Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Florida police attempting to cover up the shooting of a 17 year old.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/neighborhoo...s#.T2EUuhHCnnh

Seems suspicious as hell to me. Neighborhood watch "Johnny Justice" goes out looking to "stop a criminal" and surprise surprise someone ends up dead.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Fazzy
macrumors 6502

looks like police are acting as vigilante themselves.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Unfotunately, this is the end result of the neo-vigilante laws cropping up across the country. Give a redneck a gun and there's no doubt what the end result will be.
Ugg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Squadleader
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_piano295 View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/neighborhoo...s#.T2EUuhHCnnh
Seems suspicious as hell to me. Neighborhood watch "Johnny Justice" goes out looking to "stop a criminal" and surprise surprise someone ends up dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzy View Post
looks like police are acting as vigilante themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Unfotunately, this is the end result of the neo-vigilante laws cropping up across the country. Give a redneck a gun and there's no doubt what the end result will be.
Yea we are all rednecks in Orlando, and the cops are covering up for some dips*t because he must donate to the FOP...& of course the cops are acting as vigilante's because they cant make a charge YET....

"Florida police attempting to cover up the shooting of a 17 year old."

They should sue you, when the smoke clears......
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadleader View Post
\cant make a charge YET....
Can't make a charge =/= To coaching witnesses to imply the innocence of the accused, or lying about the accused's former criminal record.

You didn't read the article did you .
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:15 PM   #6
tjb1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Can't make a charge =/= To coaching witnesses to imply the innocence of the accused, or lying about the accused's former criminal record.

You believe everything you read? Poor poor soul...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yea we are all rednecks in Orlando, and the cops are covering up for some dips*t because he must donate to the FOP...& of course the cops are acting as vigilante's because they cant make a charge YET....

"Florida police attempting to cover up the shooting of a 17 year old."

They should sue you, when the smoke clears......
Which statements are you disputing?

One guy is walking home.

Another guy follows, then chases him, then attempts to detain him.

They fight.

The guy who was chased down is shot by the chaser.

The shooter and the witnesses all agree about all of these points.

Sounds like murder to me. I await the results of the investigation "when the smoke clears".
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:38 PM   #8
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

This is exactly why we need to get guns in the hands of more people.

The innocent 17-year-old could have shot the watch captain before he had a chance to shoot him.

citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:46 PM   #9
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Show me a redneck without a gun and I will be surprised. Statistically speaking you are fearing the wrong people with guns.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:02 AM   #10
Jb07
macrumors 6502

I honestly think that had that been a black man and a white kid, the man would already be arrested and in jail. Racism at its finest right here.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:10 AM   #11
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Show me a redneck without a gun and I will be surprised. Statistically speaking you are fearing the wrong people with guns.
And just who are the people we need to fear ZA?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And just who are the people we need to fear ZA?
The ones who are most likely to shoot you. I'm willing to bet rednecks (another term for southern whites) have more guns than any other demographic yet they are not leading in kills. So either their aim sucks or guns and rednecks don't necessarily mean violence.

To answer your question more directly if you were to avoid a demographic for fear of being shot you would stay away from males, black and Hispanic. If you are black yourself you are also much more likely to be shot by a black person.

Or you could realize this is just one news story and everyone with a gun isn't off killing people.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:33 AM   #13
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Or you could realize this is just one news story and everyone with a gun isn't off killing people.
I'll agree to that point, lets not turn the incident into another excuse to have the guns debate.

What deserves attention her is the dubious nature of this story, the behavior of police, and why this man hasn't been arrested.

If I decide someone is suspicious and act in a threatening manner towards that person and they defend themselves (because they feel threatened) that doesn't mean you have grounds to use deadly force.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'll agree to that point, lets not turn the incident into another excuse to have the guns debate.

What deserves attention her is the dubious nature of this story, the behavior of police, and why this man hasn't been arrested.

If I decide someone is suspicious and act in a threatening manner towards that person and they defend themselves (because they feel threatened) that doesn't mean you have grounds to use deadly force.
Leaving guns out of it then. I feel like either there is more information to this story or the captain is just a complete idiot. I mean was all this kid doing is walking? I didn't see a time stamp on the news story, it just sounds very peculiar that a neighborhood watch would take after someone for walking. He also said he was getting away with something. What?

