Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1
littlepooch21
macrumors member

iCloud Movie Question

Do you guys download your movies that are in the iCloud as a back up or not? I have about 100 movies(digital copy's) on my iTunes account. I don't have them downloaded on my computer or saved and I'm wondering if I should, or just keep them i the iCloud. I wondering if they will be save, or if I may lose them.
littlepooch21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Toubro
macrumors newbie

I would definitely download them. If you search these forums, you'll find people have lost a lot of movies because if the agreement between the media provider, (the studio), and Apple ends, it is naturally removed from the iTunes Store and therefore the cloud.
Toubro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:47 AM   #3
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God

Yes, all mine are downloaded. An external 1TB hard drive is inexpensive so you don't need to worry about taking up space on your computer; it's definitely worth doing.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601

This is part of the reason I do not purchase from iTunes Store any more (movies wise) I had a lot of I think it was wb movies and when they changed hands the rights for the movies changed forcing a repurchase as I hadn't downloaded and saved them. I lost around 50 movies. Obviously Apple helped me out and gave me full refunds for everything as the price had changed.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Cinephi1e
macrumors regular

I like to think of my iCloud movies as my backup of the primary copies which I have downloaded locally.
Cinephi1e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
LV426
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toubro View Post
I would definitely download them. If you search these forums, you'll find people have lost a lot of movies because if the agreement between the media provider, (the studio), and Apple ends, it is naturally removed from the iTunes Store and therefore the cloud.
You might want to double-check whether this is still a real concern. I have one particular movie in my purchased collection that is no longer available for purchase in iTunes. I can, however, download it from the cloud no problem, even though it's no longer for sale or rent.
LV426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:48 PM   #7
arbogast777
macrumors regular

This is a big frustration for me because I personally feel "safer" buying movies from Ultraviolet for the simple reason that I don't think the studios will pull movies from... themselves, basically... but they certainly can from Apple. However I much prefer the Apple TV from the Roku, so there is no perfect solution for the moment.

Now if Apple were to join UV...
arbogast777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
babens
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
You might want to double-check whether this is still a real concern. I have one particular movie in my purchased collection that is no longer available for purchase in iTunes. I can, however, download it from the cloud no problem, even though it's no longer for sale or rent.
I have a movie that is the exact opposite. I purchased Carrie from iTunes a while back. It is now only available on the iTunes store as a rental. It does not show up in the "purchased" section nor as a download available on my other devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV). If I had not downloaded a copy to my hard drive when I purchased it and just relied on downloading it from the cloud then I would be out of luck at this point.

So I assume whether it remains available in the cloud when it is no longer available in the store depends on what agreement the studio/distributor has with Apple and iTunes.
babens is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater