Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
If you're looking at Ipad 2 cases for your 3rd gen Ipad, pay attention at 2:25 in the now famous Vietnamese unboxing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCm_ggEhPQ&feature=player_embedded

You'll clearly note that the Ipad 2 lens is smaller and - while aligned closer to the right side of the power button - doesn't extend past it. On the "New Ipad", the lens hole is larger and it's alignment extends past the edge of the power button. So even if some vendors are saying that their cases have enough give to deal with the minutely thicker case of the new model, it looks like there's probably going to be issues with camera alignment with the holes in the cases.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
If you're looking at Ipad 2 cases for your 3rd gen Ipad, pay attention at 2:25 in the now famous Vietnamese unboxing video:

You'll clearly note that the Ipad 2 lens is smaller and - while aligned closer to the right side of the power button - doesn't extend past it. On the "New Ipad", the lens hole is larger and it's alignment extends past the edge of the power button. So even if some vendors are saying that their cases have enough give to deal with the minutely thicker case of the new model, it looks like there's probably going to be issues with camera alignment with the holes in the cases.

Usually cases give about 1/8" all around for the camera hole. If the anchor point / center point is the same then I think it will barely fit with less empty space.

Most companies don't care about this, but I have a feeling with Apple's attention to detail, they kept the center point the same for this reason.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

I have (er, had as I returned it) a Marware case SUPPOSEDLY for the iPad 3. With my iPad 2 in it The camera of the iPad 2 perfectly aligned & centered with the one on the "alleged" iPad 3 case. It MAY be the new "slant" of the edges of the 3 make it look as if the camera is in a different location but it is in the same spot. If that is not the case then Marware is shipping iPad 2 cases marked as iPad 3 cases. I would expect that from some of the eBay & Amazon sellers but not from Marware.

Edit: Pausing the video and taking a rough measurement from the edge of BOTH iPads to the center of the camera it is virtually identical. I think the different slant of the edge is creating an illusion. The camera itself is definitely larger.

DarkAether

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Usually cases give about 1/8" all around for the camera hole. If the anchor point / center point is the same then I think it will barely fit with less empty space.

Most companies don't care about this, but I have a feeling with Apple's attention to detail, they kept the center point the same for this reason.

Apple has never shown any hesitation to tweak their designs in such a way that requires accessory makers and owners scrambling for redesigned products. As I posted in another thread....

...this theory kind of falls apart when you consider all the slight changes in the wheel based IPods over the years which required changes in cases generation to generation and even more recently the slight shifting in the location of the mute & volume buttons between the original AT&T IPhone 4 to the Verizon IPhone 4 (and now the 4S).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.