Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I've been reading recommendations on Screen protectors. I am mostly interested in anti-glare. I have the Power Support and besides the anti-glare benefit, it reduces fingerpints and feels great - no impact on responsiveness.

But I'm wondering, with the retina display, is there impact to the display quality by adding a screen protector?

tekm

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
CA
Just google reviews for anti-glare screen protectors for iPhone 4/4s to get a general idea on how the protectors affect screen clarity on retina displays. I think the general consensus is that there definitely will be a trade off in clarity, which is more pronounced with the retina display, though it varies slightly depending on the film used.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I think some people will answer that there is not, but I believe screen protectors cut down on the screen clarity. In my experience anti-glare protectors have been especially bad for clarity. I've used Power Support, Invisible shield, and several other brands. Over the last year or so I've stopped using them altogether. The screens are harder to scratch then you would think and you can't beat the feeling and look of just the glass!

xyphr3

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
my dad has an antiglare screen cover for his iPhone 4 and it does cut down on the clarity. Both he and I are in the eye glasses business and antireflection (AR) coating for glasses are very different for screen covers and picture frames. While AR for glasses make the lens clearer, AR for picture frames and screen covers actually make the object a little darker. Compared between his AR cover and my regular cover, mine is brighter on the same brightness setting.

cashel

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
I understand anti-glare protectors obstructing clarity, but what about the standard non-anti-glare screen protectors like Zaag Invisible Shield? Do those have any effect on the clarity of the retina screen (I suppose this is more towards iPhone 4 users as none of us have really seen the iPad screen in person yet).

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
I understand anti-glare protectors obstructing clarity, but what about the standard non-anti-glare screen protectors like Zaag Invisible Shield? Do those have any effect on the clarity of the retina screen (I suppose this is more towards iPhone 4 users as none of us have really seen the iPad screen in person yet).

"Crystal clear" skins have no impact on the clarity of the screen. They look like crystal, just like the one the iPhone/iPad has in front of the actual panel. I have one of these myself on my iPhone 4S (power support), you can barely see it and there is no difference whatsoever with or without it.

This is not true for the anti-glare ones, because of the texture they have.

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
"Crystal clear" skins have no impact on the clarity of the screen. They look like crystal, just like the one the iPhone/iPad has in front of the actual panel. I have one of these myself on my iPhone 4S (power support), you can barely see it and there is no difference whatsoever with or without it.

This is not true for the anti-glare ones, because of the texture they have.

I agree, have always used crystal protectors on all my gadgets.

Yes, the OEM glass is very scratch resistant but on those rare occasions you have a newbie look at it and start jamming their fingers all over the screen with their jacket sleeve that may have a button on it you'll feel a whole lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.