Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edlsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I will be receiving my 64gb Verizon iPad at work on Friday and obviously I would like to play with it right away.

Will I need a computer running iTunes to get it going (activated)? My company has a huge hate of anything that they didn't put on my office computer so that would be a big no-go.

Thanks
Jared

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
You just need a wifi connection. You don't need iTunes at all, although it's obviously useful for syncing music and stuff.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes as long as you have access to a wi-fi connection you can set it up now without having to connect to a computer with iTunes. It's been like that since late last year when iOS 5.0 was released I belive. At some point you will want to connect it to iTunes to sync your content.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I will be receiving my 64gb Verizon iPad at work on Friday and obviously I would like to play with it right away.

Will I need a computer running iTunes to get it going (activated)? My company has a huge hate of anything that they didn't put on my office computer so that would be a big no-go.

Thanks
Jared

If it is your first iPad or Apple product you will need to set up an Apple ID and you can do that on your iPad.

If, like me, you have an iPad, you need only sign in with your Apple ID and like magic, Apple downloads all your software, etc to your device. A good WiFi connection is the most important thing to have.

I do not blame your company for securing it's computers. I always fear one of my employees bringing an infected file from home.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
You never have to connect your iPad to a computer if you don't want to. The first time you turn it on it will guide you through setup, very quick and easy.

edlsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks everyone. I don't blame the company for securing things either. It's amazing how stupid some people can be.

We once had someone using a memory stick that served double duty as a Wi-Fi hotspot in a company computer. Just by chance it was discovered before anyone picked up the signal and did any damage.

I do not have access to a Wi-Fi signal EXCEPT the one from my phone. I assume this isn't a big download or anything so I should be okay to use that connection. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, this is actually my first Apple product EVER. No iPods, iPhones, Macs etc.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Thanks everyone. I don't blame the company for securing things either. It's amazing how stupid some people can be.

We once had someone using a memory stick that served double duty as a Wi-Fi hotspot in a company computer. Just by chance it was discovered before anyone picked up the signal and did any damage.

I do not have access to a Wi-Fi signal EXCEPT the one from my phone. I assume this isn't a big download or anything so I should be okay to use that connection. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, this is actually my first Apple product EVER. No iPods, iPhones, Macs etc.

If this is your first Apple product and you have to create an Apple ID. I would wait till you get home. Would not recommend tethering to your phone to set up Apple ID a d your device all thru your phones connection.

edlsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Is the Apple ID the same one I set up to purchase my iPad in the first place? If so, I have that all set up already.

I didn't quite catch why I shouldn't use my phone to tether. (By the way, I used to have an unlimited plan on a Windows phone and somehow when I switched to my Android plan, it stayed unlimited!:D)

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.