Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So, the right side of the front of my beloved iPad 1 seems to be having much more flex than normal (such as the left side of the front). It's also making noise when pressure is applied (basic pressure too, like just holding it on the right side), and making what sounds like a suction noise once it is released. My AppleCare warranty is up on April 7th, and I'm worried this problem would present itself more heavily after the warranty period, especially when I eventually pass this iPad on to my mother, who isn't nearly as tech-savvy as me and hardware problems would push her to not use it anymore without a warranty.

Should I go ahead and make an appointment to have it checked out at the Genuis Bar? I'm worried they'll think I'm tripping and send me packing, saying they can't do anything. Otherwise, it works great (especially with iOS 5.1), but again, I'm just worried about the future with the warranty period end looming.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If the only downside is time spent and the Apple employees "think I'm tripping and send me packing, saying they can't do anything" I think you know the answer.

Small price for piece of mind.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Honestly, if it's under AppleCare warranty and you're worried about it, just take it in for them to look at. It may just be your imagination, it may still be "within spec", or they may think it's actually a problem and give you a replacement...

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
My mother's iPad 1 had the same problem. I think it is the result of the rubber seal drying out and the screen becoming loose. Apple will replace it if its under warranty.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Do you really not know the answer and have to ask?

It's not a matter of knowing the answer, but of asking if anyone else has had this problem. If the answer to that is yes, then that means there's a report of this problem happening before and taking it into the genius bar, some 40 miles away, would be a worthwhile investment of time, money (gas), and effort considering finals are looming and it's week 10 (project and paper time in quarter-system universities).

My mother's iPad 1 had the same problem. I think it is the result of the rubber seal drying out and the screen becoming loose. Apple will replace it if its under warranty.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for letting me know! I'm gonna make an appointment for this weekend to get it checked out.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.