Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Awfisch
macrumors member

Dock/Stand for new iPad?

I just purchased the new iPad. I bought a smart cover after using them and really like them. Should I get a dock/stand as well? Does anyone use the smart cover AND a dock/stand? What is an advantage of using a dock/stand?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
iNtrigued
macrumors member

My 2 cents worth.....

I personally like the Smart Covers because it doesn't add bulk to my iPad and they look nice. I have the Black leather Smart Cover. I'm not that clumsy so I don't look into cases that add bulk. Smart Cover does the job for me.

I used a dock with my iPad. Basically, the use I had for it was overnight charging. I really didnt use for anything else. I wouldnt watch movies or listen to music while it was charging on the dock. (Maybe because I used my iPhone 4S while it was charging) The advantage is that you dont have to worry about your iPad getting sctached or dropped if laying down on a table or desk while charging. While on the dock you know it'll be safe (if no one tips it over) and won't get scratched when moved around.

Hope this helps....
iNtrigued is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

I like Apple's dock for the iPad, but I think I like this one more as you aren't required to plug it in to the 30 pin to use the dock. It also looks like something Apple would release.

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Stand-Silver-iPad-Tablet/dp/B003QD4D6U
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41n5IF7UyUL.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	329570  
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

^ I have this one as well. I have the P2 for iPad and M2 for iPhone. Both are pretty simple, clean looking which is why I got them. If you want a no frills sort of dock then the elago is a good bet. Personally, I'm not a fan of the bluetooth enabled, sync/charging, tilty swing arm type docks/stands. I just prefer something simple to rest my device on. Another good thing with this is that it'll work with or without a case on it so that's a plus for me as well.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Nightprowler
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
...I like this one more as you aren't required to plug it in to the 30 pin to use the dock....
Excuse my ignorance, but whats the problem in using the 30pin every time?
Nightprowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Jnava420
macrumors regular

I Do

I use a Ipad2 with black leather smart cover and apples official dock. its a nice set up the only down side is when you slide it in the dock you either have to like scrunch up the bottom of the smart cover to get it to squish in the dock, or you can let the cover go on after you dock it then the lower part of the smart cover, covers the lip of the dock as well.....i do the second option normally.....google....TWELVE SOUTH...they got some cool accesories besides just there unique ipad dock
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but whats the problem in using the 30pin every time?
Using it, I don't have a problem. When docking an iPad, I do. I'd much rather just sit my iPad on a dock than have to make sure it gets plugged in just to use the dock.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Aksta
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I like Apple's dock for the iPad, but I think I like this one more as you aren't required to plug it in to the 30 pin to use the dock. It also looks like something Apple would release.

http://www.amazon.com/elago-Stand-Silver-iPad-Tablet/dp/B003QD4D6U
ooo this will go great with my rain mstand. i will have to return my dock when it comes and get this instead.

Thats if i can find it in the uk..

Last edited by Aksta; Mar 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Aksta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
imwoblin
macrumors 6502

I've been using my Stump for my iPad 2 and it works excellent. Picked it up at Amazon. Sometimes the simple things work best...

http://www.stumpstore.com/
imwoblin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:28 AM   #10
sara1027
macrumors newbie

see vendor information in user profile
Send a message via MSN to sara1027 Send a message via Yahoo to sara1027 Send a message via Skype™ to sara1027
Smile advantages of one iPad case with stand

if the case with stand, it allows for hands-free video watching.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksta View Post
ooo this will go great with my rain mstand. i will have to return my dock when it comes and get this instead.

Thats if i can find it in the uk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by imwoblin View Post
I've been using my Stump for my iPad 2 and it works excellent. Picked it up at Amazon. Sometimes the simple things work best...

http://www.stumpstore.com/

your iPad case is good. I have used a new iPad case with stand via http://www.eva-product.com/iPad-Foam-Case-224-1.html really durable and cute.
sara1027 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Guys, don't these dock need to have a Lightning connector to work with the new iPad?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
dock, new ipad, smart cover, stand