If the scenario was a) person steals something b) citizen attempts to detain c) fight breaks out d) perpetrator shot. I have no problem with this. If the person wasn't doing anything but walking that another story.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:10 AM   #15
eawmp1
macrumors 601

1) For all you people lumping a very diverse state int 1 bucket: stop. Sanford is not Orlando.
2) There is a significant amount of local outcry. Here is a local columnist from yesterday.
eawmp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

@ Ugg, I cannot really understand the comment about rednecks and guns. Orlando is not a city I'd consider to be redneck, backwards or otherwise. That comment seems displaced among all of this.

I feel for those parents. The kid appears to be pretty straight (recent photo in a football uniform) with what seem to be well put together parents. I'm sure there was some coaching by their lawyer to ensure they came off as mild-mannered, well dressed, and well spoken people but it seems easy to cut through that if it is truly BS. Then you have this 28 year old who looks like he could physically overpower the 17 year old in a heartbeat. He looks Latin so I don't think this is white against black. I think Zimmerman f'ed up and his background clearly shows he has a slight problem with authority and anger.

It's sad this is seemingly covered up because although I can't believe everything I read, the situation as it has been laid out for us certainly makes me believe this was an innocent kid walking in what sounds to be the early evening (13 year olds walking dogs aren't prone to be around late at night) who was met by some bastard with a gun.
GoCubsGo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:31 AM   #17
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Facepalm.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:53 PM   #18
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Leaving guns out of it then. I feel like either there is more information to this story or the captain is just a complete idiot. I mean was all this kid doing is walking? I didn't see a time stamp on the news story, it just sounds very peculiar that a neighborhood watch would take after someone for walking. He also said he was getting away with something. What?

If the scenario was a) person steals something b) citizen attempts to detain c) fight breaks out d) perpetrator shot. I have no problem with this. If the person wasn't doing anything but walking that another story.
1) Zimmerman called to report a "suspicious person" to the police black male with a hood up = automatically suspicious.

2) Zimmerman felt the person who he felt must be doing something criminal based on his "suspicious nature" would "get away". Not that he was getting away with something but that he would be gone before police arrived.

3) Dispatch informed Zimmerman not to approach the "suspicious person"

4) Zimmerman disregarded dispatch and chose to approach and confront the "suspicious person"

-So now we have a private un-trained citizen approaching someone without cause or identification in what is probably a hostile manner
-Some sort of conflict ensues (If I was approached by a threatening stranger for no known reason I would likely feel threatened)
-At some point during the struggle the boy (later discovered to be totally un-armed and no mention of any criminal activity taking place) is fatally shot.

Finally witnesses claim that they herd the victim shouting for help, but police on the scene attempted to coach witnesses to state that Zimmerman not the victim was shouting for help.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:59 PM   #19
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I mean was all this kid doing is walking?
No.

Apparently he was also dark skinned and ... *gasp* ... wearing a hoodie.
citizenzen is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:44 PM   #20
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
No.

Apparently he was also dark skinned and ... *gasp* ... wearing a hoodie.
I know, these god damn white rednecks are just blasting up the place acting like cowboys and killing anyone with brown skin.

Wait.... is this guy Hispanic? Where's his cowboy hat?

What a bunch of racists in this thread.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:31 AM   #21
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wait.... is this guy Hispanic? Where's his cowboy hat?
All you have to do is give ZA the slightest prodding, and he'll say the damnedest things.

That's what I love about the guy.
citizenzen is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Squadleader
Banned

Quote:

Apparently you didn't.....or should re-read, what the FACTS are and WHY there has been no charges YET..Then you should apologize and kiss every police officers ass in the State of Florida for your obviously biased Title...
Squadleader is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I think the police involved need serious retraining. They did some shoddy police work. The article mentions the police coaching a witness as well as questioning a witness. The police were in the wrong.

They also never checked his police record at the scene and took him for his word.

I definitely hope this guy gets charged with murder. Theres no excuse for what he did. Just another idiot with a gun who can't wait for an excuse to use it.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:44 PM   #24
renewed
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I definitely hope this guy gets charged with murder. Theres no excuse for what he did. Just another idiot with a gun who can't wait for an excuse to use it.
Seems like this sums it up nicely.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:50 PM   #25
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Apparently you didn't.....or should re-read, what the FACTS are and WHY there has been no charges YET..Then you should apologize and kiss every police officers ass in the State of Florida for your obviously biased Title...
I just read it and I am open-minded here, so help me out: what did I miss. Some guy decides that another guy is a threat and tries to stop him from doing what? Walking? So a fight breaks out. The guy who tried to detain some dude who was just walking winds up shooting him dead. And this is not a crime why? Seriously. what am I missing? Can I just decide to detain anyone I want and if they fight me to prevent my detaining (?) of them, shoot them and that's ok? I honestly don't get it.
Mac'nCheese is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues