterrific, Foodspotting, and Twittelator Neue apps in the App Store to see these APIs in action.

And to get all the details on how the APIs work, visit api.camerapl.us
cameraplusscreen.jpg

The update is free for current Camera+ owners or it is currently on sale for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Camera+ App Updated With New Sharing, Shooting Modes, and Extensive APIs

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
After iOS5 came out, with camera access from the lock screen (and volume-butter shutter), I don't really understand the point of another another camera app to take pictures. There's no way it can launch faster than the native app, and since it's using the same optics and processor, it can't technically take better pictures.

having said that, i do use camera + (and other photo apps) to edit pictures after i've taken them. but with the default photos app now having basic editing features, that's happening less and less.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Also, related to these news: Tweetbot 2.1 has just been released! What's the relation? Camera+ 3 supports posting to Twitter via Tweetbot. That's one nice combo of apps. Both very high quality in my opinion.

With the release of Taptaptap’s Camera+ 3.0, you can now use Cam+ to edit or take photos for Tweetbot. If you have Cam+ 3.0 installed on your device, there will be new options when you are in the menu to add an image to a tweet.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
This update removed the flower icon that let you choose a pic from your gallery.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I'd use the default camera app if it allowed me to choose my brightness rather than couple it with focus function.

Till then I'll keep my camera+

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
After iOS5 came out, with camera access from the lock screen (and volume-butter shutter), I don't really understand the point of another another camera app to take pictures. There's no way it can launch faster than the native app, and since it's using the same optics and processor, it can't technically take better pictures.
I don't know about on the iPhone or iPad, but on my 4th gen iPod touch this is very much not the case. I can swipe to unlock and then tap to open Camera+ in less time than it takes the Camera app to open through the lock screen button, particularly if I have to toggle it from movie mode to picture mode which takes forever. Plus the actual taking of pictures is still much faster in Camera+. I can take two or three shots in the time it takes the camera app to take one.

It would be nice if Apple would work to speed up their own camera app to match the speed of Camera+, but until they do, I'll be using Camera+. Also the new ability to set focus and exposure separately is a must-have feature in my book. I don't use much of Camera+'s editing as I prefer Snapseed, but for taking pictures I don't use anything else unless I have to shoot movies.

damager

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
London, UK
This update removed the flower icon that let you choose a pic from your gallery.

There is now a + button in the top bar of the Lightbox which takes you to the built-in Photos list (Camera Roll, Photo Stream etc) from which you can import photos. The wording in the Lightbox window needs changing to reflect this.

climberfx

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Separeted Focus + Exposure.

having said that, i do use camera + (and other photo apps) to edit pictures after i've taken them. but with the default photos app now having basic editing features, that's happening less and less.

I think the Tittle subject show to you one and the most important advantages of Camera+. Try to do it in the original camera app. :)

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
It now correctly tags photos as taken on an "iPhone 4S". New version has been highly optimized and taking full resolutions snaps is much quicker, photos are saved much quicker to the device. Also saving to the camera-roll now happens in the background even if you exit the app.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

While not as quick to get to, Camera+ takes photos considerably faster than Camera.app. And shooting features such as burst, timer, stabilize, and exposure can be very handy.

That said, 3.0 is a bit underwhelming upgrade. While new import UI and improved clarity filter are all nice to have, the app is still missing video recording, straighten tool, and adjustable filters/effects.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
...the app is still missing video recording, straighten tool, and adjustable filters/effects.

Yeah! So to call it "is a full-featured replacement for the standard Camera app" as MacRumors have, is just plain wrong. The Camera app does video. Camera+ does not, therefore it is not a replacement for the Camera app.

I love Camera+, but it bugs me no end having to switch apps if I decide to do video too. Consequently, I find I more often than not just use the Camera app.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
After iOS5 came out, with camera access from the lock screen (and volume-butter shutter), I don't really understand the point of another another camera app to take pictures.

I somewhat agree. I call it "having an android moment". I have one android moment about every 6 months.

Ashlyn

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
San Francisco
ProCamera is the camera app to go!

ProCamera has all the features of Camera+ and more. It’s a high-end app, great for professionals, and also easy to use for people like me who want to advance the skills. I can set focus and exposure on different objects. So easy. It takes exceptional pictures. Then apply filters, lighting and other adjustments. On top of that you can shoot videos and zoom videos while recording.
It’s worth it. German engineered, rigorous while artistic. I am glad that I didn’t waste money to try many other camera apps!

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
Camera+ integration

My universal photo & video transfer app Scotty now integrates with Camera+ via the new API. Scotty makes it super easy to transfer photos from the Camera+ Lightbox to another iOS device or to a Mac.
This eliminates the need to save your Camera+ Lightbox photos to the Camera Roll in order to transfer them.
On top of that Scotty is now on sale ($0.99 i.s.o. $2.99) for a limited time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.