Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Made in Vietnam?

I picked up a new iPod shuffle from Amazon the other day and my earbuds are labeled "Vietnam" where all others I've ever had were labeled "China". Has anyone else ever seen this? In what other countries beside Vietnam and China are earbuds made? This has got me curious... I have never seen an Apple product made in Vietnam. I have heard that Apple plans to open a facility in Brazil in the future.

Last edited by myrtlebee; Mar 14, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
myrtlebee is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
myrtlebee
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
457 thread views and crickets chirping - is it possible I have a one-of-a-kind set of earbuds? lol
myrtlebee is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Post a photo.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is online now   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4
myrtlebee
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Post a photo.
The only camera I have is my iSight on my 2009 13 inch MBP- it's not capturing the tiny writing (it's light gray on even lighter gray and about a mm in height). There's not much to see, just the word Vietnam, unless you simply don't believe me. In which case I don't care, but I will post a picture tomorrow if I'm able to borrow another camera. I don't believe there is no one else out there with Vietnamese earbuds...
myrtlebee is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Macman756
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to Macman756
I don't think it matters.
Macman756 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6
chrispfeiffer21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
I have earphones that have been manufactured in Vietnam, they came with my iPod Shuffle as well, so you are not alone they work very well
chrispfeiffer21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
myrtlebee
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman756 View Post
I don't think it matters.
Good for you. Thanks for this enlightening input...


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispfeiffer21 View Post
I have earphones that have been manufactured in Vietnam, they came with my iPod Shuffle as well, so you are not alone they work very well
Yes, another one! Apparently we've got something pretty rare on our hands . Mine work great, too. Well.... guess I don't have to post a pic to prove myself and the thread can die since I now know a factory wasn't opened for the sole purpose of producing my set of earbuds Still semi-curious if there are any Brazillian earbuds through...
myrtlebee is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:38 AM   #8
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I have never seen an Apple product made in Vietnam. I have heard that Apple plans to open a facility in Brazil in the future.
Not that it matters, but technically Apple doesn't have any factories. They contract out the manufacture of all of their hardware. As for the Brazilian factory, it's a Foxconn factory to make iPhones ... and it's already opened. I think, initially, the iPhones from Brazil are sold in Brazil (something to do with import taxes in Brazil being crazy high).

As for the earbuds, I suspect that they go with whichever manufacturer that will give them the lowest price at an acceptable quality level. Don't be surprised if you get a set of earbuds from Mexico or Guatemala eventually. Factories will open up whereever you get a conditions that favor manufacturing ... typically, low cost labor, reasonably easy access to key components, political/financial incentives, etc.
__________________
Flickr
ftaok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:55 AM   #9
myrtlebee
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
Not that it matters, but technically Apple doesn't have any factories.
Without going into technicalities, that's what I meant. I tried to keep it as simple as possible to get to my point. I know about Foxconn. I also know that individual components are made by other companies, Samsung and LG for iPad, for example. The fact that the Brazilian factory produces iPhones (did not know it was in active production, though) doesn't exclude them from manufacturing earbuds.
myrtlebee is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Without going into technicalities, that's what I meant. I tried to keep it as simple as possible to get to my point. I know about Foxconn. I also know that individual components are made by other companies, Samsung and LG for iPad, for example. The fact that the Brazilian factory produces iPhones (did not know it was in active production, though) doesn't exclude them from manufacturing earbuds.
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Incidentally, I just did a quick Google search and it turns out (according to Wikipedia) that all Apple earbuds are manufactured by Fostex, a Japanese company. The wiki doesn't say too much about their manufacturing, but their website talks about the manufacture of their professional equipment. I think they used to make their pro gear in Japan, but there's a paragraph that they now design the gear for manufacture in China.

I'm guessing that earbuds don't fall into their pro line of gear. I guess they saw an opportunity to make the earbuds more cost effectively by doing so in Vietnam.
__________________
Flickr
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:53 PM   #11
myrtlebee
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Incidentally, I just did a quick Google search and it turns out (according to Wikipedia) that all Apple earbuds are manufactured by Fostex, a Japanese company. The wiki doesn't say too much about their manufacturing, but their website talks about the manufacture of their professional equipment. I think they used to make their pro gear in Japan, but there's a paragraph that they now design the gear for manufacture in China.

I'm guessing that earbuds don't fall into their pro line of gear. I guess they saw an opportunity to make the earbuds more cost effectively by doing so in Vietnam.
Thanks for the info. I guess it makes me totally nerdy to be interested in something as mundane as this.... but hey, it's MacRumors - nerds allowed.
myrtlebee is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 04:00 AM   #12
japonska.cesnja
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I picked up a new iPod shuffle from Amazon the other day and my earbuds are labeled "Vietnam" where all others I've ever had were labeled "China". Has anyone else ever seen this? In what other countries beside Vietnam and China are earbuds made? This has got me curious... I have never seen an Apple product made in Vietnam. I have heard that Apple plans to open a facility in Brazil in the future.
Hey you guys!

I also have the Vietnam earphones! yay
Im just curious-where did you buy yours?
Europe by any chance?

Oh, and I almost forgot: what ipod did you get the Vietnam earphones with?
japonska.cesnja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:52 AM   #13
myrtlebee
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by japonska.cesnja View Post
Hey you guys!

I also have the Vietnam earphones! yay
Im just curious-where did you buy yours?
Europe by any chance?

Oh, and I almost forgot: what ipod did you get the Vietnam earphones with?
Amazon, USA.

Also, I bought an iPod shuffle when this was posted and it was the one with the Vietnam earbuds, AND I just recently, about a month ago, bought an iPod Touch, also from Amazon, that had Vietnam earbuds. Seems to me, they are fairly common with new hardware.
myrtlebee is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Scott Baret
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Apple has historically used factories in more than one location to ramp up production of certain items. Usually, these items will be nearly impossible to distinguish, although slight differences do exist in some products.

Most of the products with discernible differences are input devices from the distant past. Original ADB mice made in Taiwan use a lightweight black ball with a different retaining ring than the ones made in Malaysia and the US, both of which have heavier grey balls. (The clickers on the Malaysian and American models are slightly different). The ADB keyboards made in Mexico used softer keyswitches than those made in other countries.
Scott Baret is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i use iphone 5s (Sprint) in Vietnam phoneuser690 iPhone 4 Mar 15, 2014 11:04 PM
No Google maps (iOS) in Vietnam Kanunu iPad Apps 7 Oct 19, 2013 05:49 AM
Best iPhone version for Vietnam? henryonapple iPhone 26 Sep 30, 2013 04:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC