Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
I have a Hackintosh that's been working great for over a year and want/need to update the OS in order to develop for iOS 5.1

I'd rather not upgrade, but it looks like you can't develop for iOS 5.1 without it.

I've updated the OS last year before Lion and everything is working fine, can I do this update without a full reinstall?

Can someone suggest a disk copy program just in case it fails?

Thanks!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
You'd be better off looking at InsanelyMac. I haven't updated my hackintosh yet, because a. I don't have it with me, and b. Mountain Lion isn't commercially available. I'm content to wait.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Not to mention that anything you do with the beta probably won't work with the final release - stuff can change too much.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Use carbon copy cloner back up your install. The bootloader wont be saved though. To get around that just install the chameleon bootloader to the drive when you restore it. I used a usb caddy and installed chameleon to it from my real mac

When mountain Lion is released, there will be a new unibeast at Tonymacx86 for it which should simplify the upgrade. Id stay away from ML until the release though. Updating the dev previews may be a pain if your hackintosh is not fully native, ie proper dsdt,s and all that jazz

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Ok, I thought ML was already out there. I've resisted any upgrades because I didn't see any direct advantage to me as a dev. Now it looks like all the new 5.1 stuff requires an upgrade.

Maybe I should buy a new HD, clone it with my current install, and upgrade that.

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
i installed ML on my C2D 2007 Hackintosh without any problems on a separate partition with Lion as Dualboot. It's ridiculous that i cant install ML on my late 2007 Macbook.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
i installed ML on my C2D 2007 Hackintosh without any problems on a separate partition with Lion as Dualboot. It's ridiculous that i cant install ML on my late 2007 Macbook.
LOL, that sounds about right, you probably paid less for the hackintosh than the Macbook. I think I'll just install on a separate drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.