Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Electricpig reports that it has heard from a Mac accessory manufacturer that Apple is planning to launch a 15-inch MacBook Air as soon as April.
And what is coming? If you take our source's word for it, a 15-inch MacBook Air with ports on both sides, no optical drive and no ethernet cable.

While our source wasn't certain that this would completely destroy the Pro (he also stated that Apple might hold on to the 17-inch model, which would make sense for the sizeable audience of professional editors out there), he was fairly sure that the shakeup will happen in April. To that end, our source's company's got its manufacturers on standby to be able to make and ship a new product lineup inside of 90 days.
The source is reportedly involved in "MacBook docking solutions", and while Apple almost certainly hasn't shared any specific information with the source, he does obviously have a strong interest in acquiring such information and may even have access to sources who could provide estimates of Apple's plans. That said, the source may simply be reiterating a previous rumor that had claimed new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models with thinner MacBook Air-like form factors would be launching in April.

macbook_air_open_finger.jpg

One other question still remaining is chip availability from Intel. With delays in the launch of the chip manufacturer's new Ivy Bridge platform and uncertainty about whether these thinner MacBook Pro or larger MacBook Air products would run traditional mobile chips as found in the current MacBook Pro or ultra low voltage chips as found in the MacBook Air, it is not entirely clear when chips for the new machines will become available.

Article Link: Accessory Manufacturer Claims 15-Inch MacBook Air Coming in April

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
I'm really looking forward to this if its true, as long as it keeps a good cpu and high res screen I am sold. So lets get on and do it :) !

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
These updates can't come soon enough. My 2008 Rev. A MBA is on its very last legs and I'm going to upgrade to the larger screen the moment I can. I'm crossing every finger that the Digitimes was, as usual, off base about their Ivy Bridge delay rumors.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
It's probably true (rumor has had it for quite some time now) but I think this is just a shot in the dark.

'Accessory makers' also claimed a 4" iPhone was coming last year but everyone witnessed what happened in the end. Truth is, Apple doesn't tell any accessory maker what they're about to launch.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I really doubt they'll replace the Pro with a 15inch Air.

The Airs are all dual-core i5s.

They'll probably ditch the optical drive at some point for all of their laptops. But the difference between the Air and Pro would be the processor and graphics. And the use of a HDD instead of an SSD.

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
I dunno, maybe I'm a luddite, but I really like the existing macbook pro 15". I don't really see any compelling reason why it should be thinner.

I guess if it's thinner that's fine too, but for me it wouldn't be worth it to trade features (processing power, ethernet port) for thinness.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
These updates can't come soon enough. My 2008 Rev. A MBA is on its very last legs and I'm going to upgrade to the larger screen the moment I can. I'm crossing every finger that the Digitimes was, as usual, off base about their Ivy Bridge delay rumors.

Last legs already? My late 2007 MBP is still going strong. What's wrong with the MBA?

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
No ethernet?

If they do drop the 13/15" pros, I guess i'm going to be replacing my works laptop with a Windows device. :(

I can (sort of) understand leaving the ethernet out of the Air, although there are still plenty of hotels with in room ethernet only. Dropping the smaller form factor Pros though would be a big mistake, IMHO.

I don't doubt Apple would, mind you. A simplified line-up with the 17" holding out on the 'Pro' label, and getting increasingly less updates and love, is what Apple are all about.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
The source is reportedly involved in "MacBook docking solutions"

Fairly certain the power and thunderbolt ports are gonna be the same in the rumored mba.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Ugh, just come out already so I can upgrade to you!

Though, anyone else notice the "no ethernet port?" :confused:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I really doubt they'll replace the Pro with a 15inch Air.

The Airs are all dual-core i5s.

They'll probably ditch the optical drive at some point for all of their laptops. But the difference between the Air and Pro would be the processor and graphics. And the use of a HDD instead of an SSD.

My Macbook Air 11 inch is an i7. The highest end 11 and 13's are i7-equipped.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
No ethernet?

If they do drop the 13/15" pros, I guess i'm going to be replacing my works laptop with a Windows device. :(

I can (sort of) understand leaving the ethernet out of the Air, although there are still plenty of hotels with in room ethernet only. Dropping the smaller form factor Pros though would be a big mistake, IMHO.

I don't doubt Apple would, mind you. A simplified line-up with the 17" holding out on the 'Pro' label, and getting increasingly less updates and love, is what Apple are all about.

Agreed. In fact, I think the current Airs should have had a gigabit ethernet port too. At least create a Thunderbolt gigabit adapter, not that 100mb USB one that's available now.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Anyone got any ideas of how much these will cost?

I'd love it to be cheaper than the 15" MacBook Pro :)
The equivalent sizes on the Airs are generally more expensive than the Pro's. See also the 13" Airs / Pros.

I'm expecting a 15" Air to cost ~$100 more than its Pro counterpart.

chucknelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Waiting...

I haven't purchased a current Macbook Air because I'm waiting on a 15" version. Hope this pans out, although if they don't have Ivy Bridge that could be a bit of a bummer. Want the "latest" chips so I can feel better about keeping the laptop for 5+ years.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Last legs already? My late 2007 MBP is still going strong. What's wrong with the MBA?

Probably Safari isn't snappy enough anymore. I also wonder why all Facebook-Starbucks-Power Users always need the latest and greatest...

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Anyone got any ideas of how much these will cost?

I'd love it to be cheaper than the 15" MacBook Pro :)

well an air would always be cheaper than a pro at same screen size because of the other components. If I had to guess about this i'd say it is more likely a thinner macbook pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.