Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Hi There - we are new here and its nice to be posting on Mac Rumors

We've been told by our supplier of our iPad 3 cases that the sleep wake function sensors are in a different place on the new iPad version 3.

So this means iPad 2 cases being used on the iPad 3 will not activate the sleep wake function even through they activate it on the iPad 2.

However we aren't 100% convinced as it doesn't look like Apple have changed their Smart Cases - it looks like they work with both iPad 2 and 3

We had to pull several iPad 3 cases (Case here) off our site today because of our suppliers warning. The iPad 3 cases sleep wake function worked when we tested it with a iPad 2. However we haven't tested it with an iPad 3 yet.

Has anyone heard anything simular?

Thanks

asdtfdr

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Since the smart cover Apple is selling on their store states that it is compatible with iPad 2 and 3rd generation, I suppose the sleep magnet is on the same place.

Also, I already bought a new iPad case from your website, so it better work! :p

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Yes I am skeptical about the sleep wake not working on the iPad 3. However the supplier was very sure they wouldn't work.

I will be first in the queue on Friday, with cases in hand :rolleyes:

We have red and white coming in - however they are on hold until we have tested the cases with the iPad 3.

I hope the supplier is wrong as we have sold quite a few already :eek:

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
Yes I am skeptical about the sleep wake not working on the iPad 3. However the supplier was very sure they wouldn't work.

We have red and white coming in - however they are on hold until we have tested the cases with the iPad 3.

If they work out okay, then i might be interested in a red case.

asdtfdr

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009

Maybe Apple changed the sensor to the center of the right bezel, where smart cover already got some magnets. Let us know after you try.
The sleep wake thing is not that essential for me, I just like the use of the magnets to keep the cover in place. How many magnets do your cases have and where are they placed?

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Just got this from a supplier in Hong Kong:

Just have a chance to give a try on the NEW iPad.

As you all know, it is 0.6mm thicker than the old one
the curve shape beveling is larger, and
the camera lens is a bit larger too
moreover, the magnet on the cover side has changed

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're in a world of crap if you sold a ton of iPad 3 cases that don't actually work with the iPad 3 buddy. That's a bummer.

I thought we all knew about the thickness and slight curve before. Did you have some dimensions that allowed you to make new cases or did you say iPad 2 cases worked on the new iPad? I like your cases, and hopefully new iPad 3 owners aren't disappointed.

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Luckily we haven't sold that many. We see that there are lots of seller selling iPad 2 cases as iPad 3 cases mind you

Our iPad 3 cases where designed for the new dimensions. They are deeper than our iPad 2 cases. If you put an iPad 2 in the case its not a perfect fit - a little loose.

However our new iPad 3 cases haven't taken into account any changes to the sleep wake function.

It will come out in the wash tomorrow!!!

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
My guess is that Apple puts more magnets in their covers so if by some chance all these new 3rd party covers DON'T work it's because the 3rd party manufacturers were too cheap to initially add more magnets.

If Apple says the original Smart-covers work (and they do say that) than obviously EVERYONE ELSE is doing something wrong if their "on/off" magents don't.

From the MacWorld review:
The 2011 and 2012 iPad vintages are so alike, in fact, that they can use the same Smart Covers. And all but the most exacting iPad 2 cases will probably work on the third-generation model. I tried the new iPad with a few assorted iPad 2 cases hanging around our offices and it fit in all of them just fine.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
The teardown by ifixit will be up today so we'll see when they post the pics.

Grandmaster B

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
If the magnets moved, how are Apple advertising Smart Covers working with both 2nd and 3rd gen iPad?

My iPad 3 will be here tomorrow and I already bought a Smart Cover.

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I've just heard from our friends at http://www.yoobao.com - they've tested their iPad 2 Executives cases on the new iPad and sleep wake works. However they are making a new iPad 3 Executive case (now in 8 colours) with wider camera hole and slightly more room in the case.

makmps

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Doesn't work

I can confirm, two different iPad 2 cases a teknet and an Invision ultra slim.
Both fit fine but the lock/unlock function doesn't work.
:(

gekko21

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
I have the official smart cover that I purchased with the iPad 2. I can confirm that it does not wake or sleep on opening and closing. Also, it doesn't completely cover my new iPad, leaving a couple of mm at the edge. Not sure if this is because of the tapered back and/or the magnets being in a slightly different place.

Crafty buggers. I'm giving my iPad 2 to my partner who didn't want the smart cover. I bought her a different cover from Amazon thinking I'd keep using the one I've got. Looks like I'll have to get a new one now.

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
We just got our lovely iPad 3 and can confirm that the sleep wake has changed on the iPad 3 and some iPad 2 cases will NOT work.

We've tested Yoobao Executives iPad 2 - works perfectly

http://www.maikai.co.uk/en/ultra-sl...-with-sleep-wake-for-the-new-ipad-v-3-hd.html - works perfectly

Our iPad 3 Folio case currently off line - sleep doesn't work on iPad 3 but does work on iPad 2

Our iPad 2 folio case (http://www.maikai.co.uk/en/maikai-ultra-slim-pu-leather-ipad-2-smart-folio-case.html) doesn't work

So I think its going to hit and miss with your iPad 2 cases

We are bracing ourselves for lots of returns :-(

maikai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I bought this one from your store. Glad it works. Last week I also bought a smart cover from Apple Store for my girlfriend's birthday, if it does not work with the new iPad I'm fu****.

Thanks for business :0)

We've tested smart case and it works.

We have started to hear some Yoobao cases work and some don't - sounds like it depends on the strength of the magnets

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Its not that the sensor moved as much as its the fact that many cases are using either too few or too small magnets.

The smartcover from Apple works fine and they dont sell different smart covers for the ipad 2 vs 3.

Sometimes cost cutting or being too precise in the design comes back to bite you in the A**.

----------

my guess is that apple puts more magnets in their covers so if by some chance all these new 3rd party covers don't work it's because the 3rd party manufacturers were too cheap to initially add more magnets.

If apple says the original smart-covers work (and they do say that) than obviously everyone else is doing something wrong if their "on/off" magents don't.

From the macworld review:
The 2011 and 2012 ipad vintages are so alike, in fact, that they can use the same smart covers. And all but the most exacting ipad 2 cases will probably work on the third-generation model. I tried the new ipad with a few assorted ipad 2 cases hanging around our offices and it fit in all of them just fine.

+1

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
We just got our lovely iPad 3 and can confirm that the sleep wake has changed on the iPad 3 and some iPad 2 cases will NOT work.

We've tested Yoobao Executives iPad 2 - works perfectly

We are bracing ourselves for lots of returns :-(

don't get too confident on this one...the yoobao executive I just got (latest version) does not work with my iPad3, but works perfectly with my old iPad2. To be clear, it fits fine on either, but the sleep/wake does not work on the "new iPad".

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I can confirm that the Sena Florence portfolio for iPad 2 that I bought (and then returned) today fits the new iPad reasonably well, but the sleep/wake does NOT work. Will hold out a couple of weeks for the new model - it was a lovely case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.