Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who's for the iPad to have an educational discount?

• Yes

Votes: 94 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raynold2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
As you know, iOS devices are not benefiting from the educational discount, which is particularly shameful for the iPad, touted as the "ultimate teacher's tool".

This post is intended as a wake-up call for Apple - stop being greedy and offer some commercial gesture toward us teachers (as Cameron Diaz said in "Bad Teacher" : "I'm a teacher, not a drug dealer").

So, who's for an educational discount for the iPad ? Just a yes or no will do.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Huh, good luck with that. As long as the iPad continues to sell faster than they can make them, Apple is under no obligation to provide a discount. Just be happy they haven't raised the price on the thing.

Last edited:

siilver1984

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
There is no student discount?
When I was buying mine I tried the student discount it gave me the discount
Didn't take as I'm not a student lol and didn't want any problems with getting th pad

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
No educational discount but they do offer a very small corporate discount if you work for a company that has an EPP plan with Apple.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think Apple gives a lot of corporations or volume purchasers around a 10% discount on the iPad.

So no
discount for individual. But if your school district orders say 1000 iPads, Apple will cut them a deal.

The federal government got a 10% volume discount on iPad purchases recently.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I'm talking about individual employee purchase plans. It's not much of a savings though. Around $10 only for the iPad. Just google apple and CEPP.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
As an MBA student, I would love to see a student discount. It would be nice to have one when I am on the move.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
Why would you need a discount? This thing is only 499. Really, 399 since an iPad 2 would do everything you need.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
We pump enough money into our broken educational system now. :mad:

Any discount would likely be passed on to the non educational iPad buyers. :cool:

raynold2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Why would you need a discount? This thing is only 499. Really, 399 since an iPad 2 would do everything you need.

Strange answer - why not stick to Windows since it can basically perform the same functions as Mac OS ?

There's a basic contradiction between promoting the iPad as a student's and teacher's tool and selling it without a discount. Obviously, schools could buy the iPad 2, but the ethical problem remains.

Button Pusher

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
One of the iPads I purchased is for my wife that is a teacher. I'm hoping it will help her! It would be nice to have received a discount for her iPad.

jjn1766

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about other countries, but under the UK Higher Education agreement UK students/teaching staff receive a discount on iPad purchases... I think it only equates to around £15 off though so it is a far cry from the current Mac discount.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
Strange answer - why not stick to Windows since it can basically perform the same functions as Mac OS ?

There's a basic contradiction between promoting the iPad as a student's and teacher's tool and selling it without a discount. Obviously, schools could buy the iPad 2, but the ethical problem remains.

I don't see a contradiction at all. The iPad is already basically budget priced. If a windows machine does everything you need, then get one? I doubt you'll find a quality windows machine for $400

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I'm talking about individual employee purchase plans. It's not much of a savings though. Around $10 only for the iPad. Just google apple and CEPP.

I saved a whopping $15 buying through my employer's purchase plan. :D

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
iPads are cheap enough for schools to afford them on volume. In all honesty, they are cheaper than text books. Once more textbooks are available, the iPad can replace all the textbooks in the classroom. Ecological impact should be minimal and our children won't have to carry 100lbs worth of paper anymore. I think that's a pretty good trade off.

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
If an iPad was a necessity for education (like pens, textbooks, etc...) then yes, it should be available through educational subsidy. However, at the moment, the iPad is still a good accessory and not a necessity, so it shouldn't be subject to public payment. If Apple offer a discount directly, then good for them, but they're under no obligation to do so.

The iPad is expensive, but for the product you're receiving it's not bad value at its RRP.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
No educational discount but they do offer a very small corporate discount if you work for a company that has an EPP plan with Apple.

Corporate discount I'm seeing right now averages $10 off.

Apple education discount when I went to University in the early 90s was around 40% off.
----------

Great, so the tax payers are expected to buy it!:mad:

Yeah well one of the things I don't mind paying for is education of our populace. Judging by your foolish Obama as joker icon I wouldn't expect you to understand.

----------

We pump enough money into our broken educational system now. :mad:

Any discount would likely be passed on to the non educational iPad buyers. :cool:

Yes we should just give up on education. There are more important things like the idiotic wars we are engaged in and corporate welfare. The real enemy are teachers, cops, firemen, and janitors. Everybody who watches Fox news knows that.

adenbeckitt

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Hmmm. In the UK there is definitely a student discount on the iPad. It's about £15.

I assure you.

EDIT: jjn1766 beat me to it.
REMINDER: Read full thread before posting.

raynold2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Not anymore. it was $10 whole dollars off but now its retail price.

----------

Yeah well one of the things I don't mind paying for is education of our populace. Judging by your foolish Obama as joker icon I wouldn't expect you to understand.

----------

Yes we should just give up on education. There are more important things like the idiotic wars we are engaged in and corporate welfare. The real enemy are teachers, cops, firemen, and janitors. Everybody who watches Fox news knows that.

I couldn't agree more. Apparently, there's a lot of disgruntled students who voted "no" just because they don't want us to get a discount.

The MBA is not "necessary" to schools, but there's a discount.

And since OS Lion is more or less a copycat of iOS, the contradiction becomes even more glaring.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I couldn't agree more. Apparently, there's a lot of disgruntled students who voted "no" just because they don't want us to get a discount.

The MBA is not "necessary" to schools, but there's a discount.

And since OS Lion is more or less a copycat of iOS, the contradiction becomes even more glaring.

I was with you up the the Lion comment. Lion has a few iOS features thats all. its a full fledged laptop/desktop OS other wise. One things about the iPad is Apple makes a lower profit margin on it than their other products so they are less likely to have a big discount. Keeping the latest iPad at the same price while using a more expensive display, battery, radio chips and camera means an even lower profit margin than before. I would expect Apples answer to be buy the iPad 2. I see about $10 off that for corporate discount as well so probably around $390 for education discount on a 16GB iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